BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3 and X4 Forums | F25 (2011 - 2017) | F26 (2014 - Current) Second Generation BMW X3 (F25) General Forum LED foglights for pre-LCI

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
pungo
Captain
pungo's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
LED foglights for pre-LCI

Looking at some of the aftermarket LED fog light assemblies for a 2011. Came across these on ebay. Anyone have any experience with them?



Or is it better to retrofit a LCI LED fog? What else is needed besides the LED assembly? I was reading somewhere that the bracket for the assembly is different. Not sure about the wiring connector or light module coding. Has anyone put LCI fogs in their pre-LCI?


Hoping to increase lighting to the sides of the road on the narrow dark country roads I drive on.

Ebay Fog Light Link


Name:  led fog.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  30.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #2
g2423_1
New Member
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The wiring is plug and play but you need to code lighting module or else it will flicker
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
hardparker
BMX3er
158
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: 2014 X3 M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Pre-LCI and LCI fog lights are not interchangeable. They mount differently. You'd need to go with LED bulbs for stock fog light housing. Make sure to get error-free LED bulbs or you'll need error-free resistor harnesses. Optionally, coding to remove the error.
__________________
F25 X3 35i M Sport | 12.1 @ 111 @ a mile high | PS2 + inlet | UR de-catted DP | VRSF Race IC | FTP full pipes | BM3 PTF tuned | XDI-35 HPFP | Stage 2 LPFP | Ethanol mixed | WMI | Oil cooler | xHP | X5 50i brakes
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
pungo
Captain
pungo's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
Pre-LCI and LCI fog lights are not interchangeable. They mount differently. You'd need to go with LED bulbs for stock fog light housing. Make sure to get error-free LED bulbs or you'll need error-free resistor harnesses. Optionally, coding to remove the error.

The aftermarket ones I linked in the first post says they fit 2011 model. I read that LCI ones will work but the LCI mounting brackets are required. Either way, I plan to code out the error.


My question is has anyone had any experience with these aftermarket LED fogs I linked?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
112
Rep
503
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

I have LED LCI on my 2011 X3, I have the whole front end converted. These fogs flicker, I coded them out, but they still flicker, I changed the input in FRM to "LED BulB" and they still flicker. I bought some LED resistors, but had no time to plug them in yet since you have to remove the bumper, and fender flares.
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
pungo
Captain
pungo's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I have LED LCI on my 2011 X3, I have the whole front end converted. These fogs flicker, I coded them out, but they still flicker, I changed the input in FRM to "LED BulB" and they still flicker. I bought some LED resistors, but had no time to plug them in yet since you have to remove the bumper, and fender flares.
Sucks you spent the effort to change to full LCI front and got flickering fogs. Wonder if there's some other coding besides what you already tried that will eliminate the flicker. If you do get the flickering to stop, let use know what worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
112
Rep
503
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I have LED LCI on my 2011 X3, I have the whole front end converted. These fogs flicker, I coded them out, but they still flicker, I changed the input in FRM to "LED BulB" and they still flicker. I bought some LED resistors, but had no time to plug them in yet since you have to remove the bumper, and fender flares.
Sucks you spent the effort to change to full LCI front and got flickering fogs. Wonder if there's some other coding besides what you already tried that will eliminate the flicker. If you do get the flickering to stop, let use know what worked.
Yeah, it's not a big deal though. I never really use the fog lights. Plus I'm 100% sure the resistors will work. I have read that people on the F30 forum code their FRM when they change to LED bulbs in fogs and it works, but someone suggested that it's easier just to plug in some resistors
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
pungo
Captain
pungo's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I have LED LCI on my 2011 X3, I have the whole front end converted. These fogs flicker, I coded them out, but they still flicker, I changed the input in FRM to "LED BulB" and they still flicker. I bought some LED resistors, but had no time to plug them in yet since you have to remove the bumper, and fender flares.
You changed the bracket that holds the fog light? Do you have the part number?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
112
Rep
503
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

So I got some pnp resistors for my fogs and that did not work, the fog lights did not even turn on with resisters in place. I coded and still they flicker.
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
pungo
Captain
pungo's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
So I got some pnp resistors for my fogs and that did not work, the fog lights did not even turn on with resisters in place. I coded and still they flicker.
What exactly did you code?

FRM>3090>AUSG_11_NSW_L_IS_LED>aktiv
FRM>3090>AUSG_12_NSW_R_IS_LED>aktiv
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #11
Mpw2081
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: X3 sDrive
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: St Helen's

iTrader: (0)

Can anybody recommend led bulb upgrades for DRL lights on x3 sdrive version
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
112
Rep
503
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
What exactly did you code?

FRM>3090>AUSG_11_NSW_L_IS_LED>aktiv
FRM>3090>AUSG_12_NSW_R_IS_LED>aktiv
That is the first thing I did and they still flicker
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
Lorenas
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Hi! I have retrofitted (for mine 2015 f25 LCI) genuine LED front antifogs, coded (bimmercode) lamps for LED and cold/warm check has been disabled as well. No error codes, though flickering starts after some 20seconds. It needs some deeper coding in expert mode. I found some coding ideas but with that was with ESys. Any ideas how to solve situation with Bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #14
Lorenas
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

As I have mentioned before after retrofitting genuine LED fog lights, coded with BimmerCode for LED lamps also warm and cold check on nonexpert mode. Error messages gone but flickering after some 20sec from start was a problem to deal with. With some help from BimmerCode team and some tinkering I have now working trouble free original LED fogs. See coding below.


In my case besides of:
NSW_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG » nicht_aktiv
NSW_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG » nicht_aktiv
NSW_L_KURZSCHLUSS » nicht_aktiv
NSW_L_IS_LED » aktiv
NSW_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG » nicht_aktiv
NSW_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG » nicht_aktiv
NSW_R_KURZSCHLUSS » nicht_aktiv
NSW_R_IS_LED » aktiv

Needed to code this:
AUSG_12_NSW_R_VORGLUEHEN_AKTIV aktiv>>nicht aktiv
Same thing with
AUSG_12_NSW_L_VORGLUEHEN_AKTIV aktiv >>nicht altiv

Update: it looks like flickering’s gone while fog lights come with low beam. If turn on position lights with fog lights (rings + fogs) then flickering starts after a while). I will check and update if I find coding.

Last edited by Lorenas; 09-03-2019 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:55 AM   #15
Lorenas
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Tried many things yesterday but it looks was needed to code U_EFF_NSW
In my case it has been set to 13,4v and there were 2 other options: 100% or 13v. I have set on 100% and now it is not flickering anymore. If you have comments on this, please respond.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #16
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
112
Rep
503
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenas View Post
Tried many things yesterday but it looks was needed to code U_EFF_NSW
In my case it has been set to 13,4v and there were 2 other options: 100% or 13v. I have set on 100% and now it is not flickering anymore. If you have comments on this, please respond.
WOW! Thank you so much for all the info, I will code it all and report back
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #17
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
18
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: X3 35i Xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Newbury, MA

iTrader: (0)

What has been used as bulb replacement and harness upgrade without the need for coding on a pre-facelift model? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:01 AM   #18
Lorenas
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

In my case (F25 LCI) it looks like this now:

AUSG_11(12)_NSW_EINSCHALTSTROMRED.. aktiv 0x01
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_IS_LED aktiv 0x01
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_IS_INDICATOR nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L_(R)_IS_XENON nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L_(R)_KALT_UEBERW_AKTIV nicht_aktiv_vor_lci 0x00 nicht_aktiv_ab_lci 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_KURZSCHLUSS wert_01 0x9A
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_OPENLOAD wert_01 0x1E
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_PART_OPENLOAD wert_01 0x7F
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_VORGLUEHEN_AKTIV nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_WARM_UBERW-AKTIV nicht_aktiv_vor_lci 0x00 nicht_aktiv_ab_lci 0x00
DUAL_SPG_AKTIV_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00
FLB_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00
DUAL-DUMP_SCHUTZ_NSW aktiv 0x01
NSW_AUS_BEI_FL nicht_aktiv 0x00
U_EFF_NSW wert_02__100% 0x32
WL_FUNKTION_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00

I hope everybody understands what I mean 11(12) or L(R) - just did not want to expand everything double that size. Also I want to say that I didn’t post this unless was waiting for response from BimmerCode, though after request fro one of members I share it here. It works ok, though I am not sure how bright should it be. Anyway, flickering is gone. Note: my car is without cornering lights function. This is purely my experience which I share and would not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong while you coding your car yourself. Always use backup restore function if something is not working after coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
112
Rep
503
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenas View Post
In my case (F25 LCI) it looks like this now:

AUSG_11(12)_NSW_EINSCHALTSTROMRED.. aktiv 0x01
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_IS_LED aktiv 0x01
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_IS_INDICATOR nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L_(R)_IS_XENON nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L_(R)_KALT_UEBERW_AKTIV nicht_aktiv_vor_lci 0x00 nicht_aktiv_ab_lci 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_KURZSCHLUSS wert_01 0x9A
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_OPENLOAD wert_01 0x1E
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_PART_OPENLOAD wert_01 0x7F
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_VORGLUEHEN_AKTIV nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_WARM_UBERW-AKTIV nicht_aktiv_vor_lci 0x00 nicht_aktiv_ab_lci 0x00
DUAL_SPG_AKTIV_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00
FLB_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00
DUAL-DUMP_SCHUTZ_NSW aktiv 0x01
NSW_AUS_BEI_FL nicht_aktiv 0x00
U_EFF_NSW wert_02__100% 0x32
WL_FUNKTION_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00

I hope everybody understands what I mean 11(12) or L(R) - just did not want to expand everything double that size. Also I want to say that I didn’t post this unless was waiting for response from BimmerCode, though after request fro one of members I share it here. It works ok, though I am not sure how bright should it be. Anyway, flickering is gone. Note: my car is without cornering lights function. This is purely my experience which I share and would not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong while you coding your car yourself. Always use backup restore function if something is not working after coding.
Thanks, looks like mine worked.

Do you know how to turn on Fog Lights as Daytime Running Lights?
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
Lorenas
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Can’t say about fogs for DRL. Should be somewhere. Ask BimmerCode team for a hint.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
RichardH
Private First Class
RichardH's Avatar
South Africa
14
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: X5M
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenas View Post
In my case (F25 LCI) it looks like this now:

AUSG_11(12)_NSW_EINSCHALTSTROMRED.. aktiv 0x01
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_IS_LED aktiv 0x01
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_IS_INDICATOR nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L_(R)_IS_XENON nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L_(R)_KALT_UEBERW_AKTIV nicht_aktiv_vor_lci 0x00 nicht_aktiv_ab_lci 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_KURZSCHLUSS wert_01 0x9A
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_OPENLOAD wert_01 0x1E
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_PART_OPENLOAD wert_01 0x7F
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_VORGLUEHEN_AKTIV nicht_aktiv 0x00
AUSG_11(12)_NSW_L(R)_WARM_UBERW-AKTIV nicht_aktiv_vor_lci 0x00 nicht_aktiv_ab_lci 0x00
DUAL_SPG_AKTIV_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00
FLB_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00
DUAL-DUMP_SCHUTZ_NSW aktiv 0x01
NSW_AUS_BEI_FL nicht_aktiv 0x00
U_EFF_NSW wert_02__100% 0x32
WL_FUNKTION_NSW nicht_aktiv 0x00

I hope everybody understands what I mean 11(12) or L(R) - just did not want to expand everything double that size. Also I want to say that I didn’t post this unless was waiting for response from BimmerCode, though after request fro one of members I share it here. It works ok, though I am not sure how bright should it be. Anyway, flickering is gone. Note: my car is without cornering lights function. This is purely my experience which I share and would not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong while you coding your car yourself. Always use backup restore function if something is not working after coding.

Thanks for this worked like a charm.
After 2 years i can now use my foglights without flickering
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #22
willywi
New Member
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2013BMW x3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Wow, after coding "U_EFF_NSW wert_02__100% 0x32" the lights no longer flicker.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST