BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

how to put car thru automatic wash?

okay got my X3M stuck today, wasn't even thinking it would have a special setting as my M3 never had issues but didn't have all the safety tech...

Well long story short they told me to back out after they opened front lift door, except while I was backing out the door CLOSED on my car.

felt the weight of it push down my car, immediatly drove forward a bit.
thought I got away clean (no damage, so a few scratches but didn't look like the door would have caused them because of location), no paint damage or dents...

Then I got home and realized it must have directly hit on my rear windshield (still works) but it ripped off the cap where it connects to window, I did check ground before I left just incase but didn't see anything, especially not that size, must have gone flying somewhere. probably broke anyway (so wouldn't just pop back on). Looks like that was hopefully only damage and online I can get that part for about $25 shipped, assuming it will just clip on!).

Anyway, back to the issue of carwash setting? I had it in nuetral, is there something else special I need to do? track kept trying to pull my car and it wouldn't budge.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

You will likely have 36 people tell you that you should never use an Automatic Car Wash...

I remember the first time I got my M40 stuck in the car wash. I wasn't used the the "brake hold" so it was activated and the car wouldn't move. It is a moment of panic as you fell like everyone is watching you and you are about to ruin your car.

The workers were all yelling at me in Spanish and I was just hitting every button I could find. It seemed like it was a 30 minute ordeal but in reality it was probably 3 minutes.

Once I figured it out I screamed back "obviously it's a new Effing car!!!".

I bet you had the "brake hold" activated too.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
You will likely have 36 people tell you that you should never use an Automatic Car Wash...

I remember the first time I got my M40 stuck in the car wash. I wasn't used the the "brake hold" so it was activated and the car wouldn't move. It is a moment of panic as you fell like everyone is watching you and you are about to ruin your car.

The workers were all yelling at me in Spanish and I was just hitting every button I could find. It seemed like it was a 30 minute ordeal but in reality it was probably 3 minutes.

LOL yep expecting it, but this wash was very good on my M3 and its a lease and i dont have time to hand wash or want to in chicago winters
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
LOL yep expecting it, but this wash was very good on my M3 and its a lease and i dont have time to hand wash or want to in chicago winters
I get it. I run mine through at least once a week. It's a car and I have better things to do then to wash a car.....

Only people on forums would notice it has swirls, to 99% of the population my car just looks clean all the time.

It has never affected my resale value whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      11-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post

Is break hold the parking hold button? The one where at a stop light when you take off your foot from break it "holds" until you hit gas?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Make sure this is OFF! (I’ve done the same thing at the car wash.)
Attached Images

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS

Last edited by SWOT1; 11-25-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mako1549.00
      11-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Is break hold the parking hold button? The one where at a stop light when you take off your foot from break it "holds" until you hit gas?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Pics please