BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
XOXOJOY
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Thumbs down 2018 X3 Brake pad replacement after 25K miles?

Since the first 2006 330xi that I had, I've owned a few Bimmers throughout the years. Never have I ever remembered replacing brake pad at 25K miles? (40,000KM)

In Canada and drive 70% highway 30% city roads to work everyday.

Is it normal or something 'new' that BMW invested with 'new' technology?

(Sorry for being ironic, I've started to notice the car quality slip as well as the service attitudes that you get)

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Brake pads are a consumable item - how fast they wear out largely depends on your driving style. X3 is also a heavier car.

Take a look during broad daylight or with a flashlight - super easy to confirm if the pads are thinning down to 3-5mm and are close to replacement.

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907422.00
      10-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Agree on checking it out yourself. Dealers want to sell you brakes ASAP for nice big profit margins (I was quoted $1,200 for front pads+rotors). IMO, this is because with MY 2015 and later, the maintenance plan was reduced to 3 years/36K miles and doesn't cover brakes (it used to be 4/50 and cover brakes).

I did an oil change at 26K, they said the front pads were at 4mm and needed to be replaced. I declined, bought the Ultimate Care Plus package (which covers brakes), and then a new service advisor measured it at 5mm at 27K. The first service advisor was super dodgy after this and refused to replace brakes, so I refunded the Ultimate Care package. Today I'm at 40K and I bet will be fine through 50K.

Unless you drive like a maniac or track every month, you won't need brakes at 25K miles. Also read: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ake-money.html. I also believe the iDrive maintenance system is also intentionally misleading since it gets stuck at "3200 miles" (mine have been there since 16K) making it easier to say "hey, you will need brakes soon, replace them now!)

Last edited by EstorilM240; 10-21-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I change my fast street pads at 26k kms. All depends on how u drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
XOXOJOY
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM240 View Post
Agree on checking it out yourself. Dealers want to sell you brakes ASAP for nice big profit margins (I was quoted $1,200 for front pads+rotors). IMO, this is because with MY 2015 and later, the maintenance plan was reduced to 3 years/36K miles and doesn't cover brakes (it used to be 4/50 and cover brakes).

I did an oil change at 26K, they said the front pads were at 4mm and needed to be replaced. I declined, bought the Ultimate Care Plus package (which covers brakes), and then a new service advisor measured it at 5mm at 27K. The first service advisor was super dodgy after this and refused to replace brakes, so I refunded the Ultimate Care package. Today I'm at 40K and I bet will be fine through 50K.

Unless you drive like a maniac or track every month, you won't need brakes at 25K miles. Also read: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ake-money.html. I also believe the iDrive maintenance system is also intentionally misleading since it gets stuck at "3200 miles" (mine have been there since 16K) making it easier to say "hey, you will need brakes soon, replace them now!)
Thanks for sharing the experience. I was quoted at $1K+ for Rear pad + rotors replacement.
THe funniest part is that, my iDrive didn't even indicate that I need brake pad services at all, and the maintenance result sheet I got after the car is done Service says the rear pads are read at 3mm on both sides, which is alerted as RED - immediate service needed.
I did have multiple unpleasant experience with this dealer so I'll definitely check them up myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
XOXOJOY
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I change my fast street pads at 26k kms. All depends on how u drive.
Do you own an M model?
Mine is a mid-size SUV, and I don't drive like crazy at all - commute and stuck in bumper to bumper rush hour traffics pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
XOXOJOY
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Brake pads are a consumable item - how fast they wear out largely depends on your driving style. X3 is also a heavier car.

Take a look during broad daylight or with a flashlight - super easy to confirm if the pads are thinning down to 3-5mm and are close to replacement.

Thanks. I'll go out and check it out now. Which part is the pad in your picture?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:56 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOXOJOY View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience. I was quoted at $1K+ for Rear pad + rotors replacement.
THe funniest part is that, my iDrive didn't even indicate that I need brake pad services at all, and the maintenance result sheet I got after the car is done Service says the rear pads are read at 3mm on both sides, which is alerted as RED - immediate service needed.
I did have multiple unpleasant experience with this dealer so I'll definitely check them up myself.
If the pads are at 3mm, you do need replacements. Check them out. If at that level, the sensor will soon trigger a brake wear alert.

The pad friction material, in the picture, is the part/section with a brownish marking on it, next to the rotor face. It's about 5mm in that example.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Do you own an M model?
Mine is a mid-size SUV, and I don't drive like crazy at all - commute and stuck in bumper to bumper rush hour traffics pretty much.
Yes M3, but 95% daily driven miles. And mine has Brembo big brakes with larger pads and more tolerance to heat. It all depends on your driving style.
Appreciate 1
SMP2202.50
      08-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
SMP220
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Do you own an M model?
Yes M3, but 95% daily driven miles. And mine has Brembo big brakes with larger pads and more tolerance to heat. It all depends on your driving style.
Gotta check the inside pads. They wear much faster than the outside pads (standard brakes)
Appreciate 0