BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
F25 X3 airbag removal

The cruise control adjustment knob in our F25 has failed spectacularly, and I'm considering replacing the part myself. However, in looking around online, it appears that the only way to remove the airbag in the F25 is to puncture the steering wheel on the back side to actuate the airbag retainer springs. Is that really the case? Is there no other way to remove the airbag without damaging the steering wheel?

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm just looking for confirmation before I go jamming a screwdriver through the material on my steering wheel.

View post on imgur.com
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

It is similar method like you mentioned as with F30. Or f series.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I looked into this when my clock spring was acting up and I thought I was going to have to replace it. when I looked at the back side of the steering wheel it was already "pre-punctured" for me to get a tool in there to unlock the airbag. Had to look closely but the opening was already there, at least on mine. Maybe that means someone else had removed it once before, or maybe it was manufactured that way. I don't know.

Guess what I'm saying is take a look at the back side of your steering wheel, you may not need to "damage" it to get the airbag out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I can feel the two areas where there are holes in the plastic, but there are no punctures in the vinyl... Yet. I guess I'll just go for it. Thanks for the clarity!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
hipnotik501
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I can feel the two areas where there are holes in the plastic, but there are no punctures in the vinyl... Yet. I guess I'll just go for it. Thanks for the clarity!
You are heading in the right direction. There is 2 hole in the back of the steering wheel. Take a small pick tool or small screwdriver and insert into the hole. You need to feel for the spring lever and once you get it then simply press on it to release it. The pic attach is from the web and not from my X3 but it give you a idea to what to look for. The second pic is the new steering wheel I installed in my X3. Remember to disconnect the battery before removing the air bag or else you might get error code. It might take a few try's but be patient and you will get it to release. It took me a few try's before I was able to release it. YouTube also have videos on how to do it as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik501 View Post
You are heading in the right direction. There is 2 hole in the back of the steering wheel. Take a small pick tool or small screwdriver and insert into the hole. You need to feel for the spring lever and once you get it then simply press on it to release it. The pic attach is from the web and not from my X3 but it give you a idea to what to look for. The second pic is the new steering wheel I installed in my X3. Remember to disconnect the battery before removing the air bag or else you might get error code. It might take a few try's but be patient and you will get it to release. It took me a few try's before I was able to release it. YouTube also have videos on how to do it as well.
Thanks for posting the photo. I'm waiting on some cooler weather (ugh, Florida) before I start the repair, but I'm thinking that I'll pre-cut the openings for the screwdriver with an Exacto knife, rather than puncturing it with a screwdriver. That should leave cleaner breaks in the material
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
FWIW, the inside of my steering wheel was very different from the photos posted here. In the F25, there are no "hooks" on the end of the airbag releases. I twisted my screwdriver around in there for a while trying to catch them, only to accidentally get it right. Once it was off, I realized how different it is.

You start the same by sticking your screwdriver in through the side of the steering wheel.

But once the screwdriver is in, you just push it in straight. There's a kind of groove molded into the steering wheel to guide you.

From there just press straight in.

Here's a short video:

Appreciate 0