BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Rdavenport89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Rear fog coding help

I don't have xenon headlights so my tail lights are not led. It there a way to code the rear fogs to come on with the tail lights to provide more light at night? I tried to just change my tail light bulbs to brighter leds but despite coding out the warm and cold checks, they still showed a malfunction code so I took them back out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavenport89 View Post
I don't have xenon headlights so my tail lights are not led. It there a way to code the rear fogs to come on with the tail lights to provide more light at night? I tried to just change my tail light bulbs to brighter leds but despite coding out the warm and cold checks, they still showed a malfunction code so I took them back out.
Hopefully there isn't a way to do that and that you do not pursue this any further.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Rdavenport89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Quote:
Hopefully there isn't a way to do that and that you do not pursue this any further.
Why?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why?
Because:
1- the light output of the taillights is not "worse" in the halogen version. These follow strict regulations as to size/clarity. The LED look "nicer" but that's about it and it still personal taste (some may disagree).

2- turning on the fog lights will essentially create the same light output as the brake lights. Most cars have a double filament halogen bulb with different power on each, that turn on depending on whether you have the driving lights on (less power) or the brakes on (higher power).
This will cause:

a) the brake lights to be less visible in the taillights assemblies (another bulb will already be lit to the same power), which is a dangerous condition
b) the extra power will dazzle motorists driving behind you, which is a dangerous condition

Please don't.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why?
Because:
1- the light output of the taillights is not "worse" in the halogen version. These follow strict regulations as to size/clarity. The LED look "nicer" but that's about it and it still personal taste (some may disagree).

2- turning on the fog lights will essentially create the same light output as the brake lights. Most cars have a double filament halogen bulb with different power on each, that turn on depending on whether you have the driving lights on (less power) or the brakes on (higher power).
This will cause:

a) the brake lights to be less visible in the taillights assemblies (another bulb will already be lit to the same power), which is a dangerous condition
b) the extra power will dazzle motorists driving behind you, which is a dangerous condition

Please don't.
Unless you are referring to the inner lights on the hatch, which are not lit on your car? And maybe you could replace the bulbs to be the same as the driving lights?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
hipnotik501
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
I don't think there's any coding involved to turn on the rear fog light. Or at least for the F25 there wasn't. I simply replace the headlight control switch with one that has the rear fog light button. Simple mod that is plug and pray. Plug it in and pray that it will work the first time. In this case it did.

You really don't want the rear fog light to be on all the time like other have mention. They light up like if you are braking. It is a bit annoying driving behind someone that has it on in weather that doesn't called for it. I only use it when it's foggy or raining or blind annoying tailgaters.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I believe they come on anyway in a panic stop situation.
Check "brake force lighting"
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
It's not clear from the original posting if the fog lights are intended to supplement the brake lights or will they be used a running lights? If it's the latter, then one just installs the Euro-style headlight switch assembly that adds another button for rear fogs. Takes about 5 minutes tops, but the switch is really quite expensive and installing the right version (and there seems to be a lot), is supposedly an issue. For example, there are different switch assemblies depending on whether one's car has xenon lights vice halogens, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:57 PM   #9
jenkxns2590
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik501 View Post
I don't think there's any coding involved to turn on the rear fog light. Or at least for the F25 there wasn't. I simply replace the headlight control switch with one that has the rear fog light button. Simple mod that is plug and pray. Plug it in and pray that it will work the first time. In this case it did.

You really don't want the rear fog light to be on all the time like other have mention. They light up like if you are braking. It is a bit annoying driving behind someone that has it on in weather that doesn't called for it. I only use it when it's foggy or raining or blind annoying tailgaters.
This meaning that I should be able to get the Xenon package look for the halogen inner trunk bulbs or lights with just a new headlight control unit? Because my assembly has no chip and i replaced the bulbs in mine and to no avail???
Appreciate 0