BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #23
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Quote:
What about asking the dealer to revert the change? Make up some excuse if you have to
Huh? Not sure if serious?

Huge red flag!
The red flag is already there. Depending on his relationship with his dealer it's a reasonable ask. Not sure if it's even possible to revert, but in say 6 months if bm3 don't work what would you do?
Nothing. Full stop
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #24
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What about asking the dealer to revert the change? Make up some excuse if you have to

Huge red flag!
The red flag is already there. Depending on his relationship with his dealer it's a reasonable ask. Not sure if it's even possible to revert, but in say 6 months if bm3 don't work what would you do?
RaceChip??
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #25
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Just a update. Protuning confirmed my software ID was ok and don’t see any problems with me trying to reflash back to stage 1 93. I tried it and still problems after 5%. No problem I thought must be issue with flash. I tried to flash back to stock and error message comes up with please try again push start bottom 3 times, make sure seat belt, antivirus etc.. I could not flash. I have drive train malfunction message after the first failed flash. Got on to support they said I need to use batt charger on continuous 20-50 amp current then it will work I have not done this yet but I really hope this works if not what the *uck am I going to do? 🤦🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #26
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
Just a update. Protuning confirmed my software ID was ok and don’t see any problems with me trying to reflash back to stage 1 93. I tried it and still problems after 5%. No problem I thought must be issue with flash. I tried to flash back to stock and error message comes up with please try again push start bottom 3 times, make sure seat belt, antivirus etc.. I could not flash. I have drive train malfunction message after the first failed flash. Got on to support they said I need to use batt charger on continuous 20-50 amp current then it will work I have not done this yet but I really hope this works if not what the *uck am I going to do? 🤦🏻*♂️
Switch to another tuner. You won’t regret it.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #27
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Huge red flag!
RaceChip??
Flash sale? 🤪
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12966.00
      11-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Flash sale? 🤪
It is on Black Friday sale.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #29
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I'm in good with my service guy. My vehicle hasn't been flagged, but I wouldn't ask them to roll it back. My guess is they couldn't even if they wanted to. I'm focusing on resolution through protuning. Had another exchange with their tech support who told me I should try another cable since mine won't read the software version off my car anymore. I'm no engineer, but that makes no sense to me. The cable was good enough to flash back to factory and relock my DME. We'll see what they come back with next tomorrow. Earlier they had mentioned the possibility of a new software version their tool didn't recognize. I still think it's something along those lines. We shall see as I'm not letting up. I can't stand this slow factory tune and need my adrenaline fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #30
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I'm in good with my service guy. My vehicle hasn't been flagged, but I wouldn't ask them to roll it back. My guess is they couldn't even if they wanted to. I'm focusing on resolution through protuning. Had another exchange with their tech support who told me I should try another cable since mine won't read the software version off my car anymore. I'm no engineer, but that makes no sense to me. The cable was good enough to flash back to factory and relock my DME. We'll see what they come back with next tomorrow. Earlier they had mentioned the possibility of a new software version their tool didn't recognize. I still think it's something along those lines. We shall see as I'm not letting up. I can't stand this slow factory tune and need my adrenaline fix.
Based on the comments above of the other person who has the same issue I'd leave it alone. He couldn't flash back to stock anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #31
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Yes, I think I'm going to wait a bit until protuning freaks figures this out. Two of us with near-identical issues immediately after this most recent factory update makes for an odd coincidence. The Freaks have to figure this out as it will kill their business model and product otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 03:17 AM   #32
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: I reflashed back to stock the reason it did not work yesterday I noticed I did I slight change to OTS exhaust burble so I set it back to OEM. This worked. I didn’t even bother adding a batt charger or change another cable which was advice from support because I worked fine during week. All I know is after BMW software update any Bootmod3 flash apart from stock tune will NOT work. I’m disappointed with support for not accepting latest BMW X3 software recall affects the flash. I hope they resolve this.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:12 AM   #33
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Funny you should say that I had a software update yesterday and asked if I wanted it. I went ahead and wish I hadn’t. Got home tried to flash stage 1 93 and up to 5% jumped to clear coded drivetrain malfunction. I also panicked and reflashed to stock thank his it worked emailed support they asked to take screen shot of vehicles info with current vehicle software. I really hope they have fix around probable docked DME.
Did your dealer not flag the car as being previously tuned / mapped? Curious to know why they didn't see it when updating the DME?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:16 AM   #34
hxr
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Update: I reflashed back to stock the reason it did not work yesterday I noticed I did I slight change to OTS exhaust burble so I set it back to OEM. This worked. I didn’t even bother adding a batt charger or change another cable which was advice from support because I worked fine during week. All I know is after BMW software update any Bootmod3 flash apart from stock tune will NOT work. I’m disappointed with support for not accepting latest BMW X3 software recall affects the flash. I hope they resolve this.
Are you able to share your DME software IDs?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:51 AM   #35
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Did your dealer not flag the car as being previously tuned / mapped? Curious to know why they didn't see it when updating the DME?
Moff they did flag it up. They asked if I wanted the new update as it was a recall and mentioned they are asking because I have a tune.
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      11-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #36
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Try another cable lmao. Come on PTF, that's stupid. Sounds like their product needs an unexpected re-write.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
Based on the indication the dealer can more easily detect DME tunes/modifications, would something like bimmercode do the same thing? Would it be flagged for coding some convenience and other options available? Thanks.

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #38
aliu0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

Last week i brought my X3MC to the dealer to put my winter tires. They also updated my DME due to a BMW Recall.

I would like to flash now my car with MHD, not BM3. Reading through their website i found this (see screenshot). A friend of mine got the MHD Wireless Adapter. So i will check if the DME got locked with the DME Update.

Here you have the url:
https://mhdtuning.com/collections/mh...icense-for-s58
You get all the maps (stage 1,2 incl. E30)
in this Super License.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #39
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
I wrote back PTF today to tell their tech support the same thing and that I'm not the only one with this issue. I asked they elevate this problem to their software engineers if they want their product to work again.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:36 AM   #40
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Smart Fortwo, S1RR

Don't panic guys. I'm sure they will solve this problem soon.
They just can't be as fast as bmw is.
Be aware that this can happen on every update that bmw releases. So for mhd and BM tuners: stay away from new bmw updates.
As we say in IT business: never touch a running system ;-)

P.s. i worked with dzenno (founder of bm)years ago on my e92 and he and his team is more as just competent. They are pro's in their business
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-21-2020, 02:46 AM   #41
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Moff they did flag it up. They asked if I wanted the new update as it was a recall and mentioned they are asking because I have a tune.
Have they voided your warranty?

I had BM3 but went back to stock 5k ago. I know it won't make any difference, but lessens the chance of a drivetrain failure.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #42
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have they voided your warranty?

I had BM3 but went back to stock 5k ago. I know it won't make any difference, but lessens the chance of a drivetrain failure.
They didn’t mention it has. I have purchased 5 cars from them in total. Tbh if I had a major engine or drivetrain issue they could in theory say my warranty is void due to the tune. Then again the s58 is made for more power so I don’t expect any issues. 🤞 Once the new M3/M4 comes out I expect most of these will be tuned and they expect it.
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      11-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #43
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofernandez View Post
Don't panic guys. I'm sure they will solve this problem soon.
They just can't be as fast as bmw is.
Be aware that this can happen on every update that bmw releases. So for mhd and BM tuners: stay away from new bmw updates.
As we say in IT business: never touch a running system ;-)

P.s. i worked with dzenno (founder of bm)years ago on my e92 and he and his team is more as just competent. They are pro's in their business
No panic here. They've done great things with their tunes for several years now(one of the reasons I chose them) , so their reputation is well-known. It is precisely for this reason that my disappointment stems from the way their tech support tells at least two different customers (with trouble-free past experience using their product and now the exact same symptoms after a very recent trip to the dealer) to troubleshoot the issue with advice like, "check the cable' or 'put it on a battery charger'. I've worked in IT all my life and understand the importance of proper help desk triage which expedites accurate root cause analysis. That hasn't happened yet, and I wish they'd promptly escalate the issue to their competent engineering staff and level with the customer in the meantime. I frequently preach expectations management in the IT organization I run, but I digress..... .

Botttom line, if you take your car to the dealer they will update your DME while they're in there. I had a service due (under warranty) and had no choice. If you can avoid the dealer for discretionary maintenance (I had an appointment elsewhere for my winter tires) until PTF figures this out, you're better off for now. My two pennies......
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #44
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
They didn’t mention it has. I have purchased 5 cars from them in total. Tbh if I had a major engine or drivetrain issue they could in theory say my warranty is void due to the tune. Then again the s58 is made for more power so I don’t expect any issues. 🤞 Once the new M3/M4 comes out I expect most of these will be tuned and they expect it.
I had a long chat with my service rep about this given my recent situation. He explained that cars that are flagged by BMW show up with a blinking red field on the dealer screen warning them the warranty has been voided. He also said that's only happened to one of their cars in recent years after a heavily modded M3 tore out a clutch and tried to file a warranty claim. For drivetrain or engine claims, the dealer has to run a very in depth diagnostic which, amongst other things, checks performance history of the vehicle. If you were tuned before, you are pinched, your warranty claim denied, and your vehicle is flagged. Outside of warranty claims, he says that rarely happens.
Appreciate 0