BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3 (G01) / X4 (G02) Forum 2019 X4 Towing?

05-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

2019 X4 Towing?

Hi folks,

I am a current M240i owner but thinking I may need to move to an SUV (even if a smallish SUV like the X4). Specifically, I am looking at the X M40i.

I have searched for an answer in these forums but can't find the simple answer...maybe I'm just thick. That aside, simply asking, can I tow with the new (2019) X4 M40i?

I have ready both that you cannot but also that it has a towing capacity of 2000kg. I have tried to find an answer on both the BMW USA and BMW Canada websites with no luck and google gives me conflicting answers.

Whats the scoop??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Motorin Mark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4-M40i

Curious about this myself, it looks like the aftermarket hitch for the X3 will work but does anybody know for sure? I just want to tow a small dirt bike trailer.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Yes, you can and plenty have - pretty certain there are a few threads on this subject buried somewhere. Also, if you guys play around with the builds on BMWUSA you can spec a Factory Class III hitch which is probably the best option (at least for the X3 that is).

Edit: The X4 has slightly different rear suspension geometry which could limit the tow rating, I notice a Factory Hitch isn't offered on the X4.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Dandle
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

The X4 is offered in Europe with the same towing option as the X3, the electric folding towing hitch (factory rated at 2400kg).

I cant see why it would be any different to the X3 in towing capacity.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Thanks folks. Here north of the border I cannot find any way to play with the vehicle builder to allow for the addition of a hitch. Will keep digging for official confirmation if I can find it. Just don't want to void a warranty if it shouldn't tow.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Doug Hoover
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Stealth Hitch and BMW for the G02

Thanks for starting this thread. If anybody can figure this out it must be the lonely 2019 X4 owners
BMW sells 1 X4 for every 10 X3ís. Or so it seems with the sales figures I have seen lately.
So, I feel like the ugly stepsister and the X3 gets all the time with BMW for things like accessories.
I called Stealth Hitch yesterday and they do have a hitch for the 2019 X3.
But not a correct active wiring harness. Iíve spent a lot of hours looking for this wiring harness and have failed. Getbmwparts, Real OEM, and other sites. I went to my dealers part department yesterday and no joy. They tried hard, even went and talked to the service tech. I plugged in a X4 with a European build on Real OEM, but there is not a harness I could see.
From what I understand the active wiring harness allows you to access things like turning off rear park sensors and zooming the rear camera when it senses that you have hooked up a trailer or rack.
The alternative, it seems is to keep turning off the sensors off. I assume this means each time the X4 is parked and restarted. A pain, but Iíve had worse.
Steve Nance of Stealth Hitch said he would call his contacts at BMW and see if a wiring Harness is in the works and when it might be available.
There is one for the X3 (G01) but he was not sure if it would work.
Maybe we could make our life better by coding, but Iíve not looked into it yet. I do have the BimmerCode app and connector. But not enough time. Yet.
Keep posting and keep searching and let us know what you find. Iím going to install the Stealth Hitch when the temperature moderates a bit here in Phoenix.
The Stealth Hitch has a GVWR for a tow of 5,500 lbs and tongue weight of 350. The 350 is less than our 440 lb rating. The hitch and ball insert weighs around 52 lbs, which is part of the reduction in tongue weight.
I own a xDrive 30i with M Sport suspension. I put 440 lbs of stuff in the rear as close to the rear end measured at all 4 corners and center front and rear. Then I drove around for 30 minutes and remeasured. The center front rose 1/8Ē and the read dropped 1/4Ē. So with the max tongue weight it should tow pretty flat.
Iím looking at a travel trailer with tongue around 275 and a GVWR of 3,700. Itís a Lance 1575 for those of you who are curious.
Oh, BTW you do not need a weight distribution hitch which saves a bunch of $ís
But Iím concerned about the resultant loss of the ability to attach and use a friction sway bar. Without the active wiring harness the anti sway help from the X4 is not available. Maybe others can chime in. Thatís it for now.
Doug
Appreciate 0