BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #23
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS1969 View Post
Will the X3M be more fun than an Alfa Stelvio Quattroporte? The M40i wasn't even close.
Would expect the X3M at 490 HP (Wt/HP ratio of 8.67) to be more on par with the Quadrifoglio (Wt/HP of 8.51), as the M40i isn't a fair fight since it's ratio is 12.16. If one is referring to handling and dynamics, then you'd almost have to compare the Stelvio Ti Sport with a ratio of 14.44 and 0-60 of 5.4s, which sits square between the M40i and the X3 30i (ratio of 16.8).
I agree and we should be comparing apples to apples.

Another thread has me looking at the GLC AMG 63S in non-coupe guise (W4?) not available in the US that is already faster than the Stelvio QV.

Fun to drive is subjective but there is no denying the competition in this segment is fierce. The X3M needs to have a strong debut like the F90 M5 did.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
Max Well4713.00
      02-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #24
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
This question is like comparing a Cayenne to a 911.
      02-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #25
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I’m tempted to sell my F80. I still have a Mini Cooper S to auto x with and my GTS to go to the big tracks with.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      02-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #26
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

I like the x3m more than I thought I would.... not due for a new car till next year but it is going to be this vs the M3 for me... I really hope they upgrade the idrive and controls to match the new G20 and X5 at LCI
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #27
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Going to weigh in here. I came from and 18 LCI M2 and I could not be happier with my choice. My circumstances changed and I was in need of more space and utility. This just seemed to fit the bill for the price point.

I gave serious thought to the SQ5, Camen GTS and Stilvio Quatrofilio. Just could not justify the $20K plus price difference.

The more I log miles, the more I enjoy driving and looking forward to getting more seat time. I believe it is under rated and have no regrets.

Hard to explain but it just feels right.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #28
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Wait are you talking about the M40i?
Yes, I was. But I am seriously considering upgrading when I can get my hands on one to compare.

Last edited by $M2; 02-15-2019 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #29
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

i will be getting the X3M i had the F80 M3 and now have the F83 M4 'vert. biggest reason for me in getting the X3M is i need to tow my small bass boat w/ trailer got the bass fishing bug bite and planning to fish a lot. if not for the fishing, i definitely would have gotten another M4 'vert.
      02-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

M2 tow vehicle. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #31
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

This is a tough one for me but I am leaning toward X3M. I love my E92 M3 to death but a low ground clearance RWD vehicle is not well suited to my lifestyle. I'm an avid skier and mountain biker and live at the edge of the mountains on a big hill which got hammered with snow over the last two weeks. I also have a pot-holed commute which gets a little tiresome in the M3. My wife drives our Audi which I can use but she needs it as well. I don't really like the idea of 3 cars because I'm not interested in driving a beater on a regular basis in the winter or on bike trips.

So where does that leave me? Probably in an X3M but if the published weight is correct at 4600 lbs, that is seriously heavy. I would bet you don't notice it on the road but it sounds bad on paper. It will still be very very fast I'm sure. So really I guess it comes down to do I want a larger, heavier vehicle that I can drive anywhere anytime? Or stick with the sports car which will be lightning fast in the G80. I think the price for X3M will be virtually the same as G80 M3, they are about the same length, will have same powerplant and AWD drivetrain, blah blah...

G80 M3 Pros:
- FAST
- Lighter weight, better handling
- Better MPG? (who cares)
- Prestige/attention, a little more special IMO
- Can take to the track (I haven't done that since 2013)

G80 M3 Cons:
- FAST. Can't use this much power on the street very well.
- Ground clearance, pothole dances, limits in winter although AWD

X3M Pros:
- Probably a more appropriate level of fast for the street. TBD.
- Light off road ability
- Snow, all weather capable
- More comfortable in city (most likely)
- More space. Dog hauler, camping, road tripper, etc
- Available before next winter lol

X3M Cons:
- SUV driving dynamics, HEAVY.
- is that it?

f@&$ it. X3M for me.
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
kozzi927.00
      02-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #32
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Missing biggest pro of all for G80: There's a Pure Model.
Hopefully it's better than the 2018 Pure.

Con.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #33
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
This is a tough one for me but I am leaning toward X3M. I love my E92 M3 to death but a low ground clearance RWD vehicle is not well suited to my lifestyle. I'm an avid skier and mountain biker and live at the edge of the mountains on a big hill which got hammered with snow over the last two weeks. I also have a pot-holed commute which gets a little tiresome in the M3. My wife drives our Audi which I can use but she needs it as well. I don't really like the idea of 3 cars because I'm not interested in driving a beater on a regular basis in the winter or on bike trips.

So where does that leave me? Probably in an X3M but if the published weight is correct at 4600 lbs, that is seriously heavy. I would bet you don't notice it on the road but it sounds bad on paper. It will still be very very fast I'm sure. So really I guess it comes down to do I want a larger, heavier vehicle that I can drive anywhere anytime? Or stick with the sports car which will be lightning fast in the G80. I think the price for X3M will be virtually the same as G80 M3, they are about the same length, will have same powerplant and AWD drivetrain, blah blah...

G80 M3 Pros:
- FAST

G80 M3 Cons:

X3M Pros:
- Light off road ability

X3M Cons:
- is that it?

f@&$ it. X3M for me.
where u live, X3M for sure. i'm in Chicago area and drive my M4 all winter long w/ winter tires and can manage, but at times, is a little hairy depending on the situation. don't know how much snow u get up there but when there's a slight incline and snow on the ground and ur at a complete stop, ur going sideways when light turns green
kozzi927.00
seis-speed2430.50
      02-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #34
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:

G80 M3 Pros:
- FAST

G80 M3 Cons:

X3M Pros:
- Light off road ability

X3M Cons:
- is that it?

f@&$ it. X3M for me.
Great post. Nice to have options. Hope one day I see a thread that reads:

X3M/X4M to M3/M4? Who's with me?

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #35
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Quote:

G80 M3 Pros:
- FAST

G80 M3 Cons:

X3M Pros:
- Light off road ability

X3M Cons:
- is that it?

f@&$ it. X3M for me.
Great post. Nice to have options. Hope one day I see a thread that reads:

X3M/X4M to M3/M4? Who's with me?
Ha I'll probably be in that thread in 3 years. I'm always back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #36
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
We've never owned an M, so the X3M will be our first experience with the line. But I've been under the assumption that owning a vehicle with that designation insures the quality of workmanship and materials is the same across all platforms (i.e., it doesn't necessarily follow the concept of improved luxury and materials when moving from non-M 3 to 5 to 7 series).

Is my assumption incorrect?
Thats a fair assumption but I think there is an even a bigger gap between a M and non-M within the same series. When I had my M3, I hated getting into a non-M 3 series. It felt like an entirely different vehicle. The fit and finish were night and day.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #37
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Quote:
We've never owned an M, so the X3M will be our first experience with the line. But I've been under the assumption that owning a vehicle with that designation insures the quality of workmanship and materials is the same across all platforms (i.e., it doesn't necessarily follow the concept of improved luxury and materials when moving from non-M 3 to 5 to 7 series).

Is my assumption incorrect?
Thats a fair assumption but I think there is an even a bigger gap between a M and non-M within the same series. When I had my M3, I hated getting into a non-M 3 series. It felt like an entirely different vehicle. The fit and finish were night and day.
I wouldn't say the fit is necessarily better. My M3's door seals creak like an old wooden ship and the reduced sound deadening makes for a pretty noisy ride.
In my opinion, things that make it feel special/race car like, unlike the Camry feeling regular 3 series.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #38
BCMgunner
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 - MG, DCT, Steel Brakes

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the M line-up. Was hoping this echelon would forego 'the larger model gets the nicer appointments because it costs more' philosophy. Does Porsche follow the same code with the Cayenne and Macan?

It has nothing to do with the price - if similarly optioned X3M and X5M were offered at the same MSRP, would still choose the X3M. We don't need (nor desire) the added size and weight. Would hope they would at least allow option of 'upgrading' fit and finish to BMW's M level top-shelf components and materials, regardless of model designation.
Up until the all new Cayenne came out, the Macan and Cayenne had the same quality interior/fit and finish/luxury options. Now the Macan is a generation behind given the new model was just refreshed and not enterily new.

Comparing a X3M to a M3 is like comparing a Macan to a 911. The Macan is the more nimble better driver compared to the Cayenne.

I’m hoping for big things/thrills from the X3M! I do think it will be more the more engaging drive compared to the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #39
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I have e92 m3 and e84 x1(35) as my dd. My wife drives x3 m40i which is also our family car. I have entertained the thought of consolidating those 3 into x3m in the future. I am skeptical though. M40i is stupid fast for a suv and handles pretty well but I still find my old x1 more fun. The size and the lack of road feel make x3 feel less involving. It's a great car but not what I would take out just to drive. Will the full m treatment change this? Perhaps. But I think I will stick with my current combo.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #40
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
I have e92 m3 and e84 x1(35) as my dd. My wife drives x3 m40i which is also our family car. I have entertained the thought of consolidating those 3 into x3m in the future. I am skeptical though. M40i is stupid fast for a suv and handles pretty well but I still find my old x1 more fun. The size and the lack of road feel make x3 feel less involving. It's a great car but not what I would take out just to drive. Will the full m treatment change this? Perhaps. But I think I will stick with my current combo.
Full m treatment should change it. That's the biggest complaint I had with the F30 that I don't have with the F80. It's crazy to think how much an M feels different when in and driving than a regular version of the same model.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      02-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #41
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Macan has suffered from heavy weight (4400-4600 lbs) with not enough power even in Turbo guise. It handles well for what it is but is expensive, poor passenger/cargo space, and it's quick but won't get your blood pumping. I'm hoping X3M solves these issues while maintaining agility that can match the Macan. Probably better dynamics (ie: lag)with the S58 as well.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      02-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #42
BCMgunner
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 - MG, DCT, Steel Brakes

Sorry for the (stupid) question, but If I didn’t say before, I am looking to either the G80 M3 or X3M as a future daddy mobile. Which would hold more baby cargo? Largest luggage capacity?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #43
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMgunner View Post
Sorry for the (stupid) question, but If I didn’t say before, I am looking to either the G80 M3 or X3M as a future daddy mobile. Which would hold more baby cargo? Largest luggage capacity?
You can certainly look to the current X3 and now G20 3 series to estimate which is more functional for you. The interior spaces will be the same on the associated M models. Suspension comfort will be unknowns until test drives though and that may influence you further. I'm presuming the X3M will be more comfortable than M3 but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #44
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Full m treatment should change it. That's the biggest complaint I had with the F39 that I don't have with the F80. It's crazy to think how much an M feels different when in and driving than a regular version of the same model.
I think in theory "do it all" cars like x3m make lot of sense. The reality however is not as appealing. it means using this $80k m car in situations far less than ideal. It will have to function as a bad weather/ winter beater (why would you get an suv other wise). Eventually you will want to get a cheap winter beater for your mental wellbeing. Then you'll think to yourself "why don't I get a more dedicated sportscar like m3 now that I have a winter beater?" You trade x3m for m3 and the cycle goes on. Just my two cents
Appreciate 1
M370z175.00