BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Icon Adaptive LED’s off position

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I keep my headlight switch in the off position, not automatic, but have noticed that the headlights still come on automatically when the light levels drop.

Anyone else noticed this?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
SPMor
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xLine xDrive20d

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
I keep my headlight switch in the off position, not automatic, but have noticed that the headlights still come on automatically when the light levels drop.

Is it possible that you have Daytime Running Lights on?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

0 position is for auto on off of lights if you don't want to use the adaptive function, I don't think there is a way to drive in the dark with lights off?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Isn't the different light modes something that could differ between markets? Read your instruction manual carefully for details about your vehicle...

/n
      08-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
If I’m not mistaken;
11 o’clock position - lights off (front drl only)
12 o’clock position - auto lights
1 o’clock position - side lights only (front and rear)
2 o’clock position - dipped beam headlights and tail lights

Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
If I’m not mistaken;

Does that make sense?
Yep, the switch is in the 11 o clock “off” position (front drl only), but the lights come on when light levels drop. The switch is not in the auto light position.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
really, check your manual, as it may be different in different countries.
      08-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
really, check your manual, as it may be different in different countries.
In UK for the M40i 0 position is lights off but dip beams come on automatically in low light, it clearly states this in the manual

Not sure about other models or regions

In 0 position lights don't use the adaptive function, if you want that you need to set it to the A position or lights on all the time position
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If I’m not mistaken;

Does that make sense?
Yep, the switch is in the 11 o clock “off” position (front drl only), but the lights come on when light levels drop. The switch is not in the auto light position.
That's the correct operation in UK
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
That’s annoying, as I want off to be off. I’m capable of deciding when I need to turn the lights on!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That’s annoying, as I want off to be off. I’m capable of deciding when I need to turn the lights on!
The problem is, a lot of people aren't. And like always, it's the lazy (or simply not paying attention) ones that ruin it for us all.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #12
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess If the tech is well made, it should not be much difference from when you want it to be on. Is it a big difference from your wish?

/n
      08-13-2018, 03:05 AM   #13
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Can't tell you how many times i've been driving behind someone at night with no lights apparent - because they have front DRL's and haven't bothered to turn their lights on.
As with so many things in society these days, it would appear we are all being forced to pander to the lowest common denominator...
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #14
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

upset because lights come on in darkness.........right after reading how Holly is thinking about cancelling her new car order because she reads how unhappy everyone is with their BMW's, i hope Holly reads this, some people just like to complain or perhaps some people are predisposed to be unhappy. I am sorry BMW has set up your car to keep you seeing when it gets dark out, i really don't know how you carry on.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      08-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #15
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Can't tell you how many times i've been driving behind someone at night with no lights apparent - because they have front DRL's and haven't bothered to turn their lights on.
As with so many things in society these days, it would appear we are all being forced to pander to the lowest common denominator...
THIS! I drive in the dark to work in the morning and in the rain on the way home in the evenings a lot it seems and there are so many people driving around with just DRLs on(which means no tail lights) or no lights at all. Very scary. I am glad BMW and my truck have auto headlights auto wipers and auto hi-beams so we're not one of those people.

Just wish the auto hi-beams were in fact auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
Quote:
THIS! I drive in the dark to work in the morning and in the rain on the way home in the evenings a lot it seems and there are so many people driving around with just DRLs on(which means no tail lights) or no lights at all. Very scary. I am glad BMW and my truck have auto headlights auto wipers and auto hi-beams so we're not one of those people.

Just wish the auto hi-beams were in fact auto.
Totally agree.
But which part of auto high beam is not auto? Do you mean they are not working as advertised?
      08-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You also see it the other way in fog with cars driving about with no lights on at all, I'm convinced they just assume the auto lights does it for them and haven't even read the manual to see the auto on function doesn't work in fog?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
upset because lights come on in darkness.........right after reading how Holly is thinking about cancelling her new car order because she reads how unhappy everyone is with their BMW's, i hope Holly reads this, some people just like to complain or perhaps some people are predisposed to be unhappy. I am sorry BMW has set up your car to keep you seeing when it gets dark out, i really don't know how you carry on.
WHAT? You may need your lights to come on automatically for you, regardless of what position the switch is in, but I’m more than able to determine when it’s dark enough to warrant needing to switch the lights on.

The car has an automatic lights on position. If anyone driving at night can’t think to turn their lights on, they shouldn’t be driving a car. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
WHAT? You may need your lights to come on automatically for you, regardless of what position the switch is in, but I’m more than able to determine when it’s dark enough to warrant needing to switch the lights on.

The car has an automatic lights on position. If anyone driving at night can’t think to turn their lights on, they shouldn’t be driving a car. Sheesh.
And people get into crashes they should have avoided, hence all the avoidance safety features. You may be perfectly able to avoid a crash but the protection is still there. Would you want to remove those as well....

Interested to hear your argument as to how having this feature affects your ability to drive or the experience at all. Saying that you are capable of knowing when to turn them on is not a reason to say they should not have designed it like they did. I just do not see how auto on negatively affects anything.....
Appreciate 1
titomi926.00
      08-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
The problem is that with DRL the instrument lights are on and people think their headlights are on.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #21
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
And people get into crashes they should have avoided, hence all the avoidance safety features. You may be perfectly able to avoid a crash but the protection is still there. Would you want to remove those as well....

Interested to hear your argument as to how having this feature affects your ability to drive or the experience at all. Saying that you are capable of knowing when to turn them on is not a reason to say they should not have designed it like they did. I just do not see how auto on negatively affects anything.....
We’re talking about headlights turning themselves on and off, not crash protection. Having been involved in a serious accident when the headlights on a previous car turned themselves on approaching a junction, and a car mistaking the lights coming on as me flashing them out, I’d prefer to switch my lights on and off when it’s safe to do so, not when the car decides.

On this car, the lights come on when driving under trees during the day. It’s not dark, and the DRL’s do a good enough job of making other road users aware the car is there, so I’m not convinced that having the lights turning themselves on and off during the day is such a good safety feature. All you need is a cluster of trees near a junction, a car waiting to pull out, and your lights coming on at the wrong time, and the same could well happen again.

If people are too thick to forget to turn the lights on and off if it’s dark, they can switch the position to the automatic position. There’s even a green headlight logo in the instrument cluster to show you that your lights are on. If it’s dark and the green light isn’t on, guess what, TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON!

Why the need for over nannying from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
We’re talking about headlights turning themselves on and off, not crash protection.
I was not trying to say the two were equal, it was just an example of something else that your could do on your own....Like turn on the lights when you want to....Lights being on prevent accidents as well so there is at least a comparison.

But the rest of your post at least attempts to make your case so maybe a more meaningful discussion can now be had.
Appreciate 0