BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2024, 09:04 AM   #1
RagaX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Non-Run Flats & Run Flats - XDRIVE - Bumpy Feeling

Hi everyone,

I've done what is considered a no-no and put Bridgestone Non-Run Flat tyres on the front of my F25 XDRIVE, while the rear maintain Dunlop Sport Run Flat tyres in good condition.

However, since doing so I have encountered 2 problems which I am unsure is related to the change, and I want to get an additional few opinions on the solution.

Problems:

1. Tyre Pressure Warning light activates for all tyres - Expected, likely needs reinitialising.

2. The car feels "bumpy", almost as if there is a traction or stability problem, when accelerating. It's very hard to describe, kind of like someone breaking on certain wheels occasionally. When coasting it feels smooth. - Could be diff related? but no warning lights.

Thoughts:

1. I believe the bumpy feeling and the warning pressure light is related to the mixed tyres, however I am open to other thoughts on this.

Solutions:

1. Change rear tyres to Non- Run Flats to match the front (Cheapest Option), but an I do this? or will the problem likely remain?

2. Accept a loss on the front tyres, and revert them back to Run Flats.

Any thoughts on this? I've done some searching, but I can't find much around this bumpy sensation I've been experiencing. So apologies if this has come up before.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 12:22 AM   #2
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Change all non run flats, same brand and size.

Different tyres will damage your transfer case in the long run.

I have changed to non run flats, no problems, and much better ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 11:45 AM   #3
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Would you describe it as a tugging sensation?
I'm told that's the transfer-case needing new fluid and a recalibration.

My other suggestion would be to run a higher tire PSI all around.. 33/34/35
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:53 AM   #4
RagaX3
Registered
Rep

Tugging is certainly one way to describe it.

From what I can tell after more research it related to the new tyres.

I have 225/60/17 all round.

Th originals on the back are Dunlop Sport RFTs, the new ones are conventional non-run flats, Bridgestone Turanza T005.

What I am hoping to find out now before I buy any more tyres is:

1. Will making sure all tyres match with non-RFTs resolve it..

Because if I put new tyres on the back and the issue remains, I might rage destroy the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:35 AM   #5
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaX3 View Post
Tugging is certainly one way to describe it.

From what I can tell after more research it related to the new tyres.

I have 225/60/17 all round.

Th originals on the back are Dunlop Sport RFTs, the new ones are conventional non-run flats, Bridgestone Turanza T005.

What I am hoping to find out now before I buy any more tyres is:

1. Will making sure all tyres match with non-RFTs resolve it..

Because if I put new tyres on the back and the issue remains, I might rage destroy the car.
I can tell you after changing from RFT's to Non-RFT's on all 4 corners I experienced a similar sensation. I brought it to two master tech's and they both said they couldn't feel what I was describing. In my research the answer is to change fluid and recalibrate. However, since I received a good bill of health from two different BMW master tech's I left it alone and bumped up my tire pressure in all 4 corners. That has definitely improved the sensation. I'm at right about 60k miles so I'll probably change the fluid anyway here shortly.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:29 PM   #6
RagaX3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwat View Post
I can tell you after changing from RFT's to Non-RFT's on all 4 corners I experienced a similar sensation. I brought it to two master tech's and they both said they couldn't feel what I was describing. In my research the answer is to change fluid and recalibrate. However, since I received a good bill of health from two different BMW master tech's I left it alone and bumped up my tire pressure in all 4 corners. That has definitely improved the sensation. I'm at right about 60k miles so I'll probably change the fluid anyway here shortly.
Interesting, also very concerning...

I believe it's the diameter that affects it, so increasing or decreasing the pressures could certainly improve or potentially fix it from what I've understood.

I'll attempt to measure my rear tyres vs my new tyres, as I've read some tyres are actually bigger or smaller than what's actually marked on the sidewall.

I have a friend with some BMW software, I can attempt a recalibration but was hit with a low voltage problem, I think I have an unrelated battery problem to resolve too.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:13 AM   #7
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaX3 View Post
Interesting, also very concerning...

I believe it's the diameter that affects it, so increasing or decreasing the pressures could certainly improve or potentially fix it from what I've understood.

I'll attempt to measure my rear tyres vs my new tyres, as I've read some tyres are actually bigger or smaller than what's actually marked on the sidewall.

I have a friend with some BMW software, I can attempt a recalibration but was hit with a low voltage problem, I think I have an unrelated battery problem to resolve too.
Funny you say that, the master tech's that drove my car pulled my codes and saw under voltage and SWORE a new battery would fix it. Which it didn't, but that's okay I'm not gonna be stranded anywhere anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 02:10 PM   #8
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Rolling diameter is at best an approximation. I'd suggest going to the manufacturers' websites and look at the technical data for the tires you actually have. What you're looking for is the revolutions/mile or similar measurement.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0