BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
medhath
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Coolant temperature problem

Hello,

My 2013 X3 2.8i is having coolant temperature problem, noticed the the coolant temperature not increasing but the heat is working. Looking at the coolant temperature in the hidden menu, the temperature increases then it goes to -128C (intermittent), the fan goes on and the engine misfires.

The initial code I got was 1xD2008. I changed the MAP thermostat and the coolant sensor but the problem remains.

Anyone else encountered this problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

I have encountered this problem just last week. It only happened once and it hasn't come back since. My oil temp gauge was all the way to the left despite driving for an hour in the freeway. My engine fan was running extremely high despite no overheating warning. No misfires or any other issues. My coolant temp on the bidden obc menu was also -128 degrees and my oil temperature just had "*" instead of an actual temperature reading.

I searched and barley found any other people having the same issue. Some people stated the sensor on the OFH was the culprit but my sensor was replaced a bit more than a year ago. I didn't see anybody state that replacing that sensor fixed the issue. I did read that somebody with the same issue took the car to an Indy and they replaced the water pump and thermostat and the issue went away. Another person stated they replaced those parts too and the issue did not go away.

Overall, as you can see the info is all over the place and I don't have a definitive answer. I just felt like sharing the very little I know on the subject. But I would really like to find a solution to it before the issue gets worse.

Maybe its the thermostat failing and giving bad info to the ECU because the built in sensor(s) are failing? Unsure but I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

What device are you using to scan for fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #4
medhath
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

I am using a commercial OBD-2 scanner i borrowed from work. Here are the codes I am getting now after changing the coolant thermostat:

0x1D2008 Map Thermostat Clamps Open
0x1D2404 Map Thermostat Activation Line Break
0x109001 Coolant Temperature Sensor Electrical Short
Appreciate 1
alphawawa190.00