BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-19-2024, 03:23 PM   #23
Valentine6801
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Post Good work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
(WARNING, WALL OF TEXT INCOMING)

INTRODUCTION

We all know that the HK system is underwhelming in stock form so I decided to upgrade.

DECISION CRITERIA: LABOR COSTS

I needed to save as much as possible on labor because the custom, laser-measured enclosure would be pricey. Space is almost non-existent and the enclosure HAD to have a minimum internal volume if we were going to meet the desired SQ levels.

My installer works extensively with a very stiff but light material, a black PVC-like plastic. It’s lighter and easier to work with and far less labor-intensive and tool-intensive than MDF. Using this material saved time, which in turn saved money. They also use 3D printing where necessary.

I did most of this installation including all the speakers (not shown) and NVX tri-layer deadening but left the hard/custom items to the dealer to handle.

DECISION CRITERIA: EQUIPMENT PERFORMANCE, COSTS AND SPACE

My dealer/installer has all the Focal lines including the preposterously-expensive Utopia M, Focal Inside (including the BMW kits), Mosconi, Audison (including the BMW kits), , JL, all of the Audiotec Fischer lines (top-end Brax, Helix and Match), Dynaudio and Morel and a few others.

I listened to Brax and Helix but Match was the winner. I got about 85% of the performance of the other lines for 50% less money. The Match is also significantly smaller so this would help maximize space in the cargo area.

Speakers were all Focal (not shown in this thread).

DECISION MADE

Using
jinetix
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919576

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1896294

(and others) as source of inspiration and after many exchanges with them, and with abundant feedback from r33_RGSport , decided on:

- Match 10, 11 channel DSP amp: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/up-10dsp

- MATCH PP-BMW 1.9RAM-HK PnP harness: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...-bmw-1-9ram-hk

- URC.3 universal cable remote control: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/b...essories/urc.3

- MATCH MEC ANALOG IN extension card (see compromises, below): https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m.../mec-analog-in

- JL 10TW3-D4 pulled from Lexus GS-F before I traded for the X3M: https://www.jlaudio.com/products/10t...bwoofers-92184

- RF Prime R500X1D mono amp for the sub (also pulled from the GS-F): https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r500x1d/

- Lots and lots and LOTS of install stuff (connectors, tessa tape, heatshrink tubing, zip ties, polyfill, etc), amp kits, interconnects (including TOSLINK), etc.

COMPROMISES

The MATCH MEC ANALOG IN extension card lets you connect the sub amp via low-level signal and DSP it that way. The Match 10 DSP already has a TOSLINK connector, so there was no need to consider the OPTICAL IN extension card.

There was no need to consider the MATCH HD-AUDIO USB-INTERFACE card. The stock system can decode FLAC via the USB ports, so adding this card would be redundant and unnecessary. I can playback DSD rips from SACD, so the stock system is great in that regard.

Similarly, the MATCH MEC BT HD is not useful. The stock system can decode Bluetooth 5.2 (according to the BMW NA “genius” I spoke with ad nauseam) which lets me stream lossless FLAC audio from Tidal HD or Deezer HD. Most modern phones have Qualcomm AptX HD, which works wonders.

Lastly, the Match Amp/DSP only has one available slot, so the Analog MEC won at the end of the day.

Keeping the spare was the only item I didn’t compromise on, exacerbating the lack of space. I ended up removing the two storage baskets/bins, and the right breather cover (shown later) underneath it. This helps dissipate heat from the RF amp.

INSTALLATION, PART 1: TEARDOWN

Took a little over two months working weekends and holidays. Since people are familiar with the teardown, I’ll post just a few pictures:

INSTALLATION, PART 2: AMPS AND DEADENING

I ended up re-arranging the wire paths a few times, as the amp locations simply did not cooperate. I installed the Match amp on the inside of the factory amp rack, facing the street. We relocated the RAM module from the very bottom of the amp rack to the front up high with a custom bracket.

In the last picture, you can see the air breather cover that was removed in order to accommodate the RF sub amp, highlighted with green arrows.

INSTALLATION, PART 3: Match amp install, RAM module

Pictures of the outside of the OE amp panel (facing towards the cabin) with the new gear installed and relocated

You can see that there was just enough clearance to reroute all the connectors from the Match 1.9 harness without interfering with the FARKA connectors or the central locking connectors in the RAM module, or going to the HK amp and the Match amp. Since all harnesses are simple copper wires (no MOST or Ethernet), relocating OE harnesses was easy.

The last picture shows the RAM module installed on its new mount.

This is the Match amp mounted on the inside of the OE amp panel

There was plenty of space between the amps (OE and Match) and the factory sound carpeting facing the inside of the fender. It’s not pretty, its functional. Rarely do both work together.

INSTALLATION, PART 4: SUB ENCLOSURE AND GRILL

Here are pictures of the sub enclosure during its various stages of construction and installation. This was the only part built out of MDF.

Here’s the sub installed. The metal bracket at the bottom screws to a panel of that PVC-like material that pushes it against the OE amp rack. The top of the enclosure screws to the OE amp panel via an internal screw. You can see the hole on the previous pictures. The cabinet is then filled with polyfil.

Here is the OE panel being modified to cover the sub. The hard metal grate is surrounded by automotive-grade vinyl. It did a great job of looking like leather (“pleather”). Is has four layers of Rustoleum Automotive black flat paint.

INSTALLATION PART 5: FINAL TOUCHES

Here are some final pictures of everything buttoned up.

This is the microphone array we used to calibrate the system in real time. We took two measurements in two positions, driver and center/rear between the front seats right behind the center console.

You can download the software from the Auditec Fischer site and play with it in demo mode. Its simple and easy to use but powerful enough to let you select the crossover type, slopes, etc. It also has the ability to use a virtual channel, or true 1-to-1 routing. It’s a very powerful little box.

Hope this soliloquy helps if you want additional ideas on how to upgrade your audio system. I can post more pictures if you need them/want them/planning on doing something similar.
What were the RTA measurements you came up with? I just realized I set my Match UP7 with I/O and crossovers but never went back and did the time alignment. I have a 435i so they may not match but I’m digging through here to see if anyone else has done that stuff. I just changed out my front door speakers from coaxial speakers to component speakers so now I have to go back in and set everything back up to account for the tweeters. Everything is AF except the Focal subs under the seats. Thx!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-19-2024, 06:18 PM   #24
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine6801 View Post
What were the RTA measurements you came up with? I just realized I set my Match UP7 with I/O and crossovers but never went back and did the time alignment. I have a 435i so they may not match but I’m digging through here to see if anyone else has done that stuff. I just changed out my front door speakers from coaxial speakers to component speakers so now I have to go back in and set everything back up to account for the tweeters. Everything is AF except the Focal subs under the seats. Thx!

Couldnt tell you, the JL MAX captured a sh*tload of info, and I'm sure my numbers will vary wildly for you. I can email you the afx file that JL created. You can download a demo of the software and open the file.

The biggest takeaway is flatten everything on idrive and let the match work its magic.

DM me
Appreciate 0