BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Weebs
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Brexit Issues

Well today I was told that my new BMW X3 2.0 M Sport ordered in January with the build completed on the 12th February will not be getting shipped from South Africa until after the 29th March due to fears over border controls with Brexit and I can then expect a further 8 weeks from then till delivery, quite frankly I'm totally disgusted!!! Anyone else received this news today??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Makes no sense. If anything you would want it in country well before the 29th.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      03-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #3
Weebs
Rep

Exactly - Apparently they can’t get the cars here before the 29th so not shipping at all - angry doesn’t even come close to how I feel
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #4
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

How about cancelling the order and getting them to look round for one in stock in the UK already, theres quite a few out there with decent spec's sitting in stock yards around the country. I did this, was given an option of various colours and builds, yes you wont get everything on your tick list potentially but you may get more than you specified if you barter with the sales rep!!.

the irony is the Germans may try to offload extra costs onto you now they are trying to pull this delaying tactic..

I would be just as frustrated and would have cancelled the order entirely, this is yet another excuse for the EU countries to add pressure to the British public for no reason whatsoever!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #5
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I was at a dealer yesterday and heard exactly the same thing - a complete stop on all shipping and they didn’t know what new expected delivery date to advise customers of.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2019, 04:26 AM   #6
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I completely understand that. It they cannot guarantee to deliver and declare the cars at customs to the UK before 29th, then rather not bring them at all - and they can possibly shipped and sell them elsewhere. No matter how strange that sounds. The whole brexit thing is getting really absurd. 2 weeks before the deadline and nothing is clear. That's ridiculous. The economy is going to suffer a lot.

btw I waited for mine 9 months without brexit involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:33 AM   #7
TripleD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant

I’ve looked at UK stock and apparently there is no UK car with the driving assistance pack except an 1 x X3 20d not in M40 guise!
Seemingly an order is the only way, so this isn’t great news ��
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #8
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
If it's any consolation i waited 5 months for my order - also without any Brexit issues. I can understand how frustrating that is though, knowing the car is built and ready to go but sitting there doing nothing.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #9
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Hopefully it won’t end up being as bad as they think it might be. Unfortunately it’s still a wait and see situation though.

Last edited by Lux700; 03-12-2019 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Typo...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:58 AM   #10
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the frustrating thing for customer and dealer alike is not knowing when cars will be coming through.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #11
OtherBusiness
Private
Rep

Thats crazy, can feel your pain. You would think they should be able to bring it in still. This Brexit is a right mess.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

maybe its time to shame some of these other EU suppliers, the world isn't going to stop when Brexit happens, these tactics are initiated by worrying scaremongers who should instead just carry on as normal until told to do otherwise!!. I'm sure Revenue and Customs are not going to suddenly stick up massive barriers for shipments that have already started their journeys from foreign lands..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #13
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Those German car manufacturers are leaving it rather late to do those deals.

Unfortunately, we have all been told to expect delays and potential shortages, but I suppose it's a bit much when we haven't left yet.

I'm waiting on a part for the X3 and that isn't coming any time soon, and that's just a small thing to arrive. So for a whole car? Is there a potential 10% tariff on cars if we have no FTA with the EU or is that just rumour?

Not great for you though.
      03-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #14
eurobear
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d MSport Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
maybe its time to shame some of these other EU suppliers, the world isn't going to stop when Brexit happens, these tactics are initiated by worrying scaremongers who should instead just carry on as normal until told to do otherwise!!. I'm sure Revenue and Customs are not going to suddenly stick up massive barriers for shipments that have already started their journeys from foreign lands..
Actually, they can. If it hasn't landed, the tax can change at any point.

If there is a No-Deal Exit we would lose all our negotiated trade deals with African nations that we had with the EU and we would be obliged to charge the WTO rates, unless the govt. say otherwise. And I doubt car imports would be the highest priority - they'll be focusing on food, fuel/power and critical items.

And why would you risk having a car sitting for weeks at a port in the UK. If they could offload them, it would be chaos (cause lets be honest, our Customs aren't ready for a no-deal Brexit ) and the cost would be high. And if they weren't able to offload a car from the ship because the dockside is full due to the amount of other vehicles sitting there waiting to be processed they would have to keep them on the ship and rent the ship out or have them put somewhere else (like Germany, for example) which would incur higher costs than the cars sitting at the dockside in SA.

I feel sorry for the OP, it's bloody infuriating and you should have been told at the time of ordering that this was a possibility (like Porsche has been doing with their 10% price increase), but it is something we're going to have to get used to for a period of time if we leave the EU without a deal.
Appreciate 2
muzzalad268.50
Spoonhead362.50
      03-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #15
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
How about cancelling the order and getting them to look round for one in stock in the UK already, theres quite a few out there with decent spec's sitting in stock yards around the country. I did this, was given an option of various colours and builds, yes you wont get everything on your tick list potentially but you may get more than you specified if you barter with the sales rep!!.

the irony is the Germans may try to offload extra costs onto you now they are trying to pull this delaying tactic..

I would be just as frustrated and would have cancelled the order entirely, this is yet another excuse for the EU countries to add pressure to the British public for no reason whatsoever!

Really sorry for the OP's position.

tonyb15re - not trying to pick a fight (although I expect I probably have by posting the following); but can I flag to the EU readers of this forum that the view above that the EU or EU companies are in someway causing these issues; is not held by all in HRH Elizabeth's fair land.

Unfortunately if no deal happens (which hasn't been ruled out) - there my well be uncertainty over what tariff can legally be added at port for a German owned item coming from a South African factory. So companies will be hedging their risk of having stuff piling up at sea/in dock, I would imagine. I've seen decisions postponed in other industries already.

Again really sorry to the OP.
Waiting for a car on a normal timeline is a bugger anyway.
Having it delayed is a total PITA.

tonyb15re 's suggestion of finding a stock car and getting a deal is a very sound one!

EDIT: See Eurobear posted something similar while I was carefully Choosing my words.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring

Last edited by muzzalad; 03-12-2019 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Slow typing
Appreciate 1
Spoonhead362.50
      03-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
Weebs
Rep

Thanks for all the input - my BMW dealer has been less than helpful to be fair. Have been offered alternatives which will mean sacrifices such as diesel instead of petrol and different colours as well as different interior but have offered no compensation or cheaper price for this - think my dealer actually wants me to walk away and go elsewhere maybe Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #17
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebs View Post
Thanks for all the input - my BMW dealer has been less than helpful to be fair. Have been offered alternatives which will mean sacrifices such as diesel instead of petrol and different colours as well as different interior but have offered no compensation or cheaper price for this - think my dealer actually wants me to walk away and go elsewhere maybe Audi Q5
Sorry about your experience, but not sure that you can solve this issue by going from one German brand to another, which is probably in the same boat (sorry, bad pun) :
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
Weebs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Sorry about your experience, but not sure that you can solve this issue by going from one German brand to another, which is probably in the same boat (sorry, bad pun) :
No worries on the pun - they have offered a Q5 pretty loaded tech wise with more than the BMW for same money and it’s in the country so I’m thinking that may be the way forward
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #19
offshoretiger
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 M40i

The Audi 2.0 tfsi petrol is a good engine. I used to have one 😊
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
I've looked at UK stock and apparently there is no UK car with the driving assistance pack except an 1 x X3 20d not in M40 guise!
Seemingly an order is the only way, so this isn't great news ��
You could just leave the DA pack, I wouldn't bother speccing it again, just get ACC as it has all the useful parts of DA.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
b19rak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 M340i

Ordered mine mid December, was told March, early April. Now told today like the OP its Mid May. In a fit of rage i cancelled the order. Spent the day phoning around to see whats about, including other makes. I then realised there is f**k all else out there to the spec i want so reluctantly called the lease broker up and asked him to reinstate the deal, which has been confirmed. There are a few 3.0d out there but all stock vehicles and the same price as my build. No point really. The only other car that i really like and is in stock is the XC90 but i'm sure i'd be bored to tears after a few months.

On the plus side i get to use my Golf Gti for a few months which is no bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
I’ve looked at UK stock and apparently there is no UK car with the driving assistance pack except an 1 x X3 20d not in M40 guise!
Seemingly an order is the only way, so this isn’t great news ��
Sytner Chigwell have a M40D with DA+ and Soper Lincoln also have an M40D with DA+ although that one isn't far off the new price with discounts.
Appreciate 0