BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Dashcam wire

Hi fellas,

Temporary plugged my dashcam into today before I hard wire in future. However just wanted to check does the route of the wire look ok?

It goes up the A Pillar, behind the door rubber and across at top towards the windscreen. Please see yellow arrow. I'm assuming this won't interfere with the Airbag?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I took the same route on my 2018 440i. Fortunately the vehicle comes with a 12v socket under the dash on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Correct. To make sure your power wire doesn't interfere with the airbag, you'll need to remove the A pillar trim and route the wire along the existing harness behind the airbag module.

Let us know how you connect power. Fuse tap might be best bet.
      07-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Correct. To make sure your power wire doesn't interfere with the airbag, you'll need to remove the A pillar trim and route the wire along the existing harness behind the airbag module.

Thanks, I've not taken the trim off, just surface tucked under the trim with a trim tool. It just sits under the surface of the trim by a few mm.

Come to think of it though, when I removed the Dashcam, which was professionally installed last time on my F31, it was done in exactly the same way. Surface tucked across the A pillar towards the windscreen.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I've not taken the trim off, just surface tucked under the trim with a trim tool. It just sits under the surface of the trim by a few mm.

Come to think of it though, when I removed the Dashcam, which was professionally installed last time on my F31, it was done in exactly the same way. Surface tucked across the A pillar towards the windscreen.
I would expect nothing less from a typical "professional" installer. For them time is money. They could care less about the airbag.

Quite possible your tucking job is ok, but one never knows what happens to the wire once it's under the trim.
      07-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would expect nothing less from a typical "professional" installer. For them time is money. They could care less about the airbag.

Quite possible your tucking job is ok, but one never knows what happens to the wire once it's under the trim.
Ah, ok. Sounds like it may be ok, but one never knows. I'm sure your way of going behind the airbag module is the best way, however is everyone who fits theirs doing the same? Not sure, I'd trust myself to go that far, not sure if I'm competent enough to think of it. I suppose if the airbag did go off, a loosely tucked wire would come out with it...however far from ideal I know. Thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Looks ok and the same as I've routed mine but I did it on the drivers side as the fuse box is that side and you can tap into the cigarette lighter sockets form there.
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      07-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

willjames, I had the wiring done exactly the same way as I did not wanted to take out the trim panel myself. However, the "Airbag" symbol just kept me thinking. I watched a few videos on youtube to see how the airbags are deployed in a crash and based on that, moved my wiring to bottom.

This video on youtube shows airbags being deployed, and where you have the wire, it may get pulled in an unfortunate event of airbags being deployed:
Name:  airbag1.png
Views: 1264
Size:  413.0 KB

I have moved the wiring to between the A-pillar trim and front windshield. To me, it seems pretty neat and wire is almost invisible. Again, I did not remove the trim but just tucked in the wire. You cannot see it running down from inside or outside of the vehicle:

Name:  IMG_0778.png
Views: 1217
Size:  1,004.7 KB

Name:  pic1.png
Views: 1260
Size:  797.9 KB Name:  pic2.png
Views: 1264
Size:  776.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMeoW View Post
willjames, I had the wiring done exactly the same way as I did not wanted to take out the trim panel myself. However, the "Airbag" symbol just kept me thinking. I watched a few videos on youtube to see how the airbags are deployed in a crash and based on that, moved my wiring to bottom.

This video on youtube shows airbags being deployed, and where you have the wire, it may get pulled in an unfortunate event of airbags being deployed:
Attachment 2104516

I have moved the wiring to between the A-pillar trim and front windshield. To me, it seems pretty neat and wire is almost invisible. Again, I did not remove the trim but just tucked in the wire. You cannot see it running down from inside or outside of the vehicle:

Attachment 2104517

Attachment 2104514 Attachment 2104515
Thanks man, looks a tidy enough job that. I might move mine to the same position, just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Louda0801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X drive

Would the power of the airbag not just push the wire out its way?
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      07-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
VladTheImpaler
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01)

Instructions for removing the trim look straight forward enough.

Thinking about trying it with my cam.

Last edited by VladTheImpaler; 07-22-2019 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      07-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

HI Fellas,

On the topic of Airbags I found this on the internet showing airbag deployment as BatMeoW mentioned. Quite sobering. One thing I do notice is that the A Pillar doesn't look like an Airbag inflates from there. I can see the steering wheel and passenger dash airbags and a long one running at head-height from front to back, which looks like it comes from the headliner above the side windows. I believe there is also a knee airbag, but can't see that on the video.

With that in mind, am I missing something? Does the airbag come out of the A Pillar...not sure now.

However, as BatMeoW states running the wire around near the window and around the side of the dash, is probably best. Absolutely no chance of interference of the head airbags that way. Instead of running across the A Pillar join as I have done on my previous post above. I'm going to re-route mine over the next couple of days.

Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      07-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #13
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
HI Fellas,

Does the airbag come out of the A Pillar...not sure now.
I don't think that the Airbag comes out of A-pillar but there's definitely a control unit there. What I was trying to highlight in my earlier post is that if the wire is at the top of the A-pillar, there is a likelihood of wire getting pulled due to the explosive force of airbag deployment. That may just end up making the dashcam a projectile which can possibly cause serious injury to the occupants.

Take a look at the video at the 27-30s mark.
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      07-23-2019, 05:21 AM   #14
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMeoW View Post
Quote:
HI Fellas,

Does the airbag come out of the A Pillar...not sure now.
I don't think that the Airbag comes out of A-pillar but there's definitely a control unit there. What I was trying to highlight in my earlier post is that if the wire is at the top of the A-pillar, there is a likelihood of wire getting pulled due to the explosive force of airbag deployment. That may just end up making the dashcam a projectile which can possibly cause serious injury to the occupants.

Take a look at the video at the 27-30s mark.
Thanks, another good video. I see what you mean, if tucked in there across the top of the A Pillar it could definitely interfere or fire it out at high speed towards the head.

I'm going to definitely re route my wire as you did and I'll do it tonight
Appreciate 1
BatMeoW48.50
      08-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

It shouldn't be that difficult. Yes there is the airbag in the pillar. But all you have to do is remove the airbag plastic rectangle clip from the A pillar and then pull back the pillar trim and run the wire behind the actual air bag. tucking it as far back as you can. Gives a clean install and safe.
See below for reference obviously not a BMW but I am planning on doing the same once I get delivery of my BMW.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      08-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #16
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

i pulled my A pillar trim off - there is a torque bolt under that plastic rectangle (mentioned above). i tie-wrapped to the wires that BMW has kept on the other side of the airbag

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=37
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00