BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2019, 12:46 AM   #45
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
My thoughts and worries exactly. Everybody is talking about future with EV cars, but somehow forgetting to say the B side - where would the power come from, what is gonna happen with the batteries, etc. Is future really in EV? I'm not sure. Not until we figure out aforementioned questions.

For those comparing power of EV and petrol/diesel cars - EV are not to bring more power, but bring less emissions. Nothing more. That's so far the only argument I'm hearing in favor of EV.
Try the new Tesla Model 3 Performance. Crazy power and good handling. Faster than a BMW M3/M4.

I'm not saying they can't be powerfull. They can and some are, but that's not their mission.
      06-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #46
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
give it a rest guys. Full electric is a niche and impractical. I would rather mate a 3l turbo with a super battery with ludicrous performance encased in a super chassis in an elegant vehicle(with a sensible grille).
Btw my Mrs(blonde) thinks model x looks like a costlier prius and model s welll looks like a mondeo.
Completely agree! Certainly in the UK, charging stations are not wide-spread enough yet. It seems Tesla have the best infra, but personally can’t see myself ever owning one, too tacky and full of plastic (personal opinion).

Now whilst unlikely, a 3.0 BMW with electric...hmm 😂
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13433.00
      06-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #47
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm not saying they can't be powerfull. They can and some are, but that's not their mission.
Would still choose the M3/M4 ANY day of the week...too quiet
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined ‼️
BMW sells what, 2 million cars per year?? You’re dreaming.

When I say the world isn’t ready, I’m not referring to California or the other dozen states where Tesla’s are sold in the US. I’m talking about the other 99% of the planet where Tesla doesn’t even register.

You can’t judge success from the viewpoint of the demographic who buys these expensive cars in a few countries. I think it will take more progress across the board until EVs become the majority of sales, and even more progress in all areas (battery technology with different chemistry, electricity production, massive cost reductions, longevity, etc) before they become the only vehicles on the road.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and it isn’t misplaced. But you are looking at it from an extremely narrow perspective.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i

Last edited by adc; 06-12-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #49
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
My battery will outlast the car, and have a second life after that as a storage device to help power a school or building when power goes out. ICE cars are the dying breed.
Exactly. The current model 3 batteries are expected to last 250k-300k miles at least. And the motors are designed for 1 million miles. These numbers are unheard of before Tesla.

As for power sources, Even 100% coal power is >2x cleaner than gas powered engines. If you add wind and solar, its 4-5x cleaner (like in CA).

The current grid in the US can support EVs for a long long time. we are nowhere close to its limits. Can't speak for every corner of the globe though.

I think the biggest issue with EV adoption is customer education. For those of us in markets like CA/NY, we know all these are non-issues. In other markets where Tesla has yet to sell Model 3 at large scale, people just lack awareness. Tesla's no advertising approach doesn't help, and traditional car dealers will continue to spread FUD like range anxiety, battery longevity and a lot of other nonsense that hasn't been true for 5+ years.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16075.50
      06-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #50
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined ‼️
BMW sells what, 2 million cars per year?? You're dreaming.

When I say the world isn't ready, I'm not referring to California or the other dozen states where Tesla's are sold in the US. I'm talking about the other 99% of the planet where Tesla doesn't even register.

You can't judge success from the viewpoint of the demographic who buys these expensive cars in a few countries. I think it will take more progress across the board until EVs become the majority of sales, and even more progress in all areas (battery technology with different chemistry, electricity production, massive cost reductions, longevity, etc) before they become the only vehicles on the road.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and it isn't misplaced. But you are looking at it from an extremely narrow perspective.
Let me word that correctly.

It's more than just enthusiasm...

*"Tesla Model 3 outsold all premium competition"

https://insideevs.com/news/353847/te...m-competitors/
Attached Images

06-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #51
drtahirnk@outlook.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Road Show has posted a first drive review of the X3 xDrive30e.

2020 BMW X3 xDrive30e first drive review: A plug-in SUV with no shortage of sport

The first plug-in X3 scrimps on neither efficiency nor sportiness.

Some review highlights:

It's not often that a test-drive of a plug-in hybrid takes place on a handling course on an disused runway. But when that hybrid has a BMW badge on the nose, like the X3 xDrive30e, you know the engineers have put as much effort into sportiness and fun as thriftiness and efficiency. It's for that reason that the first plug-in hybrid X3 makes such a good first impression on a brief test drive near Munich, Germany.

The X3 shares its hybrid powertrain with the 330e sedan, which means the core components consist of a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine, an electric motor integrated into the eight-speed automatic transmission and a 12.0-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack under the rear seat. Total system output is 252 horsepower, with the 0-62-miles-per-hour run pegged at 6.5 seconds and top speed set at a healthy 130 mph. The electric motor is rated for 80 kilowatts, equivalent to 107 hp, which is just a bit behind the 330e's motor rating of 83kw.

While far from the ideal location for testing a plug-in hybrid, the X3 xDrive30e shines on a runway handling course at the BMW Experience Center in Maisach, Germany. With the Sport drive-mode button depressed, power is effortless and easy, hauling the crossover out of corners and down straights. Like any X3, it's a handler, too, with crisp turn-in and well-controlled body motions as I slip through a coned-off slalom.

Read the full review at: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/
When will it be available in UK market?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #52
selaing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Will the X3 Xdrive 30E come to USA

Will this SUV ever come to the USA? Anyone in the UK buying and seen one in person and drove it? How much do we expect them to be?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #53
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
NordicX3 has one on order, might have some info.
      10-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #54
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
NordicX3 has one on order, might have some info.
I cannot say when and if it will be available in the US, although many reviews say it will be somewhat delayed(later 2020?) due to BMW having to adjust the car for US emission standards but it will be available later.

I haven’t seen the car as the production starts i December. The car should look like the standard X3(mine is for example is with Msport and 21”), except for the loading hatch in front of driver door and 100 liter smaller boot space(now 450 liter). I,ve not seen any good photos of the boot except a shot taken from side i an auto show(i think it is in “egadget” review). I’ve naturally tested the standard X3 and the 330e which has roughly the same drivetrain as the 30e. The 330e worked just fine and in my view was comparable with other similar drivetrains(e.g. mercedes). You will be able to drive electric in low speeds where the electric motor works very well with instant power. I have had a VW GTE plug in with similar drivetrain for 2,5years now and drive mostly electric as it is very quiet and comfortable, on top of it being very tax efficient in Sweden. However VW lacks the “soul” which my previous BMW F11 Msport had. So hope to combine the best of two worlds here. :-)

On pricing, the 30e costs as base version 599ksek(62kusd, 56keur) and is some 90 ksek (approx 9.3kusd, 8.5keur) more than 30i. However, the 30e includes the connected package with live cockpit, gesture control etc which is some 33ksek in sweden and is not included in 30i. Additionally the 30e includes some governmental environmental bonuses and tax benefits for corporate cars. The extras are priced the same and unfortunately the final price with msport, bigger rims, HK sound, panorama etc is rather much higher than the base price.

I ordered my car in mid September and I got second week in December for production so it will be among the first to be produced. As the car is produced in the US it will probably reach sweden in early/mid February. I can get back with some comments then but I assume that at that point there will be plenty of professional review available as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #55
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

One addition, it seems that the 30e is now available for configuration on the local bmw websites. (At least Sweden and UK)
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      10-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #56
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaing View Post
Will this SUV ever come to the USA? Anyone in the UK buying and seen one in person and drove it? How much do we expect them to be?
By the time it does, you may also have the choice of the iX3 and not need to carry around two kinds of powertrains.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #57
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Maybe increase your post count elsewhere.

Electric is the future regardless of how you see the world.
Not necessarily BATTERY electric, and not necessarily fully electric.

There aren't enough rare earth elements to make every car today into a BEV. Can't get around that.

Plug-in-hybrids are a much better choice.

Hydrogen fuel cells are also a better choice and a great re-use of existing gas station infrastructure. They, too, require rare earth elements, though (but different ones).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #58
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
BMW sells what, 2 million cars per year?? You’re dreaming.

When I say the world isn’t ready, I’m not referring to California or the other dozen states where Tesla’s are sold in the US. I’m talking about the other 99% of the planet where Tesla doesn’t even register.
Agreed - out of small urban bubbles, you rarely see many EVs on the road. Go up to the U.P. in Michigan. esp. in winter. Lots of F-150s.

And even in urban areas, look how many cars are street-parked... on my street, the electric infrastructure won't support electric cars. It would cost $30,000 for ComEd to run new wires to my condo. My point being: even in urban, there are infrastructural barriers to EVs.

Selling Tesla's to rich people doesn't help the environment.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #59
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Quote:
Maybe increase your post count elsewhere.

Not necessarily BATTERY electric, and not necessarily fully electric.

There aren't enough rare earth elements to make every car today into a BEV. Can't get around that.

Plug-in-hybrids are a much better choice.

Hydrogen fuel cells are also a better choice and a great re-use of existing gas station infrastructure. They, too, require rare earth elements, though (but different ones).
Fool cells? ...

Plugin hybrid is great if it's your only car.

If a two car family, then one car can be fully electric.

10-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #60
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
That's what the EU thinks. Because all this fuss about EV vehicles is from the EU, trying to reduce emission. Not saying it's a bad thing. Apparently nobody came up with a better (and acceptable by the ruling people) solution to reduce emissions (not just from cars). I'm also sceptical about this "electric" future. I'm wondering... when an EV tanker and airplanes (which are far worse than cars) are gonna be around.
      10-30-2019, 03:15 AM   #61
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Electric vehicles really cannot be mainstream until they sort out the charging issues/time, I don't want to go on a long journey and have to spend hours in a service station queuing up behind all the other electric vehicles that have run out of power to get a quick charge for another hundred or so miles. It could be worse than when we had petrol shortages many years ago..
The eco warriors pushing Electric Vehicles seem to conveniently forget that the majority of electric is created by burning something thus causing more pollutants than the petrol/diesel powered vehicles that use some form of Catalytic type converter to clean up the emissions. Obviously not the case in countries that are moving more to renewables but that's the minority!.

There have been Proof of Concepts where Roads provide a charge to a vehicle whilst its moving but the cost of putting such an infrastructure in would be prohibitive.

There have also been articles stating that rather than charge your vehicle why not simply swap the batteries out at a filling station for fully charged ones, not sure I would want to swap my brand new batteries out for some from another potentially lot older vehicle though.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #62
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
Electric vehicles really cannot be mainstream until they sort out the charging issues/time, I don't want to go on a long journey and have to spend hours in a service station queuing up behind all the other electric vehicles that have run out of power to get a quick charge for another hundred or so miles. It could be worse than when we had petrol shortages many years ago..
The eco warriors pushing Electric Vehicles seem to conveniently forget that the majority of electric is created by burning something thus causing more pollutants than the petrol/diesel powered vehicles that use some form of Catalytic type converter to clean up the emissions. Obviously not the case in countries that are moving more to renewables but that's the minority!.

There have been Proof of Concepts where Roads provide a charge to a vehicle whilst its moving but the cost of putting such an infrastructure in would be prohibitive.

There have also been articles stating that rather than charge your vehicle why not simply swap the batteries out at a filling station for fully charged ones, not sure I would want to swap my brand new batteries out for some from another potentially lot older vehicle though.

Just my $0.02
Recharging is a rapidly evolving technology:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/13/...st-ev-charger/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #63
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Fool cells? ...

I see the world in terms of physics, and physics says there aren't enough rare earth elements to make batteries for all the cars today, and all the cars in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #64
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Quote:
Fool cells? ...

I see the world in terms of physics, and physics says there aren't enough rare earth elements to make batteries for all the cars today, and all the cars in the future.
Not all the cars today need to be electric.

And the materials used for batteries will change through time.
      10-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #65
Juris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X-3 M40i Alpine White 2019

I thought it has been credibly alleged that the increase to the carbon footprint, to make and then dispose of all of those batteries, negates the alleged reduction in carbon footprint of no longer using gasoline - many times over.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #66
Hellas72
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 30e 2023

Garage List
2023 BMW x3 30e  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2023 BMW X3 30e  [0.00]
I have a question for the BMW 2023 X3 30e . I received it on December 6. I was interested in the anticipatory hybrid drive but it is grayed out. Can anybody explain to me why this is and what do I have to do about it thank you very much.
Appreciate 0