BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
TIM3TRAV3LER
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 (F25)

Activating CarPlay for my 2016 X3 (F25)

I know this has been likely discussed before, so I have done some research on the topic before posting.

Just got a 2016 BMW X3.
From what I understand it currently has the EVO iDrive 5.

QUESTION 1)
When I go to the ConnectedDrive website, it says I am not compatible for CarPlay. Is there a way to make my vehicle compatible so I may then purchase it?

QUESTION 2)
If there is no "BMW" way of installing CarPlay on my car, has anyone here had any experience with bimmer-unlock.com?

*The last thing I want to do is void my warranty, or mess up my car, but if it is a easy process, and there are people that have done it, I wouldn't mind having CarPlay as an additional feature.
**I do know that a CarPlay retrofit sometimes needs an additional Wi-Fi antenna.

Again, apologize if this has been gone in depth already. If there are great guides out there, then referring me to those is just as good. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
softsign
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

It may be possible, especially if your car was built later in the model year. I would start by checking to see what this tool tells you.

I have an early production 2017 and was able to get CarPlay from the ConnectedDrive store following an integration level update.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
X3MYYZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by softsign View Post
It may be possible, especially if your car was built later in the model year. I would start by checking to see what this tool tells you.

I have an early production 2017 and was able to get CarPlay from the ConnectedDrive store following an integration level update.
Hey. I have a 2017 model as well, and curious what you meant by “integration level” update? Can you share some info so I can try?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
TIM3TRAV3LER
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MYYZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by softsign View Post

Hey. I have a 2017 model as well, and curious what you meant by “integration level” update? Can you share some info so I can try?

Thanks!
I believe he means firmware update the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
softsign
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM3TRAV3LER View Post
I believe he means firmware update the car.
Yes, in a nutshell. An integration level is actually a specification of multiple firmware updates to different modules in the car. Sometimes also called i-Level or I-Step or a few other things. BMW tests that the firmware versions of your ECU, head unit, etc. all work together properly, and then calls the collective update an "integration level". You can think of it more like an operating system "build" version. Not everything changes with each release.

Since it involves updating lots of different modules, it's easiest to have a dealer do it for you.

Did you sort out CarPlay on your car, TIM3TRAV3LER?
Appreciate 0