BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #45
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Thtas why you keep a front license holder for the tow hook in your trunk

Literally takes 2 mins to put on
But then you have a cockeyed plate on your car. Easier just to never participate.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #46
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
But then you have a cockeyed plate on your car. Easier just to never participate.
Its not as bug deal as you think, it actuslly makes the car look more exotic
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Quote:
Its not as bug deal as you think, it actuslly makes the car look more exotic
In a 'I made this in my garage with $6 of parts' sort of way. No plate is better than a centered plate. And a centered plate is better than one stuck onto a random spot an engineer stuck a tow hook.

To be fair, it is better than a stupid red tow hook sticking out of there.

And of course, as a temporary solution, the tow hook solution is obviously the perfect fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #48
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I think Florida doesn't require front plates, hasn't for years
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

[IMG]https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...ate-states.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #50
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I get the no drilling into your bumper, but this I don’t agree with as much. I’ve run the tow hook plate on my cars and never thought twice about it. I’m rarely actually looking at the front end of my own car anyway and I don’t care what others think about it.

On a practical level you can remain legal and angle it down the side of the bumper making it harder for the laser to get a clean lock on your car. Win win.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #51
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Honestly. I just don't run the plate and roll the dice. If I get a ticket or two a year I'm ok. They're cheap tickets and I'll just pretend that I paid the DMV to not have to run them.
      05-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Not sure what the fine is for not running a front plate for the ones that choose to pay the fine. But as a follow up to the thieves at the DC government, the fine was $50 for not having a front plate even though my car is not registered in DC. And that $50 fine was back around 1999. Who knows what it is now.

I don't know if any of you going into DC would risk this when even the meter maids can issue a ticket for no front plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #53
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not sure what the fine is for not running a front plate for the ones that choose to pay the fine. But as a follow up to the thieves at the DC government, the fine was $50 for not having a front plate even though my car is not registered in DC. And that $50 fine was back around 1999. Who knows what it is now.

I don't know if any of you going into DC would risk this when even the meter maids can issue a ticket for no front plate.
How do they fine you if your state does not issue a front license plate like Michigan for example? I thought the states have to honor each other's rules like do they for driver's license and marriage license.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #54
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
How do they fine you if your state does not issue a front license plate like Michigan for example? I thought the states have to honor each other's rules like do they for driver's license and marriage license.
They still did. I don't recall what the reciprocity agreement is with DC and my state is. But at the time I got fined for not having a front plate even though my car is not registered in DC, I had to pay it because I was going through a security clearance process with the Feds. So it didn't even fall into me researching if my state honored DC's fines/tickets in denying/holding my vehicle registration until those fines/tickets are paid.

ETA: My state, MD as does VA, requires a front plate. If my car was registered in PA or DE, then the ticket would not be issued by DC. The fact of the matter is I have been to VA and obviously all over MD and was never given a ticket for no front plate. It was only DC that presented a problem. And the ticket was not even issued by a police officer. It was by the meter maids.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #55
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Maybe I grew out of the target democratic, but I swear 9/11 changed that crap around here (NY-Metro area). I don't get bothered about tinted windows and no front plate in the post 9/11 era. Bigger issues to worry about than some guy without a front plate.
      05-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #56
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Pfft I've been driving with no front plate for 30 years plus and have had 1 ticket over it. They already dont care.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      05-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #57
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Maybe I grew out of the target democratic, but I swear 9/11 changed that crap around here (NY-Metro area). I don't get bothered about tinted windows and no front plate in the post 9/11 era. Bigger issues to worry about than some guy without a front plate.
When you have a municipality which some how loses millions from their school budget and no one gets arrested along with the gross mismanagement/abuse of public funds, you can understand the gross money grab these officials are trying to perpetrate onto anyone coming into the city. They've been threatening for years to install toll booths at all the entry points going into DC to extort...I mean collect more money from people. Their mass use of speed and red light cameras is a testament to their money grab tactics along with their overly aggressive parking enforcement.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #58
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
When you have a municipality which some how loses millions from their school budget and no one gets arrested along with the gross mismanagement/abuse of public funds, you can understand the gross money grab these officials are trying to perpetrate onto anyone coming into the city. They've been threatening for years to install toll booths at all the entry points going into DC to extort...I mean collect more money from people. Their mass use of speed and red light cameras is a testament to their money grab tactics along with their overly aggressive parking enforcement.
Red light, and (mostly 25 mph zone) speed cameras are prevalent throughout many parts of NYC proper.
      05-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #59
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

I epoxied several neodymium magnets inside the bumper cover, then attached a rubberized magnetic block to the back of my plate. (Dealers use them to stick plates on cars.)

It comes off in two seconds but has still stayed put at freeway speeds, and I can quickly replace it when I'm driving home after an adult beverage.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      05-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #60
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Red light, and (mostly 25 mph zone) speed cameras are prevalent throughout many parts of NYC proper.
It's been known that where red light cameras are the yellows are too short for the speed zone. You can be fined for going 1 MPH over the speed limit with their speed cameras. While the situation I'm aware of is more or less hearsay, the fact the DC police will not come out and state at what speed you will get a ticket reinforces this. The surrounding municipality, Montgomery County, states in black and white you'll only get a ticket if you're 12 MPH over the speed limit. On top of that, the fines are also among the highest for automated enforcement. There are also mobile speed cameras DC uses.

The amount of revenue DC gets from photo enforcement has been such a huge cash cow for DC that even AAA has questioned DC's use of photo enforcement. Oh and the collected fines just gets absorbed into the general budget to disappear into the ether with no accountability on where that money is going.

But I digress.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #61
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Aren't red lights and speed cameras considered unconstitutional in many states?
(not being able to face the accuser and also for possible malfunctions)
I know Ohio is trying to restrict and fine municipalities that have them.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #62
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

when does this take effect? tho being here in OH I never had a front plate on. Even when I was in Cali. maybe 2 fixit tickets back in the day
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #63
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
when does this take effect? tho being here in OH I never had a front plate on. Even when I was in Cali. maybe 2 fixit tickets back in the day
July 1, 2020
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #64
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

This is surprising as Ohio has a reputation for money/power hungry cops that love to hand out tickets.

On a side note, how stringently it's enforced probably depends on location. In WA state neither me nor my folks have EVER gotten hassled for not having front plates. Been pulled over for other stuff but the [lack of] plates were never an issue.

I assume New York is an entirely different story as every single car there has those nasty yellow things up front.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #65
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Good recent run for Ohio. First, you get OBJ, now this.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #66
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Aren't red lights and speed cameras considered unconstitutional in many states?
(not being able to face the accuser and also for possible malfunctions)
I know Ohio is trying to restrict and fine municipalities that have them.
Many municipalities which run these photo enforcement devices get around it by passing a law which states it is perfectly fine in areas where there are signs warning you there is photo enforcement.
Appreciate 0