BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Keeping camera lense/sensor clear of rain

Today was a raining day and when I was doing a reverse parking into a clear parking lot (no cars around), my 2019 X3 decided to do a automatic force brake (Parking Assistant Plus). Freaked me out thinking I may have hit something, but double checking, it was clear. I confirmed it because did it again on the 2nd and 3rd try. Considering there was nothing there, I am pretty sure it was the rain was messing with the sensor.

I'm happy that it does the hard braking in case of collision, but can't have this going off every time when it's raining.

Last edited by Rhidium; 12-28-2018 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Mine routinely shuts off all nannies when it's raining heavily - along with a big alert on the iDrive screen - the first time it happened I thought I had a bunch of bad sensors or something had broken....the dealer told me it was normal when I asked them about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Matt1002
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 xDrive20i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
Today was a raining day and when I was doing a reverse parking into a clear parking lot (no cars around), my 2019 X3 decided to do a automatic force brake (Parking Assistant). Freaked me out thinking I may have hit something, but double checking, it was clear. I confirmed it because did it again on the 2nd and 3rd try. Considering there was nothing there, I am pretty sure it was the rain was messing with the sensor.

I'm happy that it does the hard braking in case of collision, but can't have this going off every time when it's raining.
Does Parking Assistant (Plus, on my configuration) alone brake automatically when you're about to hit something? Or does it only do that if you also have Driving Assistant?
      12-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Up to 80km/h with DA, above that just with DA+. This is not part of PA. Keeping clear the lenses of camera for good performance
is mentioned in the manual too.
      12-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have the DA+.

About keeping the camera lenses clear of water, how do most of you guys do it? Add RainX or some similar product to the camera lens?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:

About keeping the camera lenses clear of water, how do most of you guys do it? Add RainX or some similar product to the camera lens?
My process for keeping the cameras and sensors clean is simple: I keep a clean, dry microfiber cloth on the tool shelf in the garage. I clean the front bumper sensor, front, side and rear cameras with just a wipe or two.

I have two G01s parked next to each other. Takes 30 seconds when we arrive or depart in the wet.

Works wonders. My cameras/sensors are always clear and the car has never been fooled. Plus, the PDC images in iDrive are sharp.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
My process for keeping the cameras and sensors clean is simple: I keep a clean, dry microfiber cloth on the tool shelf in the garage. I clean the front bumper sensor, front, side and rear cameras with just a wipe or two.
I do the same, gently wiping 4/6 cameras (skipping the two in the windshield), all 12 ultrasonic sensors, and the main radar in the front for ACC (skipping the other 4). Still, rain does mess up the cameras -- I've been thinking about doing something for the cameras, like rain-x, but I'm concerned that the lenses might be plastic (too much cleaning/buffing might haze up the lenses).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:19 AM   #8
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

I thought it was the behind-rear-bumper radar plus perhaps ultra sonic sensors that was part of the emergency rear braking, and not processing of the camera data.

Hard to get away with interference from (hard) rain for the radar sensors.

And yes all the salty sh*t from the roads here in winter clogs the camera lenses. A wet tissue every day helps a bit, but always messy when coming home and need to squeeze into my tiny 70's garage.
      12-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
I really wish manufacturers would do like Mercedes does on some models: the camera is hidden and flips out when in reverse and then hides itself again when in drive. I have a 2017 C43 AMG - drive the car year round in Atlantic Canada's nastiest, saltiest roads and have never cleaned my camera lens once. Amazing feature (til it breaks, but not my problem as I lease).

Last edited by nvestr; 12-31-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Quote:

I believe the cameras already have some sort of coating on them. I use a foam cannon to wash my vehicles and any time the suds hit the lens it sheets off immediately like it would if it had ceramic coat on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

During first rain (following day) the lens had water attached to my rear camera, obscuring vision..

One of my other cars has this issue too, but it was a partial design flaw for that one (camera sloped so it would drip off the camera). The X3 doesn't have this flaw.. so it's somewhat sticking.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
santibtmlaw
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Sporadic stopping when reversing

So I have a 2018 X3 fully loaded. The first week I had the car I reversed and it abruptly stopped by itself. It was not raining when it did this, a couple of days later it was raining and it once again stopped aggressively. The following day it was not raining but the parking lot was wet and it stopped again. It has done this about 20 times already. I took it in 3 weeks ago and they said, there was no issue with the car. Last night it was drizzling and again it did an aggressive stop while reversing. I took my phone out and recorded from the interior and my roommate recorded from the exterior. There were no object to cause the sensor to apply the break, I park in the same spot every day. I now think its a sensor issue. Last night after it did the stop i check the sensors and they were clean. I don't think its the rain as it has happened when its dry and I've backed up when its pouring cats and dogs. Have you guys heard anything or read any other post with info ???
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #13
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by santibtmlaw View Post
So I have a 2018 X3 fully loaded. The first week I had the car I reversed and it abruptly stopped by itself. It was not raining when it did this, a couple of days later it was raining and it once again stopped aggressively. The following day it was not raining but the parking lot was wet and it stopped again. It has done this about 20 times already. I took it in 3 weeks ago and they said, there was no issue with the car. Last night it was drizzling and again it did an aggressive stop while reversing. I took my phone out and recorded from the interior and my roommate recorded from the exterior. There were no object to cause the sensor to apply the break, I park in the same spot every day. I now think its a sensor issue. Last night after it did the stop i check the sensors and they were clean. I don't think its the rain as it has happened when its dry and I've backed up when its pouring cats and dogs. Have you guys heard anything or read any other post with info ???
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the system?
I think the settings are accessible from the idrive.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:19 AM   #14
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
It's using radar behind the bumper, and rear camera. No stickers?

I have never experienced this one, yet.
      02-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #15
santibtmlaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
It's using radar behind the bumper, and rear camera. No stickers?

I have never experienced this one, yet.
I don't have any stickers, nothing is blocking the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #16
santibtmlaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the system?
I think the settings are accessible from the idrive.
Yes, but even if its set on high sensitivity it should not abruptly stop when there is not object behind it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #17
santibtmlaw
Rep

On another note has anyone experienced the trunk opening up due to what i believe might be a design flaw with the key fob ?

I emailed BMW the following email:

"I purchased a BMW X3 on 2 January, 2019 from your dealership, there has been a significant issue that is persisting. On 12 January, 2019, when I entered the vehicle, there was a warning that indicated the trunk was open. I checked and the trunk that I noticed was ajar. I later discovered that it was completely open the previous evening, and a neighbor partially closed it due to the fact that it started to rain. Thankfully there was no water damage and I initially though that I forgot to close it the trunk, which would be out of character. A couple of days later once again I noticed it was open, at which I began to suspect that there was an issue with the car or Key Fob. This weekend, on 27 January, 2019, while on vacation, it once again opened while the car was parked on the street unattended, exposing the contents of the trunk, which was designer luggage. Because of this ongoing issue, yesterday I scheduled an appointment for Friday February 1, 2019, which was the earliest appointment available with a loaner. This morning I found myself in a perilous situation, the trunk once again opened up while my two small dogs were in the trunk and I was at a stoplight! Thankfully someone honked before I proceeded any further into the intersection. The key fob has at times been in my pocket, but today they were sitting in the charging dock. I have owned several BMW, and have never experienced anything like this. I do not know if the key fob is faulty or if there is a sensor malfunction.

In my limited research, I have found that the issue may be with the design of the Key Fob. If this is the case, I would request that the fob be replaced with one of a different design. In the course of this research, I read that many people have had their vehicle reprogrammed to use a two-button unlock, which is not a resolution that maintains the same functionality and convenience. I would appreciate a response and a resolution to this issue as soon as possible, due to the fact that there is liability issues with loss of property or physical harm to my person, passengers and pets. I should not be feeling stressed or be put in a precarious position every time I drive or leave the vehicle unattended, for fear that the trunk will open up sporadically."

They reprogrammed the Key fob so that when i open the trunk i need to hold for a longer period of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #18
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Search the forum, there are already couple of threads about the trunk/boot opening. Solution is the reprogramming the fob the way they already it to you, or to buy a fob cover.
Also a few threads about the unexpected braking. Both has nothing to do with the topic of this thread btw.
      02-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #19
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

Too blabby. Short and sweet will get a response. Verbosity is NOT your friend in this situation.

Paul

Quote:
On another note has anyone experienced the trunk opening up due to what i believe might be a design flaw with the key fob ?

I emailed BMW the following email:

"I purchased a BMW X3 on 2 January, 2019 from your dealership, there has been a significant issue that is persisting. On 12 January, 2019, when I entered the vehicle, there was a warning that indicated the trunk was open. I checked and the trunk that I noticed was ajar. I later discovered that it was completely open the previous evening, and a neighbor partially closed it due to the fact that it started to rain. Thankfully there was no water damage and I initially though that I forgot to close it the trunk, which would be out of character. A couple of days later once again I noticed it was open, at which I began to suspect that there was an issue with the car or Key Fob. This weekend, on 27 January, 2019, while on vacation, it once again opened while the car was parked on the street unattended, exposing the contents of the trunk, which was designer luggage. Because of this ongoing issue, yesterday I scheduled an appointment for Friday February 1, 2019, which was the earliest appointment available with a loaner. This morning I found myself in a perilous situation, the trunk once again opened up while my two small dogs were in the trunk and I was at a stoplight! Thankfully someone honked before I proceeded any further into the intersection. The key fob has at times been in my pocket, but today they were sitting in the charging dock. I have owned several BMW, and have never experienced anything like this. I do not know if the key fob is faulty or if there is a sensor malfunction.

In my limited research, I have found that the issue may be with the design of the Key Fob. If this is the case, I would request that the fob be replaced with one of a different design. In the course of this research, I read that many people have had their vehicle reprogrammed to use a two-button unlock, which is not a resolution that maintains the same functionality and convenience. I would appreciate a response and a resolution to this issue as soon as possible, due to the fact that there is liability issues with loss of property or physical harm to my person, passengers and pets. I should not be feeling stressed or be put in a precarious position every time I drive or leave the vehicle unattended, for fear that the trunk will open up sporadically."

They reprogrammed the Key fob so that when i open the trunk i need to hold for a longer period of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
Too blabby. Short and sweet will get a response. Verbosity is NOT your friend in this situation.

Paul
I wonder what the wiring is in people's brain to share that opinion with the world. He wrote a good letter, he got a good result - period.

Whilst I was reading that the last thing that caught my attention was being verbose :-) . More intrigue.
Appreciate 1
jrc42516.50