BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

X3MC vs F80 M3, test drive

So went to a local dealer for the M town tour and test drove the X3MC this morning with my son. 30 minute drive in M3 to get there, 15-20 minutes in X3MC, then back to my M3 on way home.

Initial thoughts:

-acceleration from start
F80 seems quicker off the line (not saying it is, just feels that way) and I wouldn't be shocked if the 5-60 traffic light sprint numbers confirm that (M3 was pretty quick at around 4.3-4.4 on that test).
-Acceleration once going (30-50 mph range)
X3MC was fast, but again didn't feel faster but I could tell it was based on speed jump, I think the size/weight of the car hides the acceleration feeling you get in smaller/lighter car. Overall it was good though, met expectations.
-Breaking
I was really impressed by this and think it matched my M3
-Handling
Again I was really impressed, I didn't go too crazy because my 10 year old was in the back but I took a few corners on side street at decent speed (sharp turns) and there was very little roll and nice steering feel, felt in total control, huge plus on that for BMW
-Ride
yes it is harsh, but coming from the M3 it was an improvement
-Interior quality
this is a tough one because I have full leather and its something you notice right away. I am not against the textured plastic and think its really nice for being standard and would normally go for that, but coming from leather dash and top door trim to the plastic is something I could notice when I got back in my M3, really bummed this wasn't offered in the X3M and I bet it is down the road (LCI maybe). The rest of it seemed as good or better than the F80 though, a lot of which has to do with better tech (bigger idrive screen, HUD, updated everything from my 2016...) so it felt "NEW" to me...
-Color
first time I have seen Donnington gray in person, was underwhelmed at first, had a bronze tint to it in the lighting at dealership didn't care for it. pulled over half way thru the drive to take some photos and with different lighting it looked AWESOME and normally I am a color car guy (blue, red...). Still not sure I would pick it over Toronto red (need to see that in person).
Interior isn't as bad as I thought, it is more of a tan/mustard than the yellow it looks in some pictures. Seats were great and I love two tone seat options, just wish they did it with more colors as I wouldn't pick the yellow color for my build.

Will update this when I have time, just a quick write up and will add photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mako; 07-21-2019 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
ando1954.50
GianniB35.00
      07-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

I test drove it today as well. it exceeded my expectations in acceleration and handling. for an suv, I definitely likey. regarding "harshness" of suspension, to each their own. I thought, even in sport plus, it wasn't too harsh at all. but I daily my M4 vert almost 70 miles/day on KW V3 slammed every weekday so ...
      07-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great mini review! Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of brakes, did you find the initial bite to be aggressive?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great mini review! Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of brakes, did you find the initial bite to be aggressive?
I didn't really notice, so I guess no. For SUVs I was used to my wife's old X6 and her new XC90, this thing stopped much quicker...
Appreciate 0