BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Hi All,

Installed the dashcam that I discovered and shared on a few of the other dashcam threads. I've owned a Blackvue 2-channel in the past, and whilst video quality was great, where it's generically installed, makes it always look aftermarket and noticable. At the end of the day, the camera just needs to be good enough to pick up the number plate of the vehicle, or the person's face.

Here's the link to the camera for anyone interested: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/52BkZ9I

Installation was an absolute breeze, maybe that's due to doing installations on my previous cars myself, and definitely thanks to the members on the forum who have shared fuse locations (F47 for switch power, F27 for constant power, Firewall fuse bolt for ground).

This camera is the most OEM looking solution out there (even more so than BMW's own offering). The quality of the replacement mirror housing and it's clips/fitment, was spot on!

Thoroughly impressed with this camera implementation, and we'll see how the camera and its quality goes in the long run.

Pictures:
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
nogren327.00
foglem107.50
kevinkay271.50
weez271.50
      07-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Looks OEM for sure....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Looks great fitted.

The quality of the product itself looks a little rough around the edges. How is the recording quality?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
foglem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i; Porsche Macan

Looking forward to more details and sample video. Looks awesome and certainly considering it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Vinny_Loyola
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Looks very nice, I'm also interested in your opinion on video quality.

Thanks

Vinny
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Looking forward to more updates on the fitment, features, functionalities, issues, etc. This OEM'er look may tilt me over from the blackvue 2ch i'm considering. As shown seem to hit both on the form and function. This "Kampacar" brand may actually work out for e46 and e39 as well.

Only concern is i have never purchased anything from aliexpress, so that would be interesting, and different.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Thanks for the heads up _ink! Looks pretty good. In your images it almost looks like there is a protective plastic over the lens that needs to be removed.

As others have said, very interested in the quality of the actual images. Which version did you order: The front lens only and 24hr parking chip or just the front lens model?

Also, could you detail the hard wiring job you did- which side did you run the wires down, etc.

Thanks.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #8
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

It doesn't rattle against the glass at all, does it?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglem View Post
Looking forward to more details and sample video. Looks awesome and certainly considering it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny_Loyola View Post
Looks very nice, I'm also interested in your opinion on video quality.

Thanks

Vinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
Looks great fitted.

The quality of the product itself looks a little rough around the edges. How is the recording quality?
Didn't really get to drive at all this weekend, will definitely get some footage in the next few days to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Looking forward to more updates on the fitment, features, functionalities, issues, etc. This OEM'er look may tilt me over from the blackvue 2ch i'm considering. As shown seem to hit both on the form and function. This "Kampacar" brand may actually work out for e46 and e39 as well.

Only concern is i have never purchased anything from aliexpress, so that would be interesting, and different.

Thanks!
Fitment was 100%! no issues with the installation. But will let everyone know on the video quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Thanks for the heads up _ink! Looks pretty good. In your images it almost looks like there is a protective plastic over the lens that needs to be removed.

As others have said, very interested in the quality of the actual images. Which version did you order: The front lens only and 24hr parking chip or just the front lens model?

Also, could you detail the hard wiring job you did- which side did you run the wires down, etc.

Thanks.
Great spotting! The lens did have the protective plastic over it.

As our cars are too smart, the 24hr parking chip is useless and won't work.

Wiring: I'm in AU so it's a RHD, but same concept, up through the roof, down the pillar, and into the fuse box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
It doesn't rattle against the glass at all, does it?
No rattle at all, the black frame is exactly what the standard part looks like, except, there's now a camera in the middle
Appreciate 2
nogren327.00
Alias1431795.00
      07-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Here are the YouTube links to some footage (excuse the radio and talking in there), for me, I'm more than happy with the quality, as I said, I just need to identify a number plate, so the bar is set very low for my expectations.

Night video:

Tunnel video:

Day video:
Appreciate 5
      07-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #11
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Here are the YouTube links to some footage (excuse the radio and talking in there), for me, I'm more than happy with the quality, as I said, I just need to identify a number plate, so the bar is set very low for my expectations.

Night video:

Tunnel video:

Day video:
Looks pretty good to me
      07-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
Quote:

Night video:

Tunnel video:

Day video:
Looks pretty good to me
Thanks man, very happy with the stealthyness of it!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #13
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

GPS logger: NONE <<---------- hrm, no big deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:06 AM   #14
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

That footage actually looks quite sweet!! I'm impressed.

It takes microSD card? How do you know it's recording? It activates as soon as you turn ignition on and loops the footage to size of SD card?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post

It takes microSD card? How do you know it's recording? It activates as soon as you turn ignition on and loops the footage to size of SD card?
I'm also interested in these details. Looks like one of the bullet points on the product shows "Max External Memory:32G". I myself am not too familiar with Dash Cams but looking to get one, so I am not sure if 32GB would be enough storage space.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I'm also interested in these details. Looks like one of the bullet points on the product shows "Max External Memory:32G". I myself am not too familiar with Dash Cams but looking to get one, so I am not sure if 32GB would be enough storage space.
Did you scroll down the webpage linked at the top?

Loop Recording:
Automatic seamless video recording in loop to use the storage efficiently, with the earliest unlocked video clips being overwritten when reaching the storage card's maximal capacity.

G Sensor Function
G-sensor auto locks the event videos. Lock the important video ,avoid to overwrite.

You dont need to record tons of video you only need to record time before and immediately after an accident etc. If you want to record your whole journey stick a Go Pro in the Car
Appreciate 1
_ink619.00
      07-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #17
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks _ink for the info, video and tutorial!

I need "Dashcam for Dummies"......
Do you have to turn in on every time you start the car? - and if you leave it on - it keeps recording??
If you want to retrieve footage you pull the memory card and download it into your computer?

"the 24hr parking chip is useless and won't work." would have meant it records 24/7 or motion detector?

THANKS!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yep it takes a SD card, all details in the link.

Quote:
Quote:

As above, in the link. The right amount of memory depends on how much you're driving, and how early you 'find' something on your car that you want to look back on footage for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post

Do you have to turn in on every time you start the car? - and if you leave it on - it keeps recording??
If you want to retrieve footage you pull the memory card and download it into your computer?

"the 24hr parking chip is useless and won't work." would have meant it records 24/7 or motion detector?

THANKS!!
You need to watch some YouTube videos to see how dashcam's operate, they are all pretty much the same with some more/less features.

Do not buy the 24 hr parking chip, it does not work for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #19
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

As above, in the link. The right amount of memory depends on how much you're driving, and how early you 'find' something on your car that you want to look back on footage for.

Quote:

THANKS!!
You need to watch some YouTube videos to see how dashcam's operate, they are all pretty much the same with some more/less features.

How come the 24h doesn't work? Is it because the power cuts off in the fuse box after 15 minutes of inactivity?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #20
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iManu View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

THANKS!!

How come the 24h doesn't work? Is it because the power cuts off in the fuse box after 15 minutes of inactivity?
The ECU picks up battery drain and throws error codes, you'd need to install a Cellini type battery pack which members have documented on in other dashcam threads.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #21
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
The ECU picks up battery drain and throws error codes, you'd need to install a Cellini type battery pack which members have documented on in other dashcam threads.
And then would you feel the need to get the rear camera too.....?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:27 AM   #22
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
And then would you feel the need to get the rear camera too.....?
Not at this stage, but if I do decide to later down the road, I could install a separate dashcam that uses the same mobile app (for consolidated ease of access/operation)
Appreciate 0