BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

New M40i - PCD, Seats, Potholes...

Took delivery a couple of weeks ago at the PCD in Spartanburg. Awesome day! This thing can take some serious abuse on the handling course. Off-road course was also a lot of fun.

New owner notes:

- It's quiet and smooth and solid and fast!
- It's quiet until you hit the Sport Plus setting. Then it sounds meaner than my M3 Comp!
- Acoustic Glass was worth the $150
- Ventilated Seats are totally comfortable enough for me and the wife. But they are not "body-hugging" at all, especially compared to my M3 seats, of course. We hit many very windy roads on the way home and we were sliding around as we pushed it, but no real complaints. The long highway hours were fine too.
- Ventilated Seats don't seem to ventilate all that well. I will have the dealer check this just to make sure they're working properly. I hear the fans blowing, but never really feel any cool air.
- So far no issues with mysterious tail gate opening issues
- Spare Tire option worth every penny! 80 miles from home we hit a giant pothole in the center of the highway while changing lanes. That completely destroyed the right front tire. Two gaping holes in the side wall. We drove slowly on the shoulder for two miles no problem and put the spare on to complete the trip. The wheel had a couple of small nicks, but stayed round and true.
- It was a great 750 mile drive home and we're mighty impressed overall

The Build:
2019 M40i
Phytonic Blue
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
Executive Package
M-Sport Diff
Adaptive M Suspension
21" Wheels
Trailer Hitch
Acoustic Glass
Space Saver Spare
Front Ventilated Seats
Wireless Charging
Harmon Kardon Sound

Huge thanks to all the forum members for all the data, info, opinions, comments etc. It was extremely helpful to make an educated buying decision.
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0018923.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
JustChris17427.50
      04-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
sprokai
Lurker
Rep

Some pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Lux700551.00
BMWZ41904.00
chicagofan0018923.00
JustChris17427.50
      04-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Congrats on the new X3! Sounds like a great trip minus the pothole.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
We just did our PCD this week. We have almost identical builds. Even have some BRP pix to post 😀
      04-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Congrats! Great looking car and awesome color choice

Great to hear that you had a fun time driving home from Spartanburg despite the pothole incidence! Your choice of spare tire option paid off immediately !
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
- Ventilated Seats don't seem to ventilate all that well. I will have the dealer check this just to make sure they're working properly. I hear the fans blowing, but never really feel any cool air.
BMW ventilated seats don't cool, by the way. It's one of the things we disliked most about our 750. BMW is quite explicit about that distinction. Thats why we didn't bother to spec ours with them. Our Porsche, as well as Infiniti and Ford all cooled great. I find the seats to be quite firm with a lot of lateral support.
      04-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
sprokai
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post
Quote:
BMW ventilated seats don't cool, by the way. It's one of the things we disliked most about our 750. BMW is quite explicit about that distinction. Thats why we didn't bother to spec ours with them. Our Porsche, as well as Infiniti and Ford all cooled great. I find the seats to be quite firm with a lot of lateral support.
Y'know... you try to do as much research as you can, but somehow this fact eluded me. Our old Explorer pumped A/C through the seats which was awesome and I just assumed BMW did the same. Kinda lame. We'll see what happens when it hits 95 degrees.

I've been wondering if X3M Seats would bolt in to an M40i... it would be expensive but might make this car almost perfect in every way.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
CH3CKM4TE
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4CS | M3CX | X5

Garage List
Congrats on the new new. Love that color!

IG: @CH3CKM4TE_
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Congrats on the new addition to your BMW stable and welcome to the X3 family! Beautiful shots too!
      05-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Raypep
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Macan S

I'm wondering if the ventilated seats in the BMW would still be enough to keep sweat away. I struggle especially when wearing a suit/dress clothes.

Or is it an option just to avoid as it is pretty useless.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
mmmmm40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

I sweat alot, that is just a fact I live with. Today the car hit 90 degrees parked in the sun, and I had the ventilated seats on full blast on the ride home. I can't say that I 'felt' it when it was running, but you definitely notice the moment you turn it off. It'll never cool as much as some of the others but absolutely was effective at preventing me getting a shadow of myself on the back of my pants
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I'm wondering if the ventilated seats in the BMW would still be enough to keep sweat away. I struggle especially when wearing a suit/dress clothes.

I had them in my X5 when I lived in the Phoenix area. They were quite effective at keeping sweat at bay during the summer months. They do not actively cool you but they do a good job of removing excess heat buildup in the seat. If I were still in Arizona I suspect I would have ticked that box on my M40i, even knowing what compromises the resulting seat change bring.

However since I no longer have to deal with that kind of heat I skipped it this time around.

Basically, they work. Just not as most would expect.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #13
ElanMike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M440i (soon)

Quote:
Took delivery a couple of weeks ago at the PCD in Spartanburg. Awesome day! This thing can take some serious abuse on the handling course. Off-road course was also a lot of fun.

New owner notes:

- It's quiet and smooth and solid and fast!
- It's quiet until you hit the Sport Plus setting. Then it sounds meaner than my M3 Comp!
- Acoustic Glass was worth the $150
- Ventilated Seats are totally comfortable enough for me and the wife. But they are not "body-hugging" at all, especially compared to my M3 seats, of course. We hit many very windy roads on the way home and we were sliding around as we pushed it, but no real complaints. The long highway hours were fine too.
- So far no issues with mysterious tail gate opening issues
- Spare Tire option worth every penny! 80 miles from home we hit a giant pothole in the center of the highway while changing lanes. That completely destroyed the right front tire. Two gaping holes in the side wall. We drove slowly on the shoulder for two miles no problem and put the spare on to complete the trip. The wheel had a couple of small nicks, but stayed round and true.
- It was a great 750 mile drive home and we're mighty impressed overall

The Build:
2019 M40i
Phytonic Blue
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
Executive Package
M-Sport Diff
Adaptive M Suspension
21" Wheels
Trailer Hitch
Acoustic Glass
Space Saver Spare
Front Ventilated Seats
Wireless Charging
Harmon Kardon Sound

Huge thanks to all the forum members for all the data, info, opinions, comments etc. It was extremely helpful to make an educated buying decision.
I just ordered this exact same build last Friday except I didn’t see any option for acoustic glass? I had that on my Jag; is it not standard?
I’m also glad to hear your views on Ventilated seats. I too ordered that option as can’t live without them here in Phoenix, it read so many horror stories on this forum. I did test drive and seemed ‘ok’ but didn’t really push it at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post

I had them in my X5 when I lived in the Phoenix area. They were quite effective at keeping sweat at bay during the summer months. They do not actively cool you but they do a good job of removing excess heat buildup in the seat. If I were still in Arizona I suspect I would have ticked that box on my M40i, even knowing what compromises the resulting seat change bring.

However since I no longer have to deal with that kind of heat I skipped it this time around.

It's not that hot here! At least not enough where I would make the compromise in seat choice at least.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
MarkyM381.50
      05-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
Raypep
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post

That is what I was thinking. At the end of the day, I just want to ensure not to have sweat build up (lol).

I will have to test drive both seats and see if the non-adjustable bolsters are worth it for me. Its tough because most M40's in my area don't have ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0