BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #23
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTB View Post
Congrats on the new X3 and welcome to the Family!
Thanks. I see you have the same interior - great choice!

I haven't seen any Alpine White in the flesh yet - but would imagine that looks pretty nice on the G01.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #24
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Welcome to the X3 family.
Lovely spec. But as an engineer I just had to add the Driving Assistant packages.

Regarding the lag; most of the time it's actually software, and especially the transmission.
Try setting up your sport individual with engine and transmission in sport, and see how it goes.
Thanks nogren. Will give it a go and just watch the revs as I'm still running in.

I think I can possibly get lane assist coded as well as speed limit indicator. Which of the assists have you found interesting?
The speed limit assist is wonderful for me. I have had ACC in previous car, and couldn't live without it, but the traffic I am in doesn't help much for the Lane assist. Could live without all steering interventions actually.
      02-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #25
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The speed limit assist is wonderful for me. I have had ACC in previous car, and couldn't live without it, but the traffic I am in doesn't help much for the Lane assist. Could live without all steering interventions actually.
I'm just coming to terms with having my first automatic car, so have gone gently into the world of assists.

Did have speed limit assist in my last car though. We travel over to Europe quite a bit, so really handy when I haven't (re)looked up the speed limits in each country...
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:33 AM   #26
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm just coming to terms with having my first automatic car, so have gone gently into the world of assists.

Did have speed limit assist in my last car though. We travel over to Europe quite a bit, so really handy when I haven't (re)looked up the speed limits in each country...
Note that speed limit info is not speed limit assist.
      02-15-2019, 03:01 AM   #27
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, of course. Sorry.
I've seen something on that.

Does that basically hook up a max speed +/- the current speed limit and then enforce it like the manual limit function? i.e. Speed regulated unless less you slam your foot to the floor?

(and sorry - sure there are many threads on this)
2015 BMW M135i (F20)

Last edited by muzzalad; 02-15-2019 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:47 AM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Nice write up. Did you collect t his Saturday, I had the 10AM slot

Car looks lovely, congratulations.
      02-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #29
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Nice write up. Did you collect t his Saturday, I had the 10AM slot

Car looks lovely, congratulations.
Thanks fella.

I was actually the week before; think he a slightly less frenetic day the day I got mine.
Just took some time to post on here.

BTW - Just seen your flippin' car history in your signature!
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      02-15-2019, 04:06 AM   #30
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, of course. Sorry.

Does that basically hook up a max speed +/- the current speed limit and then enforce it like the manual limit function? i.e. Speed regulated unless less you slam your foot to the floor?

That's the way yes

If speed limit changes it gives you the option to select the new limit manually rather than auto change much the same way as ACC does
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      02-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #31
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
That's the way yes

If speed limit changes it gives you the option to select the new limit manually rather than auto change much the same way as ACC does
That sounds pretty cool.

I'll pop that on the spec sheet for my 2023 build with TRL...
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:16 AM   #32
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, of course. Sorry.

That's the way yes

Well, it actually give you a one touch option (the rocker switch) to set the new speed (+- a pre configured offset max 15kmh), for cruise control or Speed Limiter, whichever is currently in use.

Very relaxed driving with it, especially in combination with ACC.
      02-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #33
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Congrats and welcome to the family! Great looking car! Enjoy the ride
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      02-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #34
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's the way yes

That sounds pretty cool.

I'll pop that on the spec sheet for my 2023 build with TRL...
Speed Limiter function is standard, you should have that already, once you get the SLI speed limit info coded it should work that way for you
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      02-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #35
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Congrats and welcome to the family! Great looking car! Enjoy the ride
Thanks!

See you've got Phytonic with Cognac. That combo looks pretty sweet too.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #36
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Speed Limiter function is standard, you should have that already, once you get the SLI speed limit info coded it should work that way for you
Really?

Well that would be a total bonus if I got that after coding on top of the the standard SLI. It doesn't need an additional FSC?

Definitely got manual speed limiting as have used it through a 50 avg speed check already.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #37
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Really?

Well that would be a total bonus if I got that after coding on top of the the standard SLI. It doesn't need an additional FSC?

Definitely got manual speed limiting as have used it through a 50 avg speed check already.
I don't believe so, I have used it that way with just the limit function on, it should be tied to the FSC for the SLI, it's just giving you shortcut to quickly change speed limit so probably quite a simple thing when info is there

I hope so anyway, don't want to give you false hope, let us know when you get it done
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      02-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #38
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't believe so, I have used it that way with just the limit function on, it should be tied to the FSC for the SLI, it's just giving you shortcut to quickly change speed limit so probably quite a simple thing when info is there

I hope so anyway, don't want to give you false hope, let us know when you get it done
Hey, no worries at all. As I said, it would be a bonus if it did happen. Not like I've paid for your advice.

Will definitely update once done. Coding happening this weekend.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #39
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, no worries at all. As I said, it would be a bonus if it did happen. Not like I've paid for your advice.

Will definitely update once done. Coding happening this weekend.
Cool await the feedback
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      02-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #40
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool await the feedback
SLI installed and loving having it back. Gxx variant has a really nice animation v the Fxx version when speed changes; although that might be my digital display v old analogue dials and their diddy digital section.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Speed Limit Assist came as an added bonus. There doesn't seem to be anything in the menus, and I've tried mucking around with cruise and the manual speed limiter. Assuming that's one that's limited to ACC.

All good though as I didn't know I was going to get the option to have a red line following the speedo needle, pointing out how much over the limit I was. Doesn't limit the speed, but gives a visual cue. Not sure if that's exclusive to the 6WB digital cockpit.
Obviously I haven't had chance to, nor, of course, would I want to test this out. But 'hypothetically' that would give a nice extra indicator of how much one had accidentally exceeded the current limit and needed to brake (in a safe controlled manner using mirrors of course).

Simon (/Syzmon) @ Bavarian Coding was ruthlessly quick at doing the install, which only inspired more confidence. Great recommendation from Teaston.
He also let me look at the Alpina displays, which looked really nice, but as per other comments on here - looked pretty full on bright, at night. So stayed OEM on those.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      02-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #41
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool await the feedback
SLI installed and loving having it back. Gxx variant has a really nice animation v the Fxx version when speed changes; although that might be my digital display v old analogue dials and their diddy digital section.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Speed Limit Assist came as an added bonus. There doesn't seem to be anything in the menus, and I've tried mucking around with cruise and the manual speed limiter. Assuming that's one that's limited to ACC.

All good though as I didn't know I was going to get the option to have a red line following the speedo needle, pointing out how much over the limit I was. Doesn't limit the speed, but gives a visual cue. Not sure if that's exclusive to the 6WB digital cockpit.
Obviously I haven't had chance to, nor, of course, would I want to test this out. But 'hypothetically' that would give a nice extra indicator of how much one had accidentally exceeded the current limit and needed to brake (in a safe controlled manner using mirrors of course).

Simon (/Syzmon) @ Bavarian Coding was ruthlessly quick at doing the install, which only inspired more confidence. Great recommendation from Teaston.
He also let me look at the Alpina displays, which looked really nice, but as per other comments on here - looked pretty full on bright, at night. So stayed OEM on those.
Sounds great! I'm tempted.

I'm sure you now this but I'll offer the help. Wife's X2 has SL Assist. You need to tick it in IDrive and indicate what speed (above ) the limit you. Then you have to be driving using the LIMIT feature.

All good.

Then when you are driving around, moving from say a 30 to 60 zone, you will be prompted to accept 65mph as the new limit. You do this with a single press on the left scroll wheel (the one you set the limit with etc). If you don't accept eventually the prompt disappears.

Sorry if you already know this. Maybe some peeps are not aware of the need to enable it in iDrive.

Good luck. I found it ok but not essential when borrowing the wife's car so no biggie if this isn't enabled SLD is the main benefit.
      02-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #42
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm sure you now this but I'll offer the help. Wife's X2 has SL Assist. You need to tick it in IDrive and indicate what speed (above ) the limit you. Then you have to be driving using the LIMIT feature.

All good.

Then when you are driving around, moving from say a 30 to 60 zone, you will be prompted to accept 65mph as the new limit. You do this with a single press on the left scroll wheel (the one you set the limit with etc). If you don't accept eventually the prompt disappears.

Sorry if you already know this. Maybe some peeps are not aware of the need to enable it in iDrive.

Good luck. I found it ok but not essential when borrowing the wife's car so no biggie if this isn't enabled SLD is the main benefit.
Thanks again JustChris

I did have a hunt around the menus, but I couldn't find that, unless it's the Speed Warning bong (which is set at xxMPH currently)?
Do you know what menu it's under on the X2?
Given I've missed the fact that there's a great big button saying 'Map' on my iDrive controller, it is very possible that I missed something in the menus!

When I got it coded, I did specifically ask for SLI, and didn't ask for assist. It might be that it would have been an extra job rather than just coming bundled with SLI. Which is another possibility.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #43
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool await the feedback

Thanks for update, looks like speed Limit assist must be linked to ACC somehow and I suppose if that part is coded it would throw up an error? but at least it works as you expect

Looking at the drivers guide app the part on manual speed limit assist is within the ACC section but can be used with ACC off
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      02-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #44
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

All good.

Thanks again JustChris

I did have a hunt around the menus, but I couldn't find that, unless it's the Speed Warning bong (which is set at xxMPH currently)?
Do you know what menu it's under on the X2?
Given I've missed the fact that there's a great big button saying 'Map' on my iDrive controller, it is very possible that I missed something in the menus!

When I got it coded, I did specifically ask for SLI, and didn't ask for assist. It might be that it would have been an extra job rather than just coming bundled with SLI. Which is another possibility.
Ah that's a shame, I'm sure if you've liked around there is nothing obvious.

Popped outside for you to get a few photos from the X2
Attached Images