BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #89
Steadyhand
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90, E70, F30, F97/G01 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Absolutely, I respect that. In my opinion as an owner, the S58 tuning is designed to really do what the mode level dictates.

From experience, I find the comfort mode is designed to deliver the smoothest, calmest throttle response possible.. to hide the fact that the car has 500 hp. A good car goes fast, a great car does EVERYTHING well... comfort mode in an S58 is a desperate attempt to tone things down. So anyone saying its laggy in comfort, understand its by design and imagine your grandmothers driving it.

If you want to talk about real "performance" problems on the X3/X4M, lets talk about the brakes. They are great, but not good enough to abuse a 2 tonne car with 500hp, the way an M product is intended to be abused...

That's right, if you are considering this car.. know that you'll never know the limits of the power train, but you will fell like there's always too much effort to bring it back to earth, from illegal supersonic speeds... which is unfortunate, 6 pot front brakes with larger pad surface would have been easy to do right from the factory. The Macan Turbo has 6 pots, so does the Alfa Romeo.. BMW fucked up on that point, and they know it.. but justify it thinking soccer moms buy these cars. No, they really dont guys, they buy comfy benzes.
I do hope you're speaking in jest. I had the unfortunate opportunity to need to use the breaks in an emergency situation - the two cars in front of me nearly collided and if not for the massively fantastic breaks in this X3M I would have smashed us all together. I went back and looked at the statistics and R&T and MT both have these X3M/X4M hitting Zero (0) from 60mph at 94 feet.

94 feet~!! The Porsche 911 GT3 at $194,500 hits sixty-to-zero in 93 feet! One foot difference and you're claiming BMW F-ed up? You're a funny guy. No matter how these breaks are designed (I heard BMW essentially used the M760 breaks for these), they work fantastic. Better than the AMG or Porsche SUV brakes. Look it up. Try emergency breaking. I did out of necessity.

Last edited by Steadyhand; 06-19-2022 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #90
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
No matter what car someone will always have complaints about one aspect of a car or another. I will say this forum is tamer than most. Read a Mustang forum 😁

I agree there is a lack of tq in the OVERDRIVE gears which is why most won’t try and pass in 7th or 8th. As far as the brakes, I agree with the Steadyhand. These brakes stop better than my Hellcat with 3 piston Brembo’s up front. Both weighed in at ~4600 lbs.

The Achilles heal of the X3 M Competition is some buy them before knowing what they are. Just my .02

Last edited by Mike02z; 06-19-2022 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #91
Jarocki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI X3M Comp

Too lazy to read through the entire thread but since this topic keeps popping up, I'll contribute my opinion.

I took delivery of my LCI in Seattle, and after 5k miles, just moved to Denver.

The difference in sub-3k acceleration is MASSIVE. Turbo lag has become exponentially amplified, I'm assuming from going from sea level to 5-6k feet. Above 3k rpm, butt dyno feels very little difference.

Given this, I suspect a lot of complaints of low end power are partially due to elevation, or being in the wrong gear. I had no complaints of low end power in Seattle

You're welcome for my unsolicited advice
Appreciate 1