BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Extensive Review of Paul Johnson (F80 Paul) Stage 1 E60 Tune

F80 Paul (Paul Johnson) Stage 1 E60 ECU Tune

As I previously stated, the whole reason I got this vehicle was for the tuning potential. The S58 is a monster when you add a little more boost, timing and ethanol. I did a lot of research on tuners for this platform and even a few other M platforms and F80 Paul continued to pop up.

Tuning Process:
All tuning is handled through BM3. If you already have the license, you will need to purchase the tune at pauljohnsontunes.com and then within the BM3 app, request a custom tune from them.

Before flashing the first time, I ensured to gap down my stock spark plugs to .022 as recommended by Paul. There are a lot of docs out there and it's very easy to do. This is essentially the only requirement to run this file.

I started tuning with him on 4/24/2022 and just wrapped up my final revision on 5/10/2022. Now, that may seem like a long time but my work life makes it challenging to log during the day, the crappy IL weather delays things as well and so does everyday life. We ran through maybe a dozen revisions and adjustments along the way. That may seem like a lot to some but my DA can change drastically so I made the personal decision to send more logs on hot and cold days to ensure we can fine tune as much as we possibly can. After the standard 3-4th gear pulls I wanted him to review my 1/4 mile and launching logs as well to make sure everything was in check. I go to the drag strip regularly so this was a big priority.

My situation might not be the same as everyone else. Most of the time you will likely go through 5-7 revisions and be good to go but I wanted to take the extra step to really dial it in for my uses case.

Communications:
Paul and Nicholas were awesome to work with. They reviewed logs before noon CST every day and I had revisions within 12 hours. The communication was on point, the tune felt incredible every step of the way and I didn't encounter any issues what so ever. From past experiences with different tuners on different platforms, a lot of them like to keep the info and details to themselves. They don't tell you want is being changed or what needs improving and just send you a new file and say "try this". That is not the case here. Nicholas and Paul gave great detail on how each log looked, what areas they were improving and even gave feedback on 1/4 mile and 60-130mph Dragy data in comparison to what they see from other customers. If you are a guy like me that wants to know the finer details, they will surely provide and answer any questions you have.

Driving Impressions:
The daily drivability of this tune feels awesome. After a little seat time and adaptation learning it's very smooth and seamless. Most wouldn't be able to tell a difference from an OEM car until you push your foot to the floor. A lot of people mistaken high HP vehicles to be undrivable at slow speeds or in traffic etc which can be the case for some but certainly does not apply here. I have 0 complaints on the drivability.

Since ethanol burns at a much faster rate than gasoline and the fuel system is ramped up to move even more of it, yes your MPG will take a hit. On BM3 OTS 93 I was averaging 14-15mpg around the city. I live in a city with a lot of stop and go and very little highway 50mph cruise zones. On E60, with the same driving style I average roughly 10-11mpg. It's not a huge hit but lets be honest, you don't get an X3M if you want high miles per gallon, you get it for the smiles per gallon lol.

All said and done, I highly highly recommend F80Paul for S58 tuning. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Now... for the good stuff

I recorded over a dozen 60-130 times to use and compare each file. Granted, DA changes and some comparisons aren't truly accurate but with a little knowledge you can still get a general understanding for how the car is performing at a given DA. I log and Dragy on the same exact road, at the same exact starting point every single time to try and keep the control as consistent as possible.

The first slip is on the base E60 file, each slip following it was a revision. For the sake of this thread I wont upload them all but you can clearly see the progression in power. Keep in mind the DA does change so just because a time might get slightly slower, it's likely due to the increasing DA. The very last slip was from this past weekend at Great Lakes Dragaway. LOOK AT THAT DA!

I knew these cars would get fast but I never expected to be running mid to low 7s 60-130s in the middle of summer with no additional cooling... I am beyond satisfied with the performance of this car.

Here are a few more metrics from my fastest recorded Dragy runs. I'm still getting used to launching this car so I have no doubts I'll be able to improve upon them. It's very obvious in the 60' that this car will go low 10s if I can get the launch dialed into the 1.6s

That wraps it up for this post. I will continue to update my build thread as the car goes faster. Hopefully I was able to address any curious owners out there that have been on the fence about tuning or anything along the way.

Cheers!
FSociety3810.00
Lifted55.50
Jnat381.00
      05-15-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
I assume you have a MY 2020?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:27 PM   #3
BadGTR
badgtr
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTR & 13 m5 stage II tuned

Great post! I have a Mission Performance tune for e50 and have been contemplating a PJ tune. How much boost were seeing in the logs and WG duty cycle?
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-16-2022, 09:01 AM   #4
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsavarese View Post
I assume you have a MY 2020?
That is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGTR View Post
Great post! I have a Mission Performance tune for e50 and have been contemplating a PJ tune. How much boost were seeing in the logs and WG duty cycle?
Boost will depend on the gear but in 3rd and 4th I'm seeing roughly 28.5 - 29.5psi and WGDC is between 77-80%.
      05-18-2022, 04:12 AM   #5
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
F80 Paul (Paul Johnson) Stage 1 E60 ECU Tune

As I previously stated, the whole reason I got this vehicle was for the tuning potential. The S58 is a monster when you add a little more boost, timing and ethanol. I did a lot of research on tuners for this platform and even a few other M platforms and F80 Paul continued to pop up.

Tuning Process:
All tuning is handled through BM3. If you already have the license, you will need to purchase the tune at pauljohnsontunes.com and then within the BM3 app, request a custom tune from them.

Before flashing the first time, I ensured to gap down my stock spark plugs to .022 as recommended by Paul. There are a lot of docs out there and it's very easy to do. This is essentially the only requirement to run this file.

I started tuning with him on 4/24/2022 and just wrapped up my final revision on 5/10/2022. Now, that may seem like a long time but my work life makes it challenging to log during the day, the crappy IL weather delays things as well and so does everyday life. We ran through maybe a dozen revisions and adjustments along the way. That may seem like a lot to some but my DA can change drastically so I made the personal decision to send more logs on hot and cold days to ensure we can fine tune as much as we possibly can. After the standard 3-4th gear pulls I wanted him to review my 1/4 mile and launching logs as well to make sure everything was in check. I go to the drag strip regularly so this was a big priority.

My situation might not be the same as everyone else. Most of the time you will likely go through 5-7 revisions and be good to go but I wanted to take the extra step to really dial it in for my uses case.

Communications:
Paul and Nicholas were awesome to work with. They reviewed logs before noon CST every day and I had revisions within 12 hours. The communication was on point, the tune felt incredible every step of the way and I didn't encounter any issues what so ever. From past experiences with different tuners on different platforms, a lot of them like to keep the info and details to themselves. They don't tell you want is being changed or what needs improving and just send you a new file and say "try this". That is not the case here. Nicholas and Paul gave great detail on how each log looked, what areas they were improving and even gave feedback on 1/4 mile and 60-130mph Dragy data in comparison to what they see from other customers. If you are a guy like me that wants to know the finer details, they will surely provide and answer any questions you have.

Driving Impressions:
The daily drivability of this tune feels awesome. After a little seat time and adaptation learning it's very smooth and seamless. Most wouldn't be able to tell a difference from an OEM car until you push your foot to the floor. A lot of people mistaken high HP vehicles to be undrivable at slow speeds or in traffic etc which can be the case for some but certainly does not apply here. I have 0 complaints on the drivability.

Since ethanol burns at a much faster rate than gasoline and the fuel system is ramped up to move even more of it, yes your MPG will take a hit. On BM3 OTS 93 I was averaging 14-15mpg around the city. I live in a city with a lot of stop and go and very little highway 50mph cruise zones. On E60, with the same driving style I average roughly 10-11mpg. It's not a huge hit but lets be honest, you don't get an X3M if you want high miles per gallon, you get it for the smiles per gallon lol.

All said and done, I highly highly recommend F80Paul for S58 tuning. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Now... for the good stuff

I recorded over a dozen 60-130 times to use and compare each file. Granted, DA changes and some comparisons aren't truly accurate but with a little knowledge you can still get a general understanding for how the car is performing at a given DA. I log and Dragy on the same exact road, at the same exact starting point every single time to try and keep the control as consistent as possible.

The first slip is on the base E60 file, each slip following it was a revision. For the sake of this thread I wont upload them all but you can clearly see the progression in power. Keep in mind the DA does change so just because a time might get slightly slower, it's likely due to the increasing DA. The very last slip was from this past weekend at Great Lakes Dragaway. LOOK AT THAT DA!

I knew these cars would get fast but I never expected to be running mid to low 7s 60-130s in the middle of summer with no additional cooling... I am beyond satisfied with the performance of this car.

Here are a few more metrics from my fastest recorded Dragy runs. I'm still getting used to launching this car so I have no doubts I'll be able to improve upon them. It's very obvious in the 60' that this car will go low 10s if I can get the launch dialed into the 1.6s

That wraps it up for this post. I will continue to update my build thread as the car goes faster. Hopefully I was able to address any curious owners out there that have been on the fence about tuning or anything along the way.

Cheers!
Woah! You and I are like brothers from other sides of the world!

A huge factor in me getting an X3M was the ability to tune it, and I also had Paul Johnson do a custom tune for me (E70) after lots of research.

I've managed a best of 10.57 with a 2.75 0-60 here in Australia.
Your car looks to have a touch more power than mine, as your 1/4 mile is a bit faster, your 60-130 has a decent gap on mine.

Great data and very impressive results you've achieved.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
Woah! You and I are like brothers from other sides of the world!

A huge factor in me getting an X3M was the ability to tune it, and I also had Paul Johnson do a custom tune for me (E70) after lots of research.

I've managed a best of 10.57 with a 2.75 0-60 here in Australia.
Your car looks to have a touch more power than mine, as your 1/4 mile is a bit faster, your 60-130 has a decent gap on mine.

Great data and very impressive results you've achieved.
Thanks Ben! I am very pleased with the results.

The only thing that changed was on the last run (at the drag strip) I installed a new wheel and tire setup and pulled the seats for the day. BC Forged 21's with 265/295 tires.

However, the 1/4 mile run and all other times was done on the stock wheel and tire setup full weight.

The only difference I can see would be me E60 and you E70. Maybe that much fuel is dialing back boost a little bit. Paul recommended E60 so I didn't bother going higher. Maybe shoot him a message and logs and see if there is any additional room to adjust or try E60?

Last edited by BrockDM; 05-18-2022 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #7
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Very, VERY impressive!!! Great write up as well... Congrats on a smokin' fast Car! That's head and shoulders faster than me. The trap in the 1/4 is very impressive to me, because it shows the car is making power for sure.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #8
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
Very, VERY impressive!!! Great write up as well... Congrats on a smokin' fast Car! That's head and shoulders faster than me. The trap in the 1/4 is very impressive to me, because it shows the car is making power for sure.
Thanks dude! I'm waiting for a cool day to see if I can get close to the current record. It's been hot and humid by me so it may be a little while until we get a cold front ha. I am quite surprised how good the stock cooling is on these cars tho! Coming from an air to air setup on my Audi I would never see these trap speeds in the middle of the summer.
      05-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #9
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks dude! I'm waiting for a cool day to see if I can get close to the current record. It's been hot and humid by me so it may be a little while until we get a cold front ha. I am quite surprised how good the stock cooling is on these cars tho! Coming from an air to air setup on my Audi I would never see these trap speeds in the middle of the summer.
I for sure will be keeping track of this thread... I hope you break the record! I love how these things respond to super simple mods/tunes. I know without a doubt the tune and tuner are paramount... I moved from the OTS E-30 BM3 to a custom E-50 map, and I still don't have it dialed in yet.

I'm kinda shifting gears to my new (to me) lil M2C from this car because it's my wife's daily and I don't want to tear it up. But MAN, seeing your results makes me want to go back and finish what I started.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #10
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
I for sure will be keeping track of this thread... I hope you break the record! I love how these things respond to super simple mods/tunes. I know without a doubt the tune and tuner are paramount... I moved from the OTS E-30 BM3 to a custom E-50 map, and I still don't have it dialed in yet.

I'm kinda shifting gears to my new (to me) lil M2C from this car because it's my wife's daily and I don't want to tear it up. But MAN, seeing your results makes me want to go back and finish what I started.
I'll post updates when they come in! They will likely be in my build thread more often then here but I'll try to keep this one updated too.

Congrats on the M2C!
      05-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
F80 Paul (Paul Johnson) Stage 1 E60 ECU Tune ... That wraps it up for this post. I will continue to update my build thread as the car goes faster. Hopefully I was able to address any curious owners out there that have been on the fence about tuning or anything along the way. Cheers!
Some great runs, BrockDM!

If you want any of your data placed in the Spreadsheets just share the slips and details in the 1/4 mile thread (and which Stage - 1 vs 2) and will be happy to prep them. Will make it easier to locate as time goes on and threads get buried.

How much do you think your 1-1/2" lowering contributes to the results? Would seem like it should, but not sure I've seen data on how much improvement one might expect from that aspect alone?
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #12
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll post updates when they come in! They will likely be in my build thread more often then here but I'll try to keep this one updated too.

Congrats on the M2C!
Thank you sir! I’ll for sure check out your build thread as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Some great runs, BrockDM!

If you want any of your data placed in the Spreadsheets just share the slips and details in the 1/4 mile thread (and which Stage - 1 vs 2) and will be happy to prep them. Will make it easier to locate as time goes on and threads get buried.

How much do you think your 1-1/2" lowering contributes to the results? Would seem like it should, but not sure I've seen data on how much improvement one might expect from that aspect alone?
I don't think the ride height would do much of anything. The only advantage from the coilovers would be the damping control. It's beyond my expertise but with the ability to adjust compression and rebound you can really dial in the car to launch hard and keep the tire planted into the track. I don't know enough to set it up for that yet but maybe someday!
      06-22-2022, 07:44 PM   #14
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Lets go Brock!!

Stock Hardware King

Finalizing the STG2 E60+ lets see where we go.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      01-14-2024, 10:52 PM   #15
RyanNewport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 24’ X3MC

Just jumping into forums. Recently purchased. 24’ X3MC. Looking for best suggestions on tuning. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 04:03 AM   #16
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNewport View Post
Just jumping into forums. Recently purchased. 24’ X3MC. Looking for best suggestions on tuning. Any help is greatly appreciated!
BM3 is the most popular on the forums, i'm using MHD which i've used on three other BMW's and both offer OTS maps that'll get these into the high tens on ethanol. Both offer custom tuning with various tuners also that'll push that needle even further like into the mid to low tens and some have run 9's in the quarter with a custom tune on E50ish. There's also Burger piggyback which is a very good piggy back that is quite an impressive unit, i've used it on a BMW before and i'm seeing low 10 high 9's on the M4 G series with port... so there's that... GLWD
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 09:48 AM   #17
RyanNewport
Registered
Rep

I’ve read in a few areas something being different about tuning a newer X3m versus a 2020 or older. Is there a difference, if so, what is it? If I’m just looking to run a BM3, is there any difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:55 AM   #18
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I’ve read in a few areas something being different about tuning a newer X3m versus a 2020 or older. Is there a difference, if so, what is it? If I’m just looking to run a BM3, is there any difference?
When tuning an ECU you need to unlock it first. Any vehicle with a build date pre 06/2020 can be OBD unlocked so this is all MY2020 and some MY2021.

Any vehicle that has a post 06/2020 build date, you will need to remove the ECU and ship it to FEMTO to have it unlocked before you can tune the vehicle.
      01-16-2024, 10:01 PM   #19
RyanNewport
Registered
Rep

How long does that typically take? Like how long would I have to go without being able to use the vehicle? And where exactly am I even shipping to? lol sorry, all new territory for me. It may be secondhand language to a lot of people but I’m just getting into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 03:53 AM   #20
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
How long does that typically take? Like how long would I have to go without being able to use the vehicle? And where exactly am I even shipping to? lol sorry, all new territory for me. It may be secondhand language to a lot of people but I’m just getting into it.
A week to week and a half.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:47 AM   #21
Rio93
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

I went with Paul Johnson as well after seeing the success you had and he did not disappoint! 2023 full weight X3M with just intakes, dp, and E50 and the car went 7.1 sec 60-130mph in 300 DA. That was on the first revision. I’m hoping for a high 6 sec
run now that the tune is finalized. Thank you for the extensive review.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      01-29-2024, 08:39 AM   #22
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio93 View Post
I went with Paul Johnson as well after seeing the success you had and he did not disappoint! 2023 full weight X3M with just intakes, dp, and E50 and the car went 7.1 sec 60-130mph in 300 DA. That was on the first revision. I’m hoping for a high 6 sec
run now that the tune is finalized. Thank you for the extensive review.
Awesome! 7.1 on early revisions is ripping. You'll be in the 6s in no time!