BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2020, 12:06 AM   #1
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Louder stock exhaust

Wanted to post before I forgot about it. But an anecdotal experience for making a louder stock exhaust. Right after taking delivery of my X4MC I did the trick of keeping my valves open. Put the car it sport +. Drove around. Came home and unplugged the valve controller cable. Car sounded a lot meaner. Especially in comfort. In sport + nominally louder but burbles and pops of course. I thought it sounded great and was very happy to not have to upgrade to an akra, Remus. Fast forward 1 year later. I plugged it back in to get it ready for trade in. Car became quiet as a mouse. Couldnt hear the exhaust at all in comfort. But the more surprising thing is in sport+ I could also barely hear it. Was reasonably quieter. Not sure the effect of the keeping them open in terms of performance ie back pressure and flow, but definitely makes it louder and better sounding across the board.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Smart Fortwo, S1RR

maybe the exhaust flaps are stuck because they were not used...
Appreciate 0