BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
AJA5900
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Tire scare

We have spent most of the year at our house on the NC coast. We are about three hours from a dealer here. So, I drove down to myrtle beach bmw played golf with a friend spent the night came home. They said I needed new tires but didn't have them (6.5k miles conti of course).

Found a place here that could get the MPS all seasons. Went to get the car and it wouldn't roll. When it did sounded horrible. They claimed the brake froze but that couldn't be it. After talking to a MTT at BMW he thought they somehow they broke something under the car lifting it.

But somehow they put a front tire on a rear wheel and vise versa and installed the tires on the right positions. And the rear wheel was stuck against the shocks. It scratched a sticker on the shock but really scraped the inner wheel. They had to smooth and powder coat the inner wheel but other than that seems ok. Very scary.

First time in three BMWs that I went to someone who wasn't a bmw dealer. And likely the last.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA5900 View Post
We have spent most of the year at our house on the NC coast. We are about three hours from a dealer here. So, I drove down to myrtle beach bmw played golf with a friend spent the night came home. They said I needed new tires but didn't have them (6.5k miles conti of course).

Found a place here that could get the MPS all seasons. Went to get the car and it wouldn't roll. When it did sounded horrible. They claimed the brake froze but that couldn't be it. After talking to a MTT at BMW he thought they somehow they broke something under the car lifting it.

But somehow they put a front tire on a rear wheel and vise versa and installed the tires on the right positions. And the rear wheel was stuck against the shocks. It scratched a sticker on the shock but really scraped the inner wheel. They had to smooth and powder coat the inner wheel but other than that seems ok. Very scary.

First time in three BMWs that I went to someone who wasn't a bmw dealer. And likely the last.
That's no bueno. Will your dealer install tires that are not BMW star tires? My dealer will not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
AJA5900
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Quote:

That's no bueno. Will your dealer install tires that are not BMW star tires? My dealer will not.
They dealer didn't have the tire and couldn't get them for days. I didn't want to drive 6 hrs for tire that anyone should be able to do. I got the same tires I would have bought from bmw. They just mixed up the wheels on install so the car was stuck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
They dealer didn't have the tire and couldn't get them for days. I didn't want to drive 6 hrs for tire that anyone should be able to do. I got the same tires I would have bought from bmw. They just mixed up the wheels on install so the car was stuck.
No, I understand. My question was a bit off topic. One time an Audi dealer flipped two of my tires so that the "inside" was outside and "outside" was inside. They all make mistakes.
Appreciate 1
AJA590061.50
      10-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

That's crazy and pretty negligent. Sorry you went through that!
Appreciate 1
AJA590061.50
      10-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
itsmabs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, A6 allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Quote:
No, I understand. My question was a bit off topic. One time an Audi dealer flipped two of my tires so that the "inside" was outside and "outside" was inside. They all make mistakes.
Had a similar issue at a audi dealership, they put winter directional tires on, but in the wrong direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmabs View Post
Had a similar issue at a audi dealership, they put winter directional tires on, but in the wrong direction.
That seems like an easy mistake, but if you change tires and it will no longer roll...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Don't hold faith with a dealer to fit the right tyres my X3MC went into my BMW Dealer to have some work done informed me I needed a new tyre they fitted a different tyre to the other 3. Stood out once I looked at the car from the back as it was a completely different tread pattern. It was not even a tyre that BMW fit to the X3MC.

Not as bad as your experience OP that was terrible and should never have happened.
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      10-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
itsmabs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, A6 allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:
That seems like an easy mistake, but if you change tires and it will no longer roll...
No longer roll? There are arrows on the tires to tell you which direction to place them, getting that wrong is just negligence. But shame on me for not double checking at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Easily overcome, but you're left with only 1 forward gear but 8 in reverse.
      10-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #11
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
No longer roll? There are arrows on the tires to tell you which direction to place them, getting that wrong is just negligence. But shame on me for not double checking at the dealership.
It’s a shame that you have to check the dealers work. When you go to a dealer and pay their ridiculously high prices their work should be flawless.

Installing in the wrong rotation is negligent, but with the OP it sounded like it would not roll properly. That says they don’t even care about the safety of the customer which is worse IMO.

The shoddy work by mechanics and contractors are why I became a DIYer.
Appreciate 0