BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

Slight vibration in floor / dead pedal when driving

Hello all,

It might be the case that I became too exact to things happening in my car, but since a couple of days I feel a very slight vibration in the dead pedal when driving the car. Does not happen when standing still or car is being parked.

Imagine you just drive down the road, gas pedal pressed to hold the speed or accelerating from a stop. It is like the sound of the engine or exhaust leads to these vibrations in the dead pedal. Seems to be more noticeable in sport mode, but is for sure happening in comfort mode, too. After longer trips it feels like the foot falls asleep - it is just the feeling, the foot does not fall asleep for real.

I test drove the VW of my wife and felt similar vibrations, but not that noticeable as it is in my M40i and caused more by road conditions than the actual engine.

Could you try to pay some attention to your dead pedal foot during your next drive and tell me, whether you feel something similar, too, and it is just normal behavior?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

No similar vibration here; check tire balance.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:59 AM   #3
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Hmm. Thanks. Anyone else? Just want to get a feeling.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

If no steering wheel vibration it could be a rear wheel out of balance
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post
If no steering wheel vibration it could be a rear wheel out of balance
it is kind of related to engine speed and engine volume. at least that is what I am feeling.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Tracking
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraxy View Post
it is kind of related to engine speed and engine volume. at least that is what I am feeling.
If only when in motion it must be balancing, a bearing or tracking/bushing surely ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Ok. So as it seems i am not paranoid then, i will have it booked into the Shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #9
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

I did another test. The vibration is different in different engine speeds / gears. Also it feels different in Sport and Comfort. Can this also happen by wrong alignment of rear tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

So it happens in following conditions:
- dependent on engine speed
- dependent on engine volume (sport vs comfort)
- happens more when driving (force on the engine?), harder to reproduce when parked and revving the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #11
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

I'd consider tire balance or torque tube.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:43 AM   #12
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Just to update you. Was not tires and not the wheels or bearings. Still searching for it.

Definately more vibration in Sport than in comfort. Open exhaust flaps.

No noise when it vibrates. Just feeling it in the feets.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #13
NKBMWX3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Mazda 3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraxy View Post
Just to update you. Was not tires and not the wheels or bearings. Still searching for it.

Definately more vibration in Sport than in comfort. Open exhaust flaps.

No noise when it vibrates. Just feeling it in the feets.
Hi

I can confirm that I get the same thing. Have not tried other modes though but I get the vibrations at above 80km/hr. I believe it might be my wheel balancing and was thinking about booking it in.

Do you guys usually take it back to the dealer for wheel balance or a normal tyre shop is sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #14
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKBMWX3 View Post
Hi

I can confirm that I get the same thing. Have not tried other modes though but I get the vibrations at above 80km/hr. I believe it might be my wheel balancing and was thinking about booking it in.

Do you guys usually take it back to the dealer for wheel balance or a normal tyre shop is sufficient?
For me it is worst at about 2100 and 2600 rpm. Seems like a resonating thing from exhaust or engine. It is worse in driving than in park. Probably due to the additional work the engine has to when in drive.

I hope this is normal :P
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #15
Joe_brock_jr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Had the same issue! Vibration felt through the steering wheel as well! First trip in to the dealer, they replaced the engine mounts...said it was fixed...NOPE! Second trip in they changed out the transfer case...said it was fixed...NOPE...last option they changed out the axles...said it was fixed...MAYBE. I ended up deploying before the last fix was made, but my girl was driving the car two days later and received a drive train malfunction alert and took the car back. Whatever they did, there hasnt been any problems since.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
NKBMWX3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Mazda 3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_brock_jr View Post
Had the same issue! Vibration felt through the steering wheel as well! First trip in to the dealer, they replaced the engine mounts...said it was fixed...NOPE! Second trip in they changed out the transfer case...said it was fixed...NOPE...last option they changed out the axles...said it was fixed...MAYBE. I ended up deploying before the last fix was made, but my girl was driving the car two days later and received a drive train malfunction alert and took the car back. Whatever they did, there hasnt been any problems since.
Hi Joe
Seems like a major fault in a relatively new car. I am guessing you were getting those vibrations when the vehicle was parked as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:04 AM   #17
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Was is like a tickle feeling or real Vibrations? Any noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:04 AM   #18
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Is the vibration throttle sensitive, and happens around 2.5k rpm, and worst around 55mph ?

If so there's a whole thread about it, search for 'steering wheel vibration'

Short version - no fix, many ppl had rear drive shafts replaced with varying degrees of success.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:05 AM   #19
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

Do you know what they did to fix the issue ? I've been dealing with the dealer and BMW NA on and off for months to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:30 AM   #20
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraken View Post
Is the vibration throttle sensitive, and happens around 2.5k rpm, and worst around 55mph ?

If so there's a whole thread about it, search for 'steering wheel vibration'

Short version - no fix, many ppl had rear drive shafts replaced with varying degrees of success.
It is. 2.6k RPM for me. Worst in low 30kmh and high 130kmh.
Strange for me, I only feel it in the feets. Tickeling vkbration like a foot falls asleep.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #21
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

One more thing again.
How noticable is your vibration. Slight tickeling feeling or are you feet/hands shaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #22
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

NKBMWX3
supraken

Any news from your side?
Was it like a tickle feeling or real vibrations? Any noise?

For steering wheel see here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485010
Appreciate 0