BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2022, 06:16 AM   #1
Yuddy
Rep
Drives: X1 20i M Sport

Is a BMW X3 M40i too much for one person?

The time has come for me to sell my current vehicle and buy a new one, and I am strongly considering the new BMW X3 M40i. My Current vehicle is a 2019 Mercedes A200 AMG-Line, I've had absolutely no end of issues with it, mainly with very poor build quality inside, and software issues.

My partner recently purchased a 2020 BMW X1 20i M Sport xDrive, which is valued currently around about the same price as my A-class, however, the difference between the two is absolutely staggering. The X1 is better in almost every single respect, it's faster, quieter, smoother, irons out bumps and potholes far better, has comfier seats, has significantly more room inside for people and cargo, is higher up with a better viewing position, is xDrive, and although it has iDrive 6 compared to the new Mercedes MBUX system, I personally feel it's better, as although it does less, what it does, it does better, and does it significantly faster too.

Because of how amazing I feel the X1 is, i'm considering an X3 M40i, as this is within my price range, and I've done a lot of research and found that the reviews for this vehicle are very, very good, kind of the Swiss-army car in many respects? However, we have no children, and we already have an SUV in the form of the X1, so would getting an X3 for literally just myself be overkill? The B58 for me is a must-have, as I'm big into my cars, and would love the power it delivers. I'm just concerned that the X3 will just be too big for me alone, should I just go with an M340i Sedan?

The reason I'm swaying towards the X3 is simply for the greater comfort, the raised seating position, and the extra capacity (if I ever need it).

Is this overkill? I'm in two minds, and I get completely different opinions in both directions when asking elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #2
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuddy View Post
The time has come for me to sell my current vehicle and buy a new one, and I am strongly considering the new BMW X3 M40i. My Current vehicle is a 2019 Mercedes A200 AMG-Line, I've had absolutely no end of issues with it, mainly with very poor build quality inside, and software issues.

My partner recently purchased a 2020 BMW X1 20i M Sport xDrive, which is valued currently around about the same price as my A-class, however, the difference between the two is absolutely staggering. The X1 is better in almost every single respect, it's faster, quieter, smoother, irons out bumps and potholes far better, has comfier seats, has significantly more room inside for people and cargo, is higher up with a better viewing position, is xDrive, and although it has iDrive 6 compared to the new Mercedes MBUX system, I personally feel it's better, as although it does less, what it does, it does better, and does it significantly faster too.

Because of how amazing I feel the X1 is, i'm considering an X3 M40i, as this is within my price range, and I've done a lot of research and found that the reviews for this vehicle are very, very good, kind of the Swiss-army car in many respects? However, we have no children, and we already have an SUV in the form of the X1, so would getting an X3 for literally just myself be overkill? The B58 for me is a must-have, as I'm big into my cars, and would love the power it delivers. I'm just concerned that the X3 will just be too big for me alone, should I just go with an M340i Sedan?

The reason I'm swaying towards the X3 is simply for the greater comfort, the raised seating position, and the extra capacity (if I ever need it).

Is this overkill? I'm in two minds, and I get completely different opinions in both directions when asking elsewhere.
It’s not really that big, and the only downside apart the current prices/poor finance deals, is high running costs due to lower mpg and annual road tax (assuming not a lease).

If you are ok with all of that then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
lordcho
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I came from an F20 M140i and I was extremely hesitant with the larger platform.

2 months in - I can forgive (and mostly forgotten) all of the "cons". It won't be as strong as a performer as a smaller/lower ride but the comfort and height really have been life-changing.

There's always plenty of mods to bring back some of the "sedan-ness" if they are essential. TBH I'm wishing I stretched for an X3MC
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 06:55 AM   #4
Yuddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
It’s not really that big, and the only downside apart the current prices/poor finance deals, is high running costs due to lower mpg and annual road tax (assuming not a lease).

If you are ok with all of that then go for it.
Finance-wise I'll be dropping my massively over-priced A-Class as a deposit (around £26k here in the UK), and getting a cash loan elsewhere at 6.9% APR to cover the rest, which actually makes it about £50 a month cheaper finance-wise than my Current A-Class (soon to be paid off)!

I think you're right, I should "go for it" as I know I like it
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 07:00 AM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

You should perhaps test drive the diesel variant also. I'm no diesel banger, but I have one and I found the overall driving profile (in terms of pulling power / overtaking ease etc..) to be better. That said, you don't get as smoooooth an engine but you do perhaps get more distance between fuel-ups.

Oh yeah - had mine three days and nailed it hard (got 130 so far :-|) and it's as quiet as a mouse. The current mpg after hard driving (with moderate in between) is 36.8.
Appreciate 1
avi663484.00
      09-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #6
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Finance-wise I'll be dropping my massively over-priced A-Class as a deposit (around £26k here in the UK), and getting a cash loan elsewhere at 6.9% APR to cover the rest, which actually makes it about £50 a month cheaper finance-wise than my Current A-Class (soon to be paid off)!

I think you're right, I should "go for it" as I know I like it
BMW was offering 2.99% pcp with decent residual. I wanted to edge by bets on large ice values in 4 years time, particularly with all that going on in the world. That way BMW takes the risk not me. That said BMW had raised interest rates to 5.99%, which would have cost me around £4k more just in interest.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
You should perhaps test drive the diesel variant also. I'm no diesel banger, but I have one and I found the overall driving profile (in terms of pulling power / overtaking ease etc..) to be better. That said, you don't get as smoooooth an engine but you do perhaps get more distance between fuel-ups.

Oh yeah - had mine three days and nailed it hard (got 130 so far :-|) and it's as quiet as a mouse. The current mpg after hard driving (with moderate in between) is 36.8.
Same here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #8
TXGrey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuddy View Post
the time has come for me to sell my current vehicle and buy a new one, and i am strongly considering the new bmw x3 m40i. My current vehicle is a 2019 mercedes a200 amg-line, i've had absolutely no end of issues with it, mainly with very poor build quality inside, and software issues.

My partner recently purchased a 2020 bmw x1 20i m sport xdrive, which is valued currently around about the same price as my a-class, however, the difference between the two is absolutely staggering. The x1 is better in almost every single respect, it's faster, quieter, smoother, irons out bumps and potholes far better, has comfier seats, has significantly more room inside for people and cargo, is higher up with a better viewing position, is xdrive, and although it has idrive 6 compared to the new mercedes mbux system, i personally feel it's better, as although it does less, what it does, it does better, and does it significantly faster too.

Because of how amazing i feel the x1 is, i'm considering an x3 m40i, as this is within my price range, and i've done a lot of research and found that the reviews for this vehicle are very, very good, kind of the swiss-army car in many respects? However, we have no children, and we already have an suv in the form of the x1, so would getting an x3 for literally just myself be overkill? The b58 for me is a must-have, as i'm big into my cars, and would love the power it delivers. I'm just concerned that the x3 will just be too big for me alone, should i just go with an m340i sedan?

The reason i'm swaying towards the x3 is simply for the greater comfort, the raised seating position, and the extra capacity (if i ever need it).

Is this overkill? I'm in two minds, and i get completely different opinions in both directions when asking elsewhere.
…x4 M40i… 😬
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler4324.00
      09-20-2022, 07:32 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I have an X3 m40i just for myself... I love it... coming from an M2 Comp... its comfortable, practical and the higher ride is awesome.

I will admit however, it doesn't get the best mpg... so far 18 MPG US mixed use.
      09-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #10
Yuddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have an X3 m40i just for myself... I love it... coming from an M2 Comp... its comfortable, practical and the higher ride is awesome.

I will admit however, it doesn't get the best mpg... so far 18 MPG US mixed use.
The MPG is the only thing that concerns me, however I don't drive as much as I used to, so it shouldn't have as big an impact on me.

It's good to hear from someone that has the X3 M40i as a vehicle to themselves, so many different opinions saying that an SUV is pointless for just 1 person, whereas they may be slightly correct capacity-wise, the raised driving position, and heightened levels of comfort are next to none when driving, which for me, a sedan just cannot compete with.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:

As Spangle says, just consider the 40d as well.
I was a big petrol head, so much so I was spilling out £1,100 a month on a car I drove just 6 miles a day….what a idiot I was.
My mind had a fight with my heart yet again and my mind won this time. Wow am I glad it did. 40d is everything I want or need.
If petrol is your bag then like the others have stated, you can’t go wrong with the X3 and yes it’s a one man’s car
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #12
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i, 2003 330i ZHP

Garage List
2003 330i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 30i xDrive  [10.00]
It's not too much for one person. Forget the fact I have three kids and a wife that travel with me, I'd probably still get the X3.

I just sold a 330i because even though the driving dynamics are way more fun and the fuel economy is slightly better, I'm 6'5" and it's way more comfortable in the X3 sitting and getting in and out.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:43 AM   #13
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
The MPG is the only thing that concerns me, however I don't drive as much as I used to, so it shouldn't have as big an impact on me.
Have you considered the iX3 EV? About the same price as the M40i, and comes fully configured with all the toys. I’ve been driving one for almost a year now. I came to it from high performance Audis and Porsches. I have to say, I am never going back to petrol or diesel. The 0-60 is slightly slower than the M40i, but the midrange acceleration of this EV is phenomenal.

Most of my driving is local, so it is charged at home. Range is 220 miles, so need to charge on long journeys. But it is compatible with the high speed chargers.

WRT your original question, I’m normally in it alone for commuting. It isn’t that big externally. And for weekends away with my partner there is plenty of room internally. And good legroom in the back - very comfortable with 4 adults - this is where the X1 suffers compared to the X3.

I would certainly recommend a test drive in an iX3 before you decide.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #14
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
As Spangle says, just consider the 40d as well.
I was a big petrol head, so much so I was spilling out £1,100 a month on a car I drove just 6 miles a day….what a idiot I was.
My mind had a fight with my heart yet again and my mind won this time. Wow am I glad it did. 40d is everything I want or need.
If petrol is your bag then like the others have stated, you can’t go wrong with the X3 and yes it’s a one man’s car
That 700nm of torque is addictive, especially in the mid range.

This is the older model with less torque but it gives a good idea
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #15
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

I just took delivery on a X3M40i. I have owned about 6 BMW sedans prior to the new SUV.
I chose the X3 because I'm tall and it was getting tougher getting into and out of the small sedan.
I'm so pleased with the X3. Smooth and supple ride, quiet, good road feel and steering response are high points. Still breaking it in, but trust it has more than enough power.
I drive it alone much of the time. Feels like the right choice for an everyday vehicle.
Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #16
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Not overkill. But you'll have many years of SUV driving ahead of you if you have kids, so if you have any inclination of owning a low slung coupe or sport sedan do it now as it'll be much harder to go back later. The x3 M40i is known for having a pretty stiff ride, so you wouldn't be trading off much on comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #17
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:

+1...If I could get the B57 in the states, I would be all over it like a bee on honey
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #18
cwbrow2
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5x40i Skyscraper Grey

I'm on my second X3M40i, previously had a 2019. I am the only driver, my wife has a 22 X1. I do haul large cases of equipment every now and then but I purchased the M40i mainly for the performance. A plus is I can carry my dogs comfortably when needed and there's plenty of space for road trips. I've said it before, I believe the M40i is the best bang for your buck performance SUV/SAV.
The X1 is also great, and my wife loves it. She does want more power though as she loves they way mine drives (power). If you want/can wait, the rumored X1 M35? might be a good middle ground. Not sure if/when it will be coming out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #19
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I came from an M240i convertible ... I didn't need the X3 M40i but just wanted it. Better build, more comfortable and a great raised driving position.

Go for it ! I have had mine over 3 years and still love it !! (I still don't need it btw )
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #20
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Get the X4M40i! Same platform as the X3, just less room and more sporty to look at!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #21
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
I went from a 335d to the X3. The reasons were twofold: (1) although I loved the 335d, it was at 100k and I wasn't keen on potential future problems, and (2) I wanted something that was better for mild off-road use and possible sleeping in, neither of which the 335d would accommodate very well. So it seems that the key question might be "what are your use cases?"
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #22
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Depends

Can't resist commenting but here goes: The driving dynamics are substantially different in an X3M40i than in the Merc 200 "AMG line". As you already know, the The AMG line is more of a cosmetic package offered on the Merc with no changes to handling or ride. The X3M40i, while not a real M car, does update the handling specifications to the sporting side and will, by nature, include a harsher ride than a non M40i model and certainly the Merc 200. DO test drive the X3M40i under various road conditions. On my visits to the UK in the past, I do recall, except for the M25, you have some challenging secondary roads. I don't find the X3M40i harsh at all but I live in a city full of nice roads. So DO test drive the xM340i in its various driving modes (comfort, sport, sport plus) and with the tire size you'll be buying. The standard 19" size will ride slightly more comfortable but if you're looking at 20"/21" tire/wheel combos you'll certainly want to have a feel. B58? No doubt a gem of an engine but you can only get it in the M40i model. So if maximum comfort is an issue, you might consider a X3 base model. Too much size? Depends on what you use your car for. Drive alone? or frequent passengers, pets, cargo etc. Only you know if you need the utility and the higher ride height. Oh, "ride height"? I came from years of lowered sedans and numerous incidents with curb clearance. NO more with an X3 or any sUV for that matter. I only sacrifice handling but for me that's OK. If a compact SUV is still "too much" for you but you have to have the B58, then maybe a 2 series, M240i, in particular if you're a solo-driver. Though it's a sedan rather than a compact suv it's more in line (size wise) with the Merc 200 but will leave it in the dust. Good Luck
Too much car for you? DO test drive the X3M40i. Or, rent one for a couple days..you'll know.