BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #89
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshxdough View Post
You have a trunk button on your driver door panel too you know.

Also it doesn't matter how much your vehicle costs, things will happen to any and all vehicles regardless of how much you paid for it.
Certain things engineers should design to make sure they almost never ever happen. The tailgate automatically opening during a car wash is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #90
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocar View Post
I now washed my car 2 times in a washbox by my self. My whole car was freaking out both times. Mirrors went in and out, trunk opend multiple times, sunroof closed etc.

My key was in my pocket but I was just standing so doubting if this is a problem with the car or strange enough the key in my pocket... One time the trunk opened when I was standing at the front...

So what is your advice? Leave the key in the car while washing it?
Yes, take the key out of your pocket when washing your car or doing anything outside of your car (maintenance, etc.). You can leave it inside the car or just place it somewhere as long as it's not in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #91
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I found out today that even washing the car at the wand wash causes all kinds of issues with doors constantly locking/unlocking and the rear tailgate opening automatically (at least once). I would be very concerned about the tailgate opening in a touchless wash!

I think that the tailgate should also NEVER open when the engine is running because that is a possible safety hazard with carbon monoxide getting inside.

Rob
Try the wash again but this time with the key fob inside the car. Don’t keep the fob with you in your pocket while you are outside washing the car.

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #92
Turbocar
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Try the wash again but this time with the key fob inside the car. Don’t keep the fob with you in your pocket while you are outside washing the car.
Yes that's what I'm going to do the next time when I'm going to wash it. Put it in the drivers seat or so. Hopefully I won't lock myself out...
Let's see in a week or two.

Never had this with my previous 3 cars that had the same options (not BMW).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #93
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Yes that's what I'm going to do the next time when I'm going to wash it. Put it in the drivers seat or so. Hopefully I won't lock myself out...

Get the "My BMW" app onto your smart phone. It has a door lock/unlock function. You know, just in case ...

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 10:36 PM   #94
SamL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 m40i

Resolve the issue by placing the fob in a metal case

Dealer tried twice but failed to fix the problem. Dealer hook up battery charger and scanned vehicle but fund no codes. The technician programed vehicle and set tailgate to unlock first and then press tailgate button to open. However, it didn't work. The tailgate still automatically opened when being pressure washed on right site of the vehicle. I had to get it through on my own. I resolved this issue by cutting communication between the fob and the vehicle by placing the fob in a small metal case that the radiation would not reach out. Yes, it works this way.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #95
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post

HoustonEaDo I tend to agree with you that forums will attract more folks who are looking to troubleshoot a problem, but I also feel like this forum attracts a lot of enthusiasts interested in getting the most from their existing car and researching options for their next one. That is why I'm here for example. I still feel like that 30% reported failure rate is probably not too far from the truth.
"Voluntary response sampling is not advantageous or applicable in most studies as it is highly susceptible to bias and yields unreliable results."

https://www.voxco.com/blog/voluntary-response-sample/

While this form attracts many enthusiasts, there are a large number of posts and most readers will focus on topics they deem of interest. Based on articles concerning bias in voluntary surveys, someone experiencing the problem in the survey will have a strong opinion and be far more likely to take time to read a post and respond. If 3 out of 10 owners experienced this problem, I expect there would be a strong push for a recall and Consumer Reports reliability data would reflect the widespread nature. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 04:27 AM   #96
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

I hand was both my 20 X5 and my 21 X3 and you can’t lock the keys in either vehicle. I tried it on purpose. The X5 is set for approach unlock and was driving me crazy with it unlocking and locking until I put the keys on the seat. Two years of hand washing and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #97
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

Re-opening a bit of a dead thread. Is this happening for anyone with a 2022 X3 MY?
      04-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #98
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillymc View Post
Re-opening a bit of a dead thread. Is this happening for anyone with a 2022 X3 MY?
It has happened to me couple of times, but I speculate it is because of the button on the key fob pressed accidentally. I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #99
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunay27 View Post
It has happened to me couple of times, but I speculate it is because of the button on the key fob pressed accidentally. I could be wrong.
Thanks! Will look into coding or at a minimum get some key fob covers. Gives me nightmares thinking of wife parking this walking away with trunk open lol
      06-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #100
Mirage_77
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M Comp

Might have an issue.

I am now going to resurrect this thread. I have a 2023 X3MC. Purchased April 21st, 2023.

I had this happen to me yesterday. Luckily, it was parked outside and not in my garage where it would have been damaged. The tailgate opened within 15 minutes or so prior to me walking outside to the vehicle. I know this because I could see it out my kitchen window before I left and the hatch was not opened. Things to note:
  • I had the kick to open/close selected on my profile.
  • The key fob was set to unlock all doors when pressed.
  • It had been raining.
  • Unknown if it is coincidental, but I just got my X3MC serviced the day prior for its 1200 brake in maintenance.
After reading up on this I immediately turned off the kick to open/closed feature and set the key fob tailgate button to only lock when pressed. Just in case the issue happened because the sensor was wet from the rain and/or the tailgate button was pressed in my pocket somehow. I will be pissed if this happens again and damage occurs. I will not tolerate the dealership telling me they cannot replicate the problem and refuse repairs. I am specifically posting this on this thread as documentation that it happened.

My other concern is that this is my third BMW. (I have had a 2020 330i and a 2022 M340i.) All of them have had programing problems with features being not selected and still working. For example, sometimes the mirrors will fold in when I specifically have the option not selected. When it happens and I check the settings, it shows as selected. This just happened when the tailgate issued occurred on my X3MC. I will be very upset if the tailgate features I disabled, re-able themselves magically like with the mirrors and cause this issue to happen again!

Rant over with... for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:36 PM   #101
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_77 View Post
I am now going to resurrect this thread. I have a 2023 X3MC. Purchased April 21st, 2023.

I had this happen to me yesterday. Luckily, it was parked outside and not in my garage where it would have been damaged. The tailgate opened within 15 minutes or so prior to me walking outside to the vehicle. I know this because I could see it out my kitchen window before I left and the hatch was not opened. Things to note:
  • I had the kick to open/close selected on my profile.
  • The key fob was set to unlock all doors when pressed.
  • It had been raining.
  • Unknown if it is coincidental, but I just got my X3MC serviced the day prior for its 1200 brake in maintenance.
After reading up on this I immediately turned off the kick to open/closed feature and set the key fob tailgate button to only lock when pressed. Just in case the issue happened because the sensor was wet from the rain and/or the tailgate button was pressed in my pocket somehow. I will be pissed if this happens again and damage occurs. I will not tolerate the dealership telling me they cannot replicate the problem and refuse repairs. I am specifically posting this on this thread as documentation that it happened.

My other concern is that this is my third BMW. (I have had a 2020 330i and a 2022 M340i.) All of them have had programing problems with features being not selected and still working. For example, sometimes the mirrors will fold in when I specifically have the option not selected. When it happens and I check the settings, it shows as selected. This just happened when the tailgate issued occurred on my X3MC. I will be very upset if the tailgate features I disabled, re-able themselves magically like with the mirrors and cause this issue to happen again!

Rant over with... for now.
Yikes, that sucks. I wonder if they did a software update and that selected the folding mirrors and something else related to the tailgate??
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:18 PM   #102
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

I had this issue too and when I asked the dealer about it on my 2020, they said they had a fix. The paperwork says SI B51 30 16 and they did the software. Has been good since.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 12:13 PM   #103
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
It happened to me when I first got MY18 multiple times , opening and not knowing.The car was a CPO and it obviously happened previously because when I bought it, there was damage to the tailgate that the dealership repaired without a problem.I got BimmerCode and coded it to only open when unlocked and I have to do a long press on the fob for the tailgate of more then 5 seconds . Has never happened again since I coded it . I also keep my fob on the drivers seat while washing because the water hitting the door handles or kick to open would open the tailgate and lock and unlock the doors with the fob in my pocket .
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:31 AM   #104
ArcSecond
n00b
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i

Welp, this just happened twice while my 21 x3 was in the garage. First time it has happened. I'm hoping I just sat on the keys wrong and it opened that way, but since this seems to be an issue I'm not confident that's the case...
Appreciate 0