BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

Recent iPhone Bluetooth Media issues?

Over the past weekend (not sure if my iPhone updated automatically or not), I noticed a problem with my iPhone BT connection to my 2014 x3. the issue is that bluetooth is connected for audio, but media doesn't work. Under Media menu, it says that there is no bluetooth connected, but when I go to my bluetooth connections, it says that my iphone is connected.

I tested this out by calling out as well. The phone function works, but the Media connection isn't recognized.

I've tried troubleshooting this by completely removing the phone connection, and readding it. This is happening to multipe iPhones. I've ensured that my phone is setup for both phone and media, and have also updated the software to the most up to date version of iDrive.

I've had this happen before, and apparently it may just be an Apple - BMW thing. I'm not sure of a better fix besides just hoping that the next iOS update comes out and resolves the connection. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
bubbleboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I have a similar issue. I started using the USB cable in the center console instead bc it was such a pain.

Any idea if BMW has an idrive update to fix iphone->idrive bluetooth connections?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
BMW is not going to fix it, esp for an older vehicle. Apple broke it, either they fix it or they don't
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
joshaguirre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i F25

I have the same issue happen with my iPhone sometimes. iPhone shows it's connected to my 2016 X3 but I can't select it as a media source on idrive. It doesn't matter that much to me because I don't like how the connection speed is slower when it comes to transmitting album artwork and song list data. I have also, at times, heard the audio quality change back and forth.

Use a USB cord if possible, you will get a much more seamless experience.
Appreciate 0