BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #353
rcsummers
OG e46
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3 | ‘16 Golf R | ‘04 M3

I finally de-badged the trunk, still need to do the doors.

Put some lamin-x on the fog lights, still need to do the rear taillights.

And I have spacers sitting around waiting to go on as well.
Attached Images

@summers_7R_M3
Appreciate 1
Wgosma809.00
      04-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #354
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
I finally de-badged the trunk, still need to do the doors.

Put some lamin-x on the fog lights, still need to do the rear taillights.

And I have spacers sitting around waiting to go on as well.
Clean!!
      04-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #355
rcsummers
OG e46
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3 | ‘16 Golf R | ‘04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Clean!!
thank you, im shooting for a clean OEM+ look on this thing.

@summers_7R_M3
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #356
gomichigan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

rcsummers looks good! do you have a full back shot of the trunk? I also have the same colour M Sport and considering debadging mine.
      04-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #357
Rdavenport89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
Retrofitted rear halogen tail light to led.
What was you process for doing this? Were the new lights just plug and play, or did it require coding or new wiring?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #358
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Clean!!
thank you, im shooting for a clean OEM+ look on this thing.
very nice, love the clean uncluttered look!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #359
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavenport89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
Retrofitted rear halogen tail light to led.
What was you process for doing this? Were the new lights just plug and play, or did it require coding or new wiring?
I posted a retrofit guide on this you can check it out in my post.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #360
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Finally got the mirrors to fold with a long press, missed the 2nd step in Bimmercode the firs time around. Coded turn signal indicators in the HUD and ordered a Weathertech cargo mat.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #361
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

hey guys, I know this isnt the right thread to discuss charge pipes, but I figured.... tons of views and eyes in here, and would prob give me the best responses

I was watching that youtube vid of Kie's doing a chargepipe install on a 535i. Our layouts are similar ISH , they do share the same intakes as F25/n55 people have

I noticed in our engine bay, there is a ton of stuff above our charge pipe.... that said ... will this CP install require me go attack from underneath?

If anyone has a sweet how go / guide / vid .... link me please! (I tried to search and failed)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #362
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

update:

pulled up the CP on newtis and it does appear, I have to go under car.... oh joy

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ation/EVkKLSul

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #363
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
update:

pulled up the CP on newtis and it does appear, I have to go under car.... oh joy

I'm missing something....why are people changing this?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #364
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I'm missing something....why are people changing this?
The plastic charge pipes get brittle over time/heat cycles and have been known to fail. No real damage to the engine, you just lose power until its fixed. So some choose to replace them before they fail...either with a new OEM part or a metal charge pipe available from a few different makers. Some say you get a slight increase in power from the metal charge pipes as well.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #365
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
update:
Well if you have to go under the car, if you haven't done it already, now is a good time to change the EPS thrust piece with the updated one to remove play inside the steering rack

Steering Repair kit 32106891974
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #366
EricD735i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 328d & ‘16 X3 28d

Finished the brake fluid flush and replaced the tension arms. Getting the ball joint end off is a PITA, ended up borrowing a “light truck Pittman arm puller” from Autozone that worked. Bushings were pretty toast.

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #367
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD735i View Post
Finished the brake fluid flush and replaced the tension arms. Getting the ball joint end off is a PITA, ended up borrowing a “light truck Pittman arm puller” from Autozone that worked. Bushings were pretty toast.
Baaaahhh, those are good for a hundred thousand more miles....this is trashed

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #368
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD735i View Post

Mileage?
      05-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #369
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
The plastic charge pipes get brittle over time/heat cycles and have been known to fail. No real damage to the engine, you just lose power until its fixed. So some choose to replace them before they fail...either with a new OEM part or a metal charge pipe available from a few different makers. Some say you get a slight increase in power from the metal charge pipes as well.
thanks najnad , couldnt have said it better myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Well if you have to go under the car, if you haven't done it already, now is a good time to change the EPS thrust piece with the updated one to remove play inside the steering rack

took a brief look at the newtis .... the fact that the steps tell me to watch a "training video" ... makes me really really scared to attempt this one

Okay guys, so I intended to do my chargepipe and boost pipe all on Sat. Things did not go as smooth as expected. And the process drained me so much (mostly mentally) that I had to stay away on Sunday, before I do something I regret

As I did with my detailing posts, I'll break this up into small and easy to manage portions.

Step 1: removed the intake ( Marty in NY looks like you got your wish, the intake is off, lol)

Step 2: remove the under tray

things are going just absolutely smooth ... I'm thinking to myself "this is gonna be great, I'll be done in an hour and should be ready for dinner and even have time for a beer and a shower"

oh if I only I had a time machine, so I can go back in time and laugh at myself ...

... to be continued ...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #370
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I looked at the steps outlined in manual and watched a few youtube vids and initial impressions about doing it myself were along the lines of "this is going to be so easy"

Looking down from the drivers side headlights, I notice a bunch of extra stuff in the way ... youtube must have left this part out of the video ...

By the looks of things, an F25 xdrive35i chargepipe install is more difficult compared to others. Thats too bad. Onward!

(next steps are straight forward)

The newtis steps call for "Pull charge air duct out of rubber grommet (4)". I did this with 1 hand tugging on the pipe, and other hand using a flat head to gently "push" to release what was held on by the rubber grommet

(pic is of grommet, direction pipe slides, and the #2 is just the pipe pushed off to the side)

Link, for those who need it:

... to be continued ...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #371
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Some actual PROGRESS! YAY!

Now to get out the pipe itself, how hard can this part be... lets just say at one point I had to stop, take a 15 min beer break and wipe down my cuts and bruises.

(lots of twisting, and trial and error just to get it this far out)

(2/3 of the way out)

(final orientation before pulling it up and out)

oem compared to whats going in:

the boost pipe side was less eventful, so I wont put much effort into talking about it

... to be continued ... just not sure when I'll muster up the energy to do so ... and our weather is approaching 100 degrees F this week ... eek
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #372
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some actual PROGRESS! YAY!

Now to get out the pipe itself, how hard can this part be... lets just say at one point I had to stop, take a 15 min beer break and wipe down my cuts and bruises.

(lots of twisting, and trial and error just to get it this far out)

(2/3 of the way out)

(final orientation before pulling it up and out)

oem compared to whats going in:

the boost pipe side was less eventful, so I wont put much effort into talking about it
... to be continued ... just not sure when I'll muster up the energy to do so ... and our weather is approaching 100 degrees F this week ... eek
The fact that you are stopping to take the time to take pix along the way is commendable!! I know when I'm in the middle of doing a job, I think about it but my hands are dirty, greasy, my phone is clean and it just doesn't get done.

So, I see you are just north of Temecula, I've been there visiting a friend, I think it was in late Jan 2018, I loooooved, the weather, the blue sky, how its cool in the morning and the lack of humidity during the day. A realtor still sends me info on new developments that are going up in your area...its tempting.
You need one of those portable A/C units on wheels where you duct the exhaust out a window, you could use it in your garage. BTW, you're pix quality is great!

Last edited by Marty in NY; 05-04-2020 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #373
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
took a brief look at the newtis .... the fact that the steps tell me to watch a "training video" ... makes me really really scared to attempt this one
First, great job documenting the pipe install. I'm sure I'll be going this one day.

Testing for steering rack play:
If you still have the vehicle up in the air, grab the driver side tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and rock it like you're turn left to right back & forth and listen/feel for a knocking sound. If felt/heard, then I'd recommend doing the Steering Repair kit. I've successfully done several of these without all the elaborate specialized measuring tools. I just tighten the adjuster until the play is gone and there's a slight resistance when turning the steering wheel left to right, then back off the adjuster a hair until the resistance is gone.

The new part has been refined with anti-wear material where the original part (white-ish) was too soft and wore out easily, causing play in the steering rack.

Name:  new old part.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  195.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #374
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
First, great job documenting the pipe install. I'm sure I'll be going this one day.

Testing for steering rack play:
If you still have the vehicle up in the air, grab the driver side tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and rock it like you're turn left to right back & forth and listen/feel for a knocking sound. If felt/heard, then I'd recommend doing the Steering Repair kit. I've successfully done several of these without all the elaborate specialized measuring tools. I just tighten the adjuster until the play is gone and there's a slight resistance when turning the steering wheel left to right, then back off the adjuster a hair until the resistance is gone.

The new part has been refined with anti-wear material where the original part (white-ish) was too soft and wore out easily, causing play in the steering rack.

Attachment 2301958
I had steering knock before but it was the steering shaft went bad.
Appreciate 0