BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2024, 01:59 PM   #1
geno
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2018 M3C

X3M software update - Possible or Lock?

Sooo I recently picked up a 2020 F97 and it is by far my newest BMW. I don't love all the electronics but I love it a hell of a lot more than the new new variants. Anyway, I thankfully have the earliest software so I was ECU unlocked and able to tune.

However, the first-generation software is buggy as hell and I'm sure plenty of you have experience the random drivetrain malfunction that requires a restart. I'm wondering if I can update onboard for a number of reasons, one of which is full-screen carplay.

I know I can ESys the "correct" version and reflash but I'm wondering if the BMW option is possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:26 PM   #2
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno View Post
Sooo I recently picked up a 2020 F97 and it is by far my newest BMW. I don't love all the electronics but I love it a hell of a lot more than the new new variants. Anyway, I thankfully have the earliest software so I was ECU unlocked and able to tune.

However, the first-generation software is buggy as hell and I'm sure plenty of you have experience the random drivetrain malfunction that requires a restart. I'm wondering if I can update onboard for a number of reasons, one of which is full-screen carplay.

I know I can ESys the "correct" version and reflash but I'm wondering if the BMW option is possible.
I'm pretty sure the OTA updates started with the LCI or at least the 21 MY, with the iDrive updates.
I can't do it on my 2020 X4MC and am very happy about it, don't want big brother undoing what I've worked hard to do coding wise
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 02:55 PM   #3
Diskz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

You can’t update the i-step version without ISTA so most likely that will require a dealer visit. Having this done will update all the modules in your car that have an update available so it should resolve any of the bugs you’re facing as well as open the ability to enable full screen carplay. In regards to tuning, updating your i-step doesn’t have any effect on this as it won’t lock the bootloader so you’ll still be able to obd flash.

See this thread for more info on figuring out your i-step version and best ways to go about having the dealer update it.
Appreciate 0