BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2022, 08:12 PM   #1
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i Brooklyn/Mocha

Yellow CS DRL’s installed…but not without issues

So after a couple days of working between my kids wake windows and I got some yellow DRL’s installed. Fun part about an X3 LCI? You need to completely remove the headlights to do the install. If I knew, I probably wouldn’t have gone all in. But being halfway done, I proceeded to pull the bumper and pull the lights. Everything was looking great until I used the turn signals for the first time. Boom, low beam failure. Then I tried the high beams, failure there as well and the low beams then turned off.

So, what’s next? The manufacturer is working to determine what the difference is between the OEM and aftermarket circuit board. I’m not sure how many more times I’m willing to try this, but allegedly I’m likely getting new boards possibly.

So, looks are 12/10 for sure, but pulling lights and bumper on a $69k car? Not the most fun, especially when you gotta do it more than once.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Supa-Clean; 11-20-2022 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

looks cool... good job for pioneering this but man that is a lot of work on a new car
      11-20-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
looks cool... good job for pioneering this but man that is a lot of work on a new car
Yea, my patience is thin. I just figured it was one of those things you push though and then you laugh about later. Looks like I’ll be pushing again, and hopefully that’s it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

After i saw this video on F car, i decided against the same on G. Wish would have been simpler as in the days of E cars angel eyes.

Appreciate 2
      11-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
borderwave2
Private
Rep
Drives: R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa-Clean View Post
Yea, my patience is thin. I just figured it was one of those things you push though and then you laugh about later. Looks like I’ll be pushing again, and hopefully that’s it.
Supa did you purchase these lights from Aliexpress?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderwave2 View Post
Supa did you purchase these lights from Aliexpress?
Yep, Icedriver is the only seller I’ve seen. Currently working with them now to find a fix. If I had to guess, it’s a difference of US spec vs Euro spec modules, but that’s no more than an educated guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
spaceman12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Yep, Icedriver is the only seller I’ve seen. Currently working with them now to find a fix. If I had to guess, it’s a difference of US spec vs Euro spec modules, but that’s no more than an educated guess.
Hey Supa-Clean I have a pre-LCI 2020 X3 M40i and also have Icedriver DRL installed by local shop. After 9 days today while driving I got notification that my right headlight's highbeam and day time running lamp had malfunction. The left seems fine but the right doesn't work anymore. If I try to turn on the low beams or the high beam it turns on for about 1 second and turns off again.

The DRL seems to stay on though but in a low powered state where it is not as bright as the left side. I take it there is just some issue with the icedrivers and when you re-installed the OEM DRLs the low/high beam works again?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 05:18 PM   #8
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman12 View Post
Hey Supa-Clean I have a pre-LCI 2020 X3 M40i and also have Icedriver DRL installed by local shop. After 9 days today while driving I got notification that my right headlight's highbeam and day time running lamp had malfunction. The left seems fine but the right doesn't work anymore. If I try to turn on the low beams or the high beam it turns on for about 1 second and turns off again.

The DRL seems to stay on though but in a low powered state where it is not as bright as the left side. I take it there is just some issue with the icedrivers and when you re-installed the OEM DRLs the low/high beam works again?
I’ve actually gone the nuclear approach and sent my OEM boards to china for review/replication. Could be the stupidest thing I’ve done, but hoping to get it right and for everyone to be saved. Until then, I’m leaving my car dismantled.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #9
spaceman12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’ve actually gone the nuclear approach and sent my OEM boards to china for review/replication. Could be the stupidest thing I’ve done, but hoping to get it right and for everyone to be saved. Until then, I’m leaving my car dismantled.
Oh wow I see. Unfortunately since my car is my primary car, I’ll probably have the oem ones installed and toss the ice drivers.

Interestingly for pre lci we only have 1 board for each side that lights up both drl bars yet we both have the same issue.

Now I just need to find a shop that won’t charge me outrageously for labor. I had many shops decline to do any aftermarket work and the one I ended up using for original install charged me $600 (4hrs at $150/hr) because it took “longer than expected”.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #10
lordcho
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Godspeed to you!

I remember back in 2009 I spent 18 months troubleshooting my FA5 with quad retrofits. It was painful but worth having the power of 4 suns lighting the roads ahead.

These look absolutely baller and on an X3 you’ll be quite unique! Hang in there!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #11
js_orifici
Confused
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Supa-Clean Thanks for being the test subject, these seemed really cool but a pain to diy.

Curious, was the Board layout/pinout relatively similar to the OEM ones when you pulled them out? I tried peeking at the oem part but not too many detailed ones online to compare to your pictures of the aftermarket ones. I don't know if the boards have slightly different components that would be enough to throw it off. For there to be low/high beam errors I'm not sure why the DRLs would affect that. I wonder if it's related to the LCI vs pre-LCI lights being different in behavior.

If the seller doesn't have any input I would order them to try on a pre-lci to see if I ghet similar issues.

You ordered Yellow or RGB?
      12-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #12
spaceman12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_orifici View Post
Supa-Clean Thanks for being the test subject, these seemed really cool but a pain to diy.

Curious, was the Board layout/pinout relatively similar to the OEM ones when you pulled them out? I tried peeking at the oem part but not too many detailed ones online to compare to your pictures of the aftermarket ones. I don't know if the boards have slightly different components that would be enough to throw it off. For there to be low/high beam errors I'm not sure why the DRLs would affect that. I wonder if it's related to the LCI vs pre-LCI lights being different in behavior.

If the seller doesn't have any input I would order them to try on a pre-lci to see if I ghet similar issues.

Not sure if you saw my posts above but I have pre-LCI and have the exact same isuse.

The boards are similar but they are not the exact same. I have no clue why it throws off lowbeams but I my wild guess would be bmw's systems detecting a non-OEM LED board and turning off the headlight to make you take it in for inspection and replacement with oem board. I got only yellow b/c I didn't want the extra wires for the RGB controller
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 06:55 PM   #13
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_orifici View Post

Yellow only for me. Wasn’t a fan of the RGB look/setup. Boards are different for sure. My guess is that DRL’s have a behavior as high beams come on, whether that’s dimming or turning off, I never looked into it. Would make sense for why it threw an error with a turn signal too.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #14
spaceman12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yellow only for me. Wasn’t a fan of the RGB look/setup. Boards are different for sure. My guess is that DRL’s have a behavior as high beams come on, whether that’s dimming or turning off, I never looked into it. Would make sense for why it threw an error with a turn signal too.
tbh RGB wouldn't be a bad idea only for changing between white and yellow. I found the yellow to be a bit much when low beams aren't on but when low beams are on it looks amazing.

I saw on the M4 CSL the DRLs are white when low beams are not on and turn yellow when low beams are on... best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #15
js_orifici
Confused
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman12 View Post
tbh RGB wouldn't be a bad idea only for changing between white and yellow. I found the yellow to be a bit much when low beams aren't on but when low beams are on it looks amazing.

I saw on the M4 CSL the DRLs are white when low beams are not on and turn yellow when low beams are on... best of both worlds.
yeah I totally missed your post about pre-lci lol. Same boat, RGB just for white

I wonder if this is related to the anti-dazzle decoding the US cars are forced to get optioned. I know that correlates more to the high beam behavior, but that's the only thing I can think of that would affect the lights that's different from non-us cars
      12-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #16
NarcanNinja
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M40i

This makes me nervous haha but my IND motorsport+ yellow modules should be here soon, hopefully the install goes off without a issue.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #17
spaceman12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcanNinja View Post
This makes me nervous haha but my IND motorsport+ yellow modules should be here soon, hopefully the install goes off without a issue.
They make one for X3? Do you have link for it?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #18
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
@spaceman12 ,RGSport also does them, give Ben a message on here. r33_RGSport
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 12:52 PM   #19
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Seems like all of these people have the same suppliers. Would love to see proof of anyone in the US with working yellow DRLs on an LCI. People say the sell them, but no proof of anything actually working as intended.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 08:20 PM   #20
EduardoLG
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i 2023

I saw a video of TJHunt's YouTube Channel were he installed the circuit to turn both headlights DRL yellow, and he succeded. I dont have the link, but it was on a BMW G82. I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #21
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoLG View Post
I saw a video of TJHunt's YouTube Channel were he installed the circuit to turn both headlights DRL yellow, and he succeded. I dont have the link, but it was on a BMW G82. I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Lots of us with G8x’s have them installed with little to no issues.

Looks like a totally different setup for the X3s though.
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
wdeerfield2757.00
      12-13-2022, 05:49 PM   #22
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Lots of us with G8x’s have them installed with little to no issues.

Looks like a totally different setup for the X3s though.
Correct, modules are different, LED boards are totally different as well.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019299.00