BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
Hockeyplayer24
Rep
Drives: X3

20'' rim/tire size for 2024 X3 M40i

Hi everyone,

Going to pick up my new 2024 X3 M40i soon and have to swap out the performance tires for All seasons.

A lot of the websites dont have to specs for the new model since it just came out, but was curious if running

Front - 245/45ZR20
Rear - 275/40ZR20

was still ok? Assuming the specs didnt change from the 2023 model.

I was looking at MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4'S but curious if anyone else had suggestions
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer24 View Post
Hi everyone,

Going to pick up my new 2024 X3 M40i soon and have to swap out the performance tires for All seasons.

A lot of the websites dont have to specs for the new model since it just came out, but was curious if running

Front - 245/45ZR20
Rear - 275/40ZR20

was still ok? Assuming the specs didnt change from the 2023 model.

I was looking at MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4'S but curious if anyone else had suggestions
Your information doesn't include your location, but if you get more than the occasional dusting of snow, most all season tires are incompetent on snow/ice if you don't plan on dedicated winter tires. The issue is not getting going as most people will reply they have no trouble driving around. The problem is stopping and turning where all seasons do poorly if and when needed unexpectedly.

Check out a tire in the All Weather vs All Season category. Look for a snowflake symbol such as:

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tir...-crossclimate2

If none of this applies to your location, you otherwise have chosen a great tire.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
hyde606.50
      08-15-2023, 12:59 PM   #3
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Your information doesn't include your location, but if you get more than the occasional dusting of snow, most all season tires are incompetent on snow/ice if you don't plan on dedicated winter tires. The issue is not getting going as most people will reply they have no trouble driving around. The problem is stopping and turning where all seasons do poorly if and when needed unexpectedly.

Check out a tire in the All Weather vs All Season category. Look for a snowflake symbol such as:

If none of this applies to your location, you otherwise have chosen a great tire.
I had no problems with my Piliot 4s A/S tires last winter in Minnesota, and we even had a top-10 snowfall year. I was very impressed with the performance of the tire and vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippco View Post
I had no problems with my Piliot 4s A/S tires last winter in Minnesota, and we even had a top-10 snowfall year. I was very impressed with the performance of the tire and vehicle.
You reinforced the point I made previously. They can be fine to get the car moving, the least important of the three things a car can do. Luckily for you, you didn't have to emergently stop or turn in a space or time where your tires made the difference. For stopping or turning on ice or snow, all seasons are demonstrably inferior and why the All Weather category was created for those who don't switch to winters.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
arRod19811068.00
      08-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #5
Hockeyplayer24
Rep

Quote:

I’m in NY, so mostly wet/snowy winters but nothing crazy the past few years.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:34 PM   #6
Hockeyplayer24
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I’m leaning towards getting those. What set up are you running right now? 19’ or 20’ rims with what size tire?
Appreciate 1
Flippco1199.50
      08-15-2023, 01:47 PM   #7
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I’m leaning towards getting those. What set up are you running right now? 19’ or 20’ rims with what size tire?

I have the 20" staggered set up and just went with stock sizes:

245/45-20 on the front and 275/40-20 on the rear.

Edit: had wrong size on the rear!
Appreciate 1
hyde606.50
      08-15-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You reinforced the point I made previously. They can be fine to get the car moving, the least important of the three things a car can do. Luckily for you, you didn't have to emergently stop or turn in a space or time where your tires made the difference. For stopping or turning on ice or snow, all seasons are demonstrably inferior and why the All Weather category was created for those who don't switch to winters.
The most important thing about driving in snow is DON'T DRIVE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO! I've been around long enough to know when in doubt just slow down and keep your eyes open.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #9
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
What’re you guys talking about…

It snows where you live???

WTF‼️!
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2023, 05:29 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
What’re you guys talking about…

It snows where you live???

WTF‼️!
Used to…35 years in Michigan! Plenty of severe winter experience. Never again🌞
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:37 PM   #11
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

245/45-20 on the front and 245/40-20 on the rear.
Can you run those on a M40i?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:05 PM   #12
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Can you run those on a M40i?
My bad it’s 275 on the rear. I updated my post.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:19 PM   #13
bord342
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

Did you replace the OEM performance tires when switching to the Pilot 4s A/S. I am wondering if having a complete separate set for winter would be worth it? Not sure if keeping the performance set provides any additional benefits as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:48 PM   #14
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bord342 View Post
Did you replace the OEM performance tires when switching to the Pilot 4s A/S. I am wondering if having a complete separate set for winter would be worth it? Not sure if keeping the performance set provides any additional benefits as a daily driver.
I replaced the oem set. I still have them in my garage and thought about switching to them in the summer but never got around to it.
While a dedicated winter set would be ideal in the winter, I wanted a decent all season tire with performance and without the hassle of switching sets.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 02:01 PM   #15
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

245/45-20 on the front and 275/40-20 on the rear.

Edit: had wrong size on the rear!
Hi @Flippco
You went with Pilot 4 A/S, right? Those are supposed to be all-season, did you ever go back to summer tires?

==

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer24 View Post
I’m in NY, so mostly wet/snowy winters but nothing crazy the past few years.

Hockeyplayer24 could you let us know your experience with winter set?

This CROSSCLIMATE2 was recommended multiple times.
I have to verify but I am also on staggered 20" Black rims, which comes with Summer Performance tires 245/45 front and 275/40 rear.
It doesn't look like Cross Climate 2 comes in these sizes.

I don't want to sacrifice performance or stopping distance in the summer, the current tires (Bridgestone Alenza RTF) are very grippy, but I read about the comments in other thread that they should not be used in cold temperatures, and at least 4-5 months of the year in NY is "cold" temperature, honestly. I was thinking of getting winter tires, but do they have horrible traction in the dry weather?
      05-15-2024, 03:54 PM   #16
RDEJR
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X4 M40i

I completely agree that any all season tire does not compare to a dedicated winter tire in snow. That being said, for years I flipped summers and winters - I was partial to Vredesteins for winter and a variety of summer tires. For the last 6+ years however I've run only all seasons (live about 20 miles north of NYC). I've enjoyed the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+

I ordered my X4 M40i with the cheapest 19" wheels knowing I would take them off. Also went with 20" rims, and stayed with 245/45 & 275/40 - looked at going bigger but seemed to be much more choice in rubber with those sizes (and less pricey!) Some reasonably bad pics attached!

I never ran the winter Vreds in warmer weather.

This is just my experience - hope it helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hyde606.50
      05-15-2024, 10:25 PM   #17
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Hi @Flippco
You went with Pilot 4 A/S, right? Those are supposed to be all-season, did you ever go back to summer tires?
I did not, in fact I still have the original runflats that came with the car, I tried selling them the first year but had no takers. I keep thinking maybe I'll put them on in a summer when the Pilots are ready for replacement.

I've liked their performance so far and tread life seems very good (23K miles so far and plenty of tread left). They do ok in winter, a dedicated winter tire would be awesome, but I wanted a set that I could keep on year round.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:57 PM   #18
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not, in fact I still have the original runflats that came with the car, I tried selling them the first year but had no takers. I keep thinking maybe I'll put them on in a summer when the Pilots are ready for replacement.

I've liked their performance so far and tread life seems very good (23K miles so far and plenty of tread left). They do ok in winter, a dedicated winter tire would be awesome, but I wanted a set that I could keep on year round.
You went through North East winter with the summer performance tires that came with staggered 20" setup? Many people said you can't use those in sub-40F temps. The info about them cracking and dangerous performance in snow..?
      05-16-2024, 11:01 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDEJR View Post
I completely agree that any all season tire does not compare to a dedicated winter tire in snow. That being said, for years I flipped summers and winters - I was partial to Vredesteins for winter and a variety of summer tires. For the last 6+ years however I've run only all seasons (live about 20 miles north of NYC). I've enjoyed the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+

I ordered my X4 M40i with the cheapest 19" wheels knowing I would take them off. Also went with 20" rims, and stayed with 245/45 & 275/40 - looked at going bigger but seemed to be much more choice in rubber with those sizes (and less pricey!) Some reasonably bad pics attached!

I never ran the winter Vreds in warmer weather.

This is just my experience - hope it helps.
What kind of rims are those, they don't look like 20s for some reason, and they look wider. I am not familiar with rim sizing so I can't tell what makes them look they way.

So you are running on these year round?

I didn't want to deal with replacing the rims but is it better to keep tires on same rims instead of swapping tires every 6-7 months? I like the black rims that m40i came with and since it's a lease I don't want to invest few grand on rims and tires.
So for now just swapping to winter setup will be sufficient, but I don't think I need snow tires. Just all season that's winter focused would be my ideal tire.
      05-17-2024, 03:44 PM   #20
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You went through North East winter with the summer performance tires that came with staggered 20" setup? Many people said you can't use those in sub-40F temps. The info about them cracking and dangerous performance in snow..?
Oh no, I didn't do that. I did my research and new it was coming with summer tires so I had a set of the Pilot AS4+ (the all season variant) ready to put on. The summer tires were on for less than a day and I haven't sold them yet.
Appreciate 1
hyde606.50
      05-18-2024, 08:05 PM   #21
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh no, I didn't do that. I did my research and new it was coming with summer tires so I had a set of the Pilot AS4+ (the all season variant) ready to put on. The summer tires were on for less than a day and I haven't sold them yet.
Oh thanks, I missed that part. Sorry.
Do you like them. Also do toy have a spare or temp spare?
      05-18-2024, 08:11 PM   #22
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh thanks, I missed that part. Sorry.
Do you like them. Also do toy have a spare or temp spare?
Love then and as a matter in fact I do have a spare which I just put on because I got a nice puncture in it the night before i have a late flight.

Not sure it can be repaired so I may be buying a new set 🤬
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hyde606.50