BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #45
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

if your vehicle judging skills come down to, this one and that one have all of this in common.......... therefore I should spend less. then by all means spend less, be happy, go with god. if you can't tell the difference in back to back test drives then you need to be in the RDX. it's a beautiful car and you should feel proud to drive it. BMW's are not for everyone.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      06-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #46
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

One thing I like about the 2019 Acura RDX and other Japanese competitors is they have made their safety systems standard even on the base model. Toyota, Subaru, Honda, etc are all moving in this direction. I am hoping this will force the German competitors to do the same. It has the potential to save alot of accidents as these safety systems get better.
Appreciate 2
ZHPsedan135.50
      06-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #47
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

RDX - decent (not great) bang for the buck..even the RDX can push $50k...but the styling is a deal breaker for me. The styling direction that Japanese cars are going in these days...I don't get it - that D pillar treatment, light shapes, and overall number of creases...not my thing, and i don't think these designs will age well. I still look at the current RX and shake my head.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #48
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
  • No High Speed Frontal collision system - it stops working above 100km/h (62mph).
    No Evasion Assistance. No Front Cross Traffic alert.
  • No full digital instruments - its analog guages look a bit dated.
  • No LED Strips ambient lighting (looks so good in X3)
  • Poor res rear camera and surround camera which looks awful - the view has thick black seams. BMW has seamless surround views + 3D.
    No Panoramic front/rear cameras.
  • The "True TouchPad" looks difficult to use - they really should have just implemented a touch screen.
  • No Wireless CarPlay (need to take out the phone and plug in)
  • Small HUD
Great points. I need to put together a little mini-review after looking at the new RDX on Friday evening and Saturday mid-day at two different dealerships. Overall amazing vehicle, but nothing better than the X3. Then again, you can't expect it to be better when it's like $8K less for a comparable model. It will sell like hot cakes for people who like that they can get 95% of the European competition's content for 85% of the price.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      06-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #49
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I expect the RDX to sell really well. Its a great value and well engineered. Looks are somewhat subjective. I have test driven the X3 and its very nice but the same as every other BMW these days. The Audi and Mercedes are impressive and I could be happy with either but they are expensive when optioned out. I test drove the new Volvo XC60 and was impressed. It is comfortable and the seats are great. But at different times your life priorities can change and you may find yourself surprising yourself. When I had kids living with me and into sports and a big dog I didn't want a nice car because I didn't want to worry about it. I had a Chevy Suburban and was happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #50
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Posted yesterday:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyP...&v=EDJLrk67m9w
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #51
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
Thanks for posting, but I found this video of little value. I think he should have set some more objective criteria when comparing those cars instead of dwelling on what he considered "weird", etc. Other than getting to see them all at one time and listening to the sound of their engines during acceleration, I did not think the commentary added much. No doubt there will be plenty of other comparos, so we should get many more opportunities to see them again.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #52
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

could have been a good review but he spent so much time with the Audi singing its praises and so little time with the BMA claiming it was an old design but never mentioned how the audi interior is actually older. he said the BMW interior was very linear........go sit in the x3 and take notice of what he was talking about then go sit in the audi and tell me it isn't the same or worse. I give this review "the beans"
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #53
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
I give this review "the beans"
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #54
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
could have been a good review but he spent so much time with the Audi singing its praises and so little time with the BMA claiming it was an old design but never mentioned how the audi interior is actually older. he said the BMW interior was very linear........go sit in the x3 and take notice of what he was talking about then go sit in the audi and tell me it isn't the same or worse. I give this review "the beans"
I didn't watch the video, but that one phrase makes the review invalid.
Audi is the most linear interior design I've seen so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #55
kevinmr
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

I posted this on an Acura site (Acurazine) today.

Original Post from a month or so ago:

I am a long time BMW guy, and "in the market" now for a replacement of my 2015 535. Have looked extensively at at the X3 xDrive 30i and just considering alternatives. A well-equipped ($53k or so MSRP) X3 is $48-49K out the door without considering any rebates/incentives (right now there are only a few available depending on geography...so maybe $1500 or so for someone who qualifies for loyalty etc). That's comparable to an Advance RDX with no discount. Acura has never leased very well, and right now BMW is sort of in the same category (4% APR MF, unsupported RV's).

So, do I go with what I'm familiar with, or take a chance on the new RDX? Not sure. My old MDX had its share of problems, while the last three BMWs have been flawless. But I'm intrigued by the RDX and will take a look at it when it gets to my local dealer. I miss the SH-AWD that was in my MDX...that is definitely something positive about the RDX.

Updated post from today:

After test driving an RDX (Tech - no Advance models on the lot) today I have decided to stick with BMW and get a well-optioned X3.

Financial reason: You can get an X3 for 8-10% off MSRP without much work (I am getting one at 10% off) and then after that there are loyalty ($1500) and other incentives ($500 fleet for my college). So for an X3 with Premium, Convenience, Driving Assistance, Park Distance Control (essentially equivalent in equipment to an Advance excluding upgraded audio) my 36/12 lease payment (including 8.25% taxes) on a $52K MSRP X3 is just $550 versus the $680 that I was quoted today for an Advance. The $680 quote included a $1000 loyalty incentive since I still had my old 2011 MDX...without that, the Advance lease rate would have been $700+ (for a $49k car...which is just insane).

Non-financial reason: The RDX is nice, and while I'm sure the Advance might be a bit better than the Tech (with HUD and upgraded sound), I preferred the "feel" of driving a BMW. I also struggled with the Acura infotainment. It didn't help that the sales guys also struggled with it. They have only had the cars for a short time, and before the test drive we spent five minutes trying to navigate around the system. I don't like the way I'd need to enter addresses on Nav using the touchpad (I prefer the iDrive dial), but I imagine that I'd get used to it. When I looked at all the dials etc on the steering wheel, I also realized that I missed the "simple" BMW look. The RDX drove well, but I didn't really put it through any paces.

Net net - nice car, just not for me. Also, inventory in the Bay Area is really poor. Not many Advances, and my dealer had only one Tech in some horrible looking brown color. Who the heck would want a brown RDX?

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #56
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmr View Post

I am a long time BMW guy, and "in the market" now for a replacement of my 2015 535. Have looked extensively at at the X3 xDrive 30i and just considering alternatives. A well-equipped ($53k or so MSRP) X3 is $48-49K out the door without considering any rebates/incentives (right now there are only a few available depending on geography...so maybe $1500 or so for someone who qualifies for loyalty etc). That's comparable to an Advance RDX with no discount. Acura has never leased very well, and right now BMW is sort of in the same category (4% APR MF, unsupported RV's).

So, do I go with what I'm familiar with, or take a chance on the new RDX? Not sure. My old MDX had its share of problems, while the last three BMWs have been flawless. But I'm intrigued by the RDX and will take a look at it when it gets to my local dealer. I miss the SH-AWD that was in my MDX...that is definitely something positive about the RDX.

Updated post from today:

After test driving an RDX (Tech - no Advance models on the lot) today I have decided to stick with BMW and get a well-optioned X3.

Financial reason: You can get an X3 for 8-10% off MSRP without much work (I am getting one at 10% off) and then after that there are loyalty ($1500) and other incentives ($500 fleet for my college). So for an X3 with Premium, Convenience, Driving Assistance, Park Distance Control (essentially equivalent in equipment to an Advance excluding upgraded audio) my 36/12 lease payment (including 8.25% taxes) on a $52K MSRP X3 is just $550 versus the $680 that I was quoted today for an Advance. The $680 quote included a $1000 loyalty incentive since I still had my old 2011 MDX...without that, the Advance lease rate would have been $700+ (for a $49k car...which is just insane).

Non-financial reason: The RDX is nice, and while I'm sure the Advance might be a bit better than the Tech (with HUD and upgraded sound), I preferred the "feel" of driving a BMW. I also struggled with the Acura infotainment. It didn't help that the sales guys also struggled with it. They have only had the cars for a short time, and before the test drive we spent five minutes trying to navigate around the system. I don't like the way I'd need to enter addresses on Nav using the touchpad (I prefer the iDrive dial), but I imagine that I'd get used to it. When I looked at all the dials etc on the steering wheel, I also realized that I missed the "simple" BMW look. The RDX drove well, but I didn't really put it through any paces.

Net net - nice car, just not for me. Also, inventory in the Bay Area is really poor. Not many Advances, and my dealer had only one Tech in some horrible looking brown color. Who the heck would want a brown RDX?

View post on imgur.com
I don't know if it's just Toronto area or Canada vs US, but I'm shocked that you can easily get 10% off MSRP.
In Toronto area, 5-6% is like the norm. If I push really hard, 6.5 may be doable, but never even close to 7%.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #57
kevinmr
Rep

Southern California is a very good place to buy cars.

My local BMW dealership in the Bay Area (Concord) has their X3's all listed (on the website) at 8% off MSRP....that is their standard price.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #58
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX3DRIVER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmr View Post

Updated post from today:

View post on imgur.com
I don't know if it's just Toronto area or Canada vs US, but I'm shocked that you can easily get 10% off MSRP.
In Toronto area, 5-6% is like the norm. If I push really hard, 6.5 may be doable, but never even close to 7%.
Yeah. I've been reading about people getting 10, even 12%+ off MSRP, and I think I got like 4% off. But I also got a 2.9% MF rate, which equates to lower than what most people are getting. But then again, I'm also doing the balloon finance, which sounds like a reverse version of the security deposit finance...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #59
kevinmr
Rep

Yes...3.144% APR (.00131 MF) is the lowest anyone can get on a standard BMW lease assuming they are eligible/grandfathered to put the maximum 7 MSD's down. That is my MF on the above X3 deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #60
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I know this is a 2018 RDX they are comparing, but I found it to be interesting - mostly due to the lies spewed from this dealership.

https://www.sterlingacura.com/direct...icle-xdrive30i

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the XDrive30i come with these features?

I know my M40i has, and I'm pretty sure the XDrive30i has:
  • Power moon roof
  • Push button start
  • Remote trunk release
  • Towing capacity (way more than the RDX)

As far as comparing the 2019 RDX SH-AWD to the 2018 XDrive30i, I'm pretty sure the RDX is more cost effective, faster, creates more smiles, and is possibly the better vehicle between the two.

Have I driven either of these vehicles? I have not. I jumped in the M40i and never looked back. I am however a long-term Honda/Acura fan and used to have a 2014 RDX AWD.

As far as comparing the new 2019 RDX to an 2018 M40i?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #61
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally test drove it and its a nice ride but so are the others.

So i finally test drove the 2019 RDX Advance among others. I liked it alot, its loaded with features, but I also liked the Audi Q5, Mercedes GLC the BMW X3 30I and Volvo XC 60 I had no problem with the RDX info system though its different. I liked the ride of the Audi Q5, The well rounded nature of the X3 and the Mercedes interior though the model I tested was loaded. Most Mercedes on the lot are packed with expensive options. I am going to test drive the Landrover Velar and the BMW X3 M40i next. So far what I finding is that the 2019 RDX in such demand they are not discounting it at all and they gave me a low amount for my trade in. Its a great value but it would be better with some discount. Around the Boston area you can get a better deal with BMW and perhaps Landrover and Volvo. I think the Velar,and Volvos are beautiful but safer to lease. Audi didnt discount much but gave me a decent price for my trade in. So even though these European cars cost much more they are similar to your final deal. So I think people should get what they like and what deal they can get based on local conditions. Its difficult to choose because they are all really well engineered. All these cars are so nice compared to what was available a few years ago that given a fair deal I would be happy with any of them. Still not sure what I will get.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #62
CHATMAN
X3 M40i, 535d M-Sport, Acura NSX
Rep
Drives: Alpine White/Oyster X3 M40i

We ended up buying the M40i. I have a 91 NSX that I drive everyday with close to 300k miles on the clock. The last time I took it in for service, the hyped up the RDX, and told me they'd contact me for a test drive...well that never happened. My wife's opinion is if they really wanted our business, they would have at least emailed or called. It was still her turn to buy a car when we returned the 535d M-Sport off lease, and she wanted the X3. I conceded, and made sure we got the M40i!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #63
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Errrr, pictures of the NSX please???
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #64
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Acura has improved the interior, however the gear selector is now push button, not sure that matches the sportiness of the vehicle. I would argue the push button shifter is better then what Mercedes did by placing the shifter on the steering column, that would feel like the 80's by comparison.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #65
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

i actually tested x3 m4oi vs RDX vs Q5 vs GLC.

RDX has great seats. Leather much better than Vernasco or whatever BMW called it.
It costs less, about 10K if you compare loaded versions.

Everything else BMW is better.
RDX has horrible brakes - I will never let my wife drive such a thing.
Electronics feels very awkward, non intuitive, response from buttons and pad is slow and inconsistent.

Drives like a school bus.

Seats are great.

Bought M40I loaded and wife is happy. I enjoy it on weekends and it even has some 'm' feeling in moderately heavy precize steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #66
CHATMAN
X3 M40i, 535d M-Sport, Acura NSX
Rep
Drives: Alpine White/Oyster X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Errrr, pictures of the NSX please???
Because I drive it; a lot, I don't have many showroom like photos...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PPLEaWTWwjN4LCst6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Bm1fQ6UdsSKfmk58
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4rEALTeqRMLG61nM9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KcjGty8AMWLcNatV7

Last edited by CHATMAN; 09-19-2018 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Because I couldn't see it as being posted!
Appreciate 2