BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #67
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATMAN View Post
Because I drive it; a lot, I don't have many showroom like photos...

Thank you!
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #68
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

I liked everything I have read/watched about the RDX until I drove the X3 & GLC 300. The interior though just a small evolution in the G01 found to be more sound. I also got a nearly 10% discount (2019) before any rebate or USAA. Though next to each other and in the same ownership group the MB sales mgr wouldn't get anywhere near that on his like optioned GLC. I'm a long time friend of the senior salesman (23 years) at my local Acura dealer and he said the very best he could do would be $1K off the RDX resulting in it costing MORE than the discounted X3 Sdrive30i M Sport which stickered for $54.5K.

I think the average buyer just assumes that Acura is without question less expensive than BMW thus not cross shopping. Acura will sell enough 19 RDX's to probably exceed goals but is still the tweener luxury brand similar to Infiniti.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #69
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcsifl View Post
I liked everything I have read/watched about the RDX until I drove the X3 & GLC 300. The interior though just a small evolution in the G01 found to be more sound. I also got a nearly 10% discount (2019) before any rebate or USAA. Though next to each other and in the same ownership group the MB sales mgr wouldn't get anywhere near that on his like optioned GLC. I'm a long time friend of the senior salesman (23 years) at my local Acura dealer and he said the very best he could do would be $1K off the RDX resulting in it costing MORE than the discounted X3 Sdrive30i M Sport which stickered for $54.5K.

I think the average buyer just assumes that Acura is without question less expensive than BMW thus not cross shopping. Acura will sell enough 19 RDX's to probably exceed goals but is still the tweener luxury brand similar to Infiniti.
I went through almost the exact same experience. Drove the RDX Advance, liked the feature set but not so keen on engine note and low-speed ride; was immediately cautioned they would not discount much at all. Drove the GLC, much more refined, but couldn't get my preferred features at a decent price given the way they package things - actually had reserved a '19 GLC build spot, then canceled after driving the X3 and realizing I could get a better discount on one of the last '18 builds for the feature mix (performance and tech) relative to the GLC.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #70
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

well....after all that I bought another BMW

Well after test driving the Audi Q5, Q7, BMW X3, 330 GT, 340 GT, X5 the Velar, RDX, Mercedes, Volvo v90 XC, Subaru Outback 3.6 etc I ended up buying a BMW 640 IX GT. Why....Well I ended up getting a good deal as it was slightly used and I just liked the power and luxury. It reminds me of my old BMW 740. The dealer is close and the am familiar with BMW's having owned maybe a dozen so far. I looked for another 330 or 340 GT but there weren't many to chose from locally. They are much sportier than the 640 GT I must admit. Some thoughts....The Subaru Outback 3.6 is way better than people give it credit for and might be the best DD of them all. The 6 cylinder is beautifully tuned, the suspension works well and its priced thousands below all the others. I liked the Volvo but the small 4 cylinder seemed strained. They may be the most improved and I loved the seats. The Audi Q5 and Q7 were very nice but common here and no deals to be had, The Velar is super nice but I would be afraid to use it due to the white seat leather and shiny everything inside and feared it would break down. It's bluetooth wouldn't work during the demo and the salesperson seemed like this was normal. The X3 is drives really well but is small inside and the X5 drives big. The new one will be even larger. I preferred the X3 with the small engine as the ride is more comfortable than the X3-40.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #71
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

What next? The Mazda CX-5? LOL!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #72
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
What next? The Mazda CX-5? LOL!!
That would be an excellent choice along with the Honda HRV, the Honda makes gobs of power and it's mind numbing quick!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #73
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well you may laugh but what sets the Subaru Outback 3.6 is that its the only car of the bunch that is a a non-turbo six cylinder. It is thus super responsive, quit, smooth and a pleasure to drive. It feels a bit like a older Lexus RX350 which is not a bad thing. The suspension is a bit softer than the German cars so its comfortable. They added thicker windows and more sound insulation. The car comes will Apple Carplay and Android Android standard and is loaded with safety features. Honestly at$35,000 which is what you can get these cars for it makes it the best value by far of the cars I test drove. It may not be for everyone but its an impressive car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #74
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I am a longtime Subaru fan and have owned five of them (about the same as BMWs). I'd say a key differentiator for the Outback 3.6R is the H6 engine. While their H4 engines have a reputation for being a bit rowdy, the H6 has always been a silky smooth gem. I'd say it rivals the BMW I6 for uniqueness and character. I had a 3.0 H6 in an Outback about 15 years ago, and it was a fantastic engine. Years before I had driven an SVX with one and was impressed there too, but that car was just too weird!

I took a look at the Outback 3.6R in late 2016 when I was contemplating new cars, and two things that jumped out at me were that it felt really narrow and tight inside, and the interior quality, while good, was noticeably below what I'm used to with BMW. Wasn't a fan of the CVT either, but it was better than most. Otherwise it was a great car, and oh, that engine!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #75
noweyout
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I was positive I was going to get the 2019 RDX A Spec but none of the dealers wanted to budge on the pricing. So I went to the BMW dealer and got crazy discounts and mark downs which I didn't expect. It was hard to say no to all that. I'm happy with my decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #76
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Everyone needs to consider what their wants and needs are and how they will use the car they are buying. I use to drive 45,000 miles a year driving to ski areas every weekeend with kids and a dog. I bought a Subaru and put 180,000 miles on it and traded it in in 4 years and got over $10,000 trade-in. A BMW would have been wasted for such use and worth half as much despite costing twice what the Subaru cost new. BMW's are beautifully built German cars but sometimes too nice and costly for the intended use.
Appreciate 0