BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde83 View Post
This isn't a statement of fact..LOL, this is a statement about the way I think it is supposed to work, and my experience over the last 2 days of owning my m40i...

If you do NOT have the option in iDrive checked that says "shut vehicle off upon opening door" or something to that effect, then after you press the start/stop button, and wait a couple seconds to exit, the vehicle should shut off when there is no butts in the driver or passenger seat. However, if you open the door and get out at the same time or too quickly after pressing the start/stop button it sometime does not shut the car off until you lock the door.

However, if you have the option in iDrive checked to shut the car off when the door opens, as long as you hit to start/stop button before opening the door, the car should shut off immediately when the door opens, regardless of if there is a butt in the driver or passenger seat or regardless of if you lock the door.
Let me share my experience -

Before I set the iDrive to 'shut car off upon exit', the radio will continue to play for a short while after I leave the car (i.e. no butt on seat), but eventually shuts off itself, like having a timer of some sort similar to courtesy light delay. I can trigger immediate shut down by locking the car or pressing the power button on radio and they work 100% of time.

After I set the iDrive and turn on 'shut off upon exit', the car will turn off as soon as I open the driver's door provided engine is off, even if I am still sitting on the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #24
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I have the same experience as MechX3M40i
      12-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #25
Sandblaster
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but I can't find the answer in the manual. On my previous generation X3, two presses of the Start/Stop button turned the power off. In this one, that doesn't happen and the power stays on for a while before it shuts off automatically. I have to lock the doors to shut the power off.

How do I shut the power off without locking the doors?
On the i-drive controller press the "Options" button (it's just to the bottom right of the rotary dial). Select "Turn Off Vehicle". This shuts everything down except the overhead & ambient lighting. These lights will extinguish soon after exiting the vehicle. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #26
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but I can't find the answer in the manual. On my previous generation X3, two presses of the Start/Stop button turned the power off. In this one, that doesn't happen and the power stays on for a while before it shuts off automatically. I have to lock the doors to shut the power off.

How do I shut the power off without locking the doors?
On the i-drive controller press the "Options" button (it's just to the bottom right of the rotary dial). Select "Turn Off Vehicle". This shuts everything down except the overhead & ambient lighting. These lights will extinguish soon after exiting the vehicle. Hope this helps.
Just tried that and it worked! Nice find! The option of turning off vehicle only appears after the engine is shut off though. One more alternative to pushing the 'stereo' power button or locking the car.

Having tried all options, I still like locking my cars even when it's stored in my garage. I cannot see any downside of having the car locked, and it's habit-forming that I will never forget doing this when I'm not home.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
Bernie2x
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 (2018) 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
No one should be suggesting this “feature” to anyone who owns this car. It doesn’t work consistently, if at all, most of the time.
It works 100% of the time!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #28
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2x View Post
It works 100% of the time!
Maybe on your car, but not on DigiSage's or mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #29
BimmItUp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80/E46

I just jump out and leave all the infotainment running. It times out eventually since it's never running the next time I drive
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #30
Squirble
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
Maybe on your car, but not on DigiSage's or mine.
It works you just have to do it right. It's just annoying because it doesn't work the same way it does on other vehicles. In other cars that have this feature, it doesn't matter what order you do this in. If the door is opened first and then you cut the car off, the system still shuts down.

It's not about how quickly you open the door after you park. It's about shutting the car off before you open the door. You have to press the start/stop button before you open the door. Once you press the stop/start button, that tells the computer to shut down the next time a door is opened. It doesn't discriminate either. It can be the driver's door or the passenger's door.

The other thing that messes me up sometimes is that I think the car is off when it's not. Since the engine shuts down when you come to a stop it's easy to think that the car is already off when you park. So I just open the door and forget to press the start/stop button.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #31
JaydblU
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

The behavior of the vehicle turning off when opening the door is inconsistent for me but I think I may have figured this out over the last two days. That being said, I may be imagining things.

For those of you experiencing the 'gremlin' where it stays on after you open the drivers door, make sure your foot is NOT on the brake when you open the door to exit the vehicle.

Try it out and let me know!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #32
M3X3Z3
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d G01

@OP, what i do is:

press the Engine on - off button to switch off engine.
Ensure transmission is in P [park]
Press the option button on the iDrive controler.
Select the "Switch off vehicle" menu option [ option is not available if transmission is.not in P]

Once you are used to it, the prccess is quick and works every time.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #33
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

darrylo Thank you!

First, on my E93, it was a long press of the Start/Stop button that turned the car completely off, which wasn't the most intuitive, but still made sense.

Then they changed it to two presses to do so. Progress!

And now the radio button??? It is the least user intuitive place!

Does anyone know why in the world they would make this change and what advantage it could possibly have over the previous method?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #34
Battin4th
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaydblU View Post
The behavior of the vehicle turning off when opening the door is inconsistent for me but I think I may have figured this out over the last two days. That being said, I may be imagining things.

For those of you experiencing the 'gremlin' where it stays on after you open the drivers door, make sure your foot is NOT on the brake when you open the door to exit the vehicle.

Try it out and let me know!
^^ This. I had posted the same thing in another thread. It appears we all may have slightly different experiences and behaviors but having my foot on the brake when opening the door keeps the radio on every time. I will also add that I find this behavior to be a PITA. Along with the auto start stop turning off the car when pulling into the garage. g*d forbid you should come to a full stop for a fraction of a second. I know you can turn it off, but this whole design is the work of an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #35
vlkeeney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 xdrive

Thank goodness for the knowledgeable people here!!

A few days ago I went out into my garage for something and noticed that ALL the lights were ON in my car (2020 x3) - which I had NOT driven in days! I tried to turn it off but until I retrieved the key from the house, started the car, turned it off and opened the door was I able to turn everything off - CRAZY! My previous (2017) x3 was a simple press of the on/off one more time to turn everything off. I called the 'genius' line and was told there was NO WAY to turn everything off like in past year's cars. THANK YOU to this website for the answer - you have made my day! Why is it that the genius line doesn't even know this information??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #36
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlkeeney View Post
A few days ago I went out into my garage for something and noticed that ALL the lights were ON in my car (2020 x3) - which I had NOT driven in days! I tried to turn it off but until I retrieved the key from the house, started the car, turned it off and opened the door was I able to turn everything off - CRAZY! My previous (2017) x3 was a simple press of the on/off one more time to turn everything off. I called the 'genius' line and was told there was NO WAY to turn everything off like in past year's cars. THANK YOU to this website for the answer - you have made my day! Why is it that the genius line doesn't even know this information??
I thought it would still auto shut off after some point on its own?

The lights were still on after A FEW DAYS??? Are you sure? That can't be right...

A few hours maybe, but after a few days, your battery would be totally dead. Someone else must have gone into the car before you went to it. That is the only plausible explanation IMO.

Last edited by Lotus99; 01-09-2020 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #37
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlkeeney View Post
I thought it would still auto shut off after some point on its own. The lights were still on after A FEW DAYS??? Are you sure? That can't be right...

A few hours maybe, but after a few days, your battery would be totally dead. Someone else must have gone into the car before you went to it. That is the only plausible explanation IMO.
+1, can't be possible for all the lights to have been on for a few days any not get a dead battery. Seems like someone either went into the vehicle shortly before you or had at least pressed the unlock button on the key fob on accident shortly before.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0