BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

30d M Sport Ordered

Having owned my current X3 for 4 years, I've been thinking about changing it for a while. The original plan was to wait for the next model, but it looks like that's not going to be available for a while, so I started to look at the deals available for the existing version.

It seems in the UK that things are much more competitive now, so dealers are keen to negotiate to get a deal. After many phone calls to see what was on offer, I've placed an order to replace my current 20d M Sport manual in Sapphire Black with a 30d M Sport Auto with the following spec:

Space Grey with Oyster Leather
Anthracite Wood Trim
Interior Comfort Pack (electric seats, extended storage, sun protection glass)
M Sport Plus Pack (xenons, 20" wheels, harman kardon)
Visibility Pack (adaptive headlights, high beam assist)
Media Pack - Professional Plus (professional media, head up display)
Online Entertainment
Folding Mirrors
Panoramic Sunroof
Lumbar Support
Heated Steering Wheel
Apple Carplay
Comfort Access
Variable Dampers
Speed Limit Display
Reversing Camera

Went a bit mad on the spec, but I'd rather get it right now than worry about adding things in the future, which is often prohibitively expensive.

It'll be my first automatic and I'm really looking forward to it. Have always been a massive fan of manuals, but with the combination of getting older and traffic congestion, it just makes sense. Plus I've always got the M4 in the garage when I want to use three pedals.

Probably going to be December before it'll be ready, but since I've got my current X3 to use until then, I won't be slumming it.

You always worry that you've made the right choice (space grey vs sapphire black?) but I'm pretty sure it will be superb. Roll on December.
      09-26-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Your spec sheet is almost identical to mine!!

Still configuring my ideal X3 but will be sticking with the 2.0d as this is more than adequate for my needs. Am unsure of opting for carplay as i am not sure of what benefits it gives (perhaps you can enlighten me) Colourwise I am going the other way - current have space grey so fancy a change and Carbon Black seems the best colour to me.

Would be interested to know what 'deal' you got (perhaps PM me?)
      09-26-2016, 03:49 AM   #3
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Was it a decent deal?
What percentage off list?
Be good to let other UK users know some of the deals available!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Was it a decent deal?
What percentage off list?
Be good to let other UK users know some of the deals available!
....and the overall cost of your purchase. Giving a list of extras and options without a price in my view is meaningless.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:59 AM   #5
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
....and the overall cost of your purchase. Giving a list of extras and options without a price in my view is meaningless.
Peter R, I'm quite prepared to give an idea of the discount on an open forum, but I'm not going to give an exact figure (maybe it's my upbringing, but I don't like discussing such things to all and sundry).

Anyway, I got some quote from coast 2 coast cars, and then got my dealer to match them. In addition, I got an increase on the initial offer for my p/x to match what I thought it was worth. The bottom line is that I got just over 15% off on the new car, with the result that I'm paying just short of £10,000 less than another dealer originally quoted on a cost to change basis.

I'm sure someone else will claim to get a better discount, but on a factory order that's pretty good, and the value of my current X3 is guaranteed, so I'm not too bothered when the new car arrives.
      09-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Peter R, I'm quite prepared to give an idea of the discount on an open forum, but I'm not going to give an exact figure (maybe it's my upbringing, but I don't like discussing such things to all and sundry).

Anyway, I got some quote from coast 2 coast cars, and then got my dealer to match them. In addition, I got an increase on the initial offer for my p/x to match what I thought it was worth. The bottom line is that I got just over 15% off on the new car, with the result that I'm paying just short of £10,000 less than another dealer originally quoted on a cost to change basis.

I'm sure someone else will claim to get a better discount, but on a factory order that's pretty good, and the value of my current X3 is guaranteed, so I'm not too bothered when the new car arrives.
I agree with you regarding the exact figure. I am from the really old school. I was just testing you to see if you would disclose.

Anyway, do you know about the BMWLander website? It was recently created (1 year ago) after the owner of the very large UK BMWLand site sadly passed away.

There is a discussion about the discounts managed on certain BMW cars. One such thread is here ....

https://www.bmwlander.co.uk/index.ph...se.1180/page-2

You will see that 22% is the quoted figure.

I forgot to add that I like your spec.

From 1962 until 2013 I always purchased new cars with the extras that suited me. Then in 2013 at the ripe old age of 71 I decided to take a step back and spend money differently. My current X3 xDrive30d M Sport is an ex BMW managers car that had just about everything on it except for:
Apple Carplay
Comfort Access
Variable Dampers
Speed Limit Display

I will probably wait another 3 years before purchasing another one that will be the G01. In the meantime I am going to take out the extended warranty (with breakdown) with the bells and whistles at around £44 per month.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-26-2016 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

15% off a factory order is pretty good given that dealers want to shoe horn customers into whatever they have on the lot.

With such a grand spec list, your risk of feeling remorse in a years time will be next to zero, even if the G01 has rear-wheel steering and gesture control.

Congrats!
      09-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Excellent choice on your new car - I would be extremely happy with all of your choices!
I have had my 20D M Sport for 4 years and I am thinking about changing. I am thinking high spec X3 or low spec X5. The X3 is far more practical though!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #9
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Congrats with your new BMW.

Still I think, you will be very sorry in less than a year time, when G01 is available. Because, than you will have an old model.... Of course, now you think not. But in a year you will understand. And the new G01 will not be more expensive and might have standard gimmicks that you had to pay for now.

And I would always go for the new model, without the high discount, but than with fewer options.

Still, the present X3 is a great car and you will love it. And space grey seems very good choice. Much better than black (is so common these days).

Last edited by Portimao318; 09-28-2016 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:57 AM   #10
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I disagree. I had my F25 about 4 months before the LC1 refresh, granted it was only a facelift rather than a new model but by opting for the F25 I got a top spec model and decent discount whereas if I had the LC1 it would have been a no frills base spec Msport.

Back in 2001 I had a 3 series saloon that had just been refreshed and featured a new valvetronic engine - it was one of the first in the UK and whilst I got the looks as it was a gorgeous makeover I also got very friendly with the BMW Service Centre who had to keep responding to numerous breakdowns I encountered - having all of the new toys and technology is great but if it isn't tried and tested it can be a bummer.
      09-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers guys. I think I've made the right choice and I'm really looking forward to getting my new car already.

Endre2, I see where you're coming from, and a few years ago I would have been into getting the latest and greatest whenever I could, but I'm not too fussed about that now. I hope I'll be happy with my 30d for a few years, and then when the time comes to change, the next X3 will be more widely available with good deals (I live in Yorkshire, so I'm always keen to get the best deal I can!).

Only time will tell....
      10-04-2016, 05:03 AM   #12
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

years ago - i met an old fella that said the best deals/spec etc were on an outgoing model. new models will always have teething problems, as the new tech is untried and untested in the hands of the customer (usually just out of warranty).
OP - enjoy your car and don't worry about the new model arriving
      10-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
BillyBobby
Rep
Drives: F25 30d

Hello, just took delivery of our 30d MSport last week, so I thought I'd have a look at the forums now. We also managed to get a huge discount off a factory order, though we didn't use a broker to get a price to take to the local dealer. I'm more than happy that we have got a car which should have had any issues sorted by the time it reaches the end of its production cycle, rather than getting a G01 which may have a few teething problems initially.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Having owned my current X3 for 4 years, I've been thinking about changing it for a while. The original plan was to wait for the next model, but it looks like that's not going to be available for a while, so I started to look at the deals available for the existing version.

It seems in the UK that things are much more competitive now, so dealers are keen to negotiate to get a deal. After many phone calls to see what was on offer, I've placed an order to replace my current 20d M Sport manual in Sapphire Black with a 30d M Sport Auto with the following spec:

Space Grey with Oyster Leather
Anthracite Wood Trim
Interior Comfort Pack (electric seats, extended storage, sun protection glass)
M Sport Plus Pack (xenons, 20" wheels, harman kardon)
Visibility Pack (adaptive headlights, high beam assist)
Media Pack - Professional Plus (professional media, head up display)
Online Entertainment
Folding Mirrors
Panoramic Sunroof
Lumbar Support
Heated Steering Wheel
Apple Carplay
Comfort Access
Variable Dampers
Speed Limit Display
Reversing Camera

Went a bit mad on the spec, but I'd rather get it right now than worry about adding things in the future, which is often prohibitively expensive.

It'll be my first automatic and I'm really looking forward to it. Have always been a massive fan of manuals, but with the combination of getting older and traffic congestion, it just makes sense. Plus I've always got the M4 in the garage when I want to use three pedals.

Probably going to be December before it'll be ready, but since I've got my current X3 to use until then, I won't be slumming it.

You always worry that you've made the right choice (space grey vs sapphire black?) but I'm pretty sure it will be superb. Roll on December.
Very good spec, similar to mine I have space grey and oyster.

The 3.0d with the auto is just perfect, my first auto and for a daily I'd not go back.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #15
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Just had an update from the dealer- apparently the car has been locked down for production, so should be getting built in the next 2 - 3 weeks. They've given me an estimated delivery week of week 47 which is w/c 21/11/206. Obviously, with the cars coming from the USA things can be a bit hit and miss, but I will hopefully be in my new X3 by the end of next month.

Getting quite excited now.