BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2024, 06:40 AM   #2839
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Stupid question, not sure if I'm imagining or if it was another 40i like 440i or not but wasn't X3 m40i supposed to come with blue M striped seat belts? Mine are just regular black seat belts.
Somehow, BMW gets away w/more here in the States compared to other countries (like the UK). Another painful one is the lack of acoustic glass!
Appreciate 3
lfdal541036.00
hyde555.50
      03-27-2024, 07:04 AM   #2840
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Somehow, BMW gets away w/more here in the States compared to other countries (like the UK). Another painful one is the lack of acoustic glass!
It’s hard to fathom, and I can only conclude it’s based on local market dynamic and local competition.

We can’t option heated rear seats in the UK market since LCI, and we can’t option rear window blinds. It’s like BMW only allows local markets to choose a set number of options lol.😂

Thankfully, we get most of the good stuff as standard or option.
Appreciate 1
hyde555.50
      03-27-2024, 07:37 AM   #2841
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
The right pipe thing is a normal BMW thing but it should even out to both of them eventually after the car is warmed up. Lots of threads on this
Cheers - I'd waded through pretty much all of these, but hadn't found anything specific to my issue.

As it turns out, it all sorted itself in the end....

I had a poke around in the exhaust with a stiff wire to see if the valve was shut/would move, replaced fuse 203 then drove for a bit in comfort, sport and sport+

Parked up on the drive in sport+ with the engine running , and what do you know, flap is fully open - full exhaust pressure and plume, LH tip is as hot as the RH one. Result. Fuse 203 pulled and remains all good.

Moral of the story is therefore a poke up the tailpipe with something stiff disengages the flaps and leads to a hot tip and exhaustion.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:07 AM   #2842
tjt_
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30i G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
It’s hard to fathom, and I can only conclude it’s based on local market dynamic and local competition.

We can’t option heated rear seats in the UK market since LCI, and we can’t option rear window blinds. It’s like BMW only allows local markets to choose a set number of options lol.😂

Thankfully, we get most of the good stuff as standard or option.
Lol, and all those cars come from the same factory. I remember when I was choosing options and rear heated seats were available, I could take the M striped belt, and I could choose rear blinds.

I can understand the software differences due to different laws, but this? 'We won't offer rear blinds in the UK because they don't get that much sun!'
Appreciate 1
hyde555.50
      03-27-2024, 09:18 AM   #2843
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt_ View Post
Lol, and all those cars come from the same factory. I remember when I was choosing options and rear heated seats were available, I could take the M striped belt, and I could choose rear blinds.

I can understand the software differences due to different laws, but this? 'We won't offer rear blinds in the UK because they don't get that much sun!'
lol it could be that simple, but it was all available pre LCI…..

Clearly rear seat passenger can freeze here, or perhaps BMW removed the blind option to allow in more sun to help keep them warm.
Appreciate 3
tjt_76.50
bocabimmer1593.50
hyde555.50
      03-27-2024, 09:30 AM   #2844
tjt_
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30i G01

Quote:
lol it could be that simple, but it was all available pre LCI…..

Clearly rear seat passenger can freeze here, or perhaps BMW removed the blind option to allow in more sun to help keep them warm.
I assumed that I don't need heated rear seats because it's my car and I won't be sitting in the second row

PS. It would make sense if it was cut for all markets with LCI. But I was talking about me choosing options for my LCI X3 in Poland
Appreciate 1
avi662698.50
      03-27-2024, 05:35 PM   #2845
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt_ View Post
I assumed that I don't need heated rear seats because it's my car and I won't be sitting in the second row

PS. It would make sense if it was cut for all markets with LCI. But I was talking about me choosing options for my LCI X3 in Poland
BMW is strange with options an packages, but I'm thinking of just tinting over the rear glass to make it even darker. I had shades on my x5 and family somehow hated them, I don't know why but they never kept it up then someone would complain it's too hot.. Duh, pull up the shades.
But the seat belt was really surprising to me..
      03-27-2024, 05:37 PM   #2846
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
These M Sport seat belts are standard here on the M40.
UK wins that one! Weird that car built in USA limits this nice touch for US buyers.
      03-27-2024, 06:56 PM   #2847
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
UK wins that one! Weird that car built in USA limits this nice touch for US buyers.
True. It’s weird to see what my car does and doesn’t have, based on what was available previously:
  • No blue seat belts (but it does have red and blue stitching on the steering wheel)
  • No adjustable cargo rails in the cargo compartment
  • No puddle lights
  • No gesture control
  • No rear latches to lower seatbacks
  • Something to do with the cargo floor—I forget what, but I read about it
  • I’m probably missing a few others

It also seems odd that there are no adjustable side bolsters (because of ventilated seats)

None of this is a delete based on parts unavailability due to COVID, since it’s a ‘24.

I also find it odd that the CF option has piano black plastic (not wood) to surround the center console and the radio controls. I indulged myself, and replaced the center console surround with the aftermarket CF. Perhaps I’ll replace the radio control surround someday as well. Also, it’s odd that a CF insert for the steering wheel is available as a retrofit, even though it would be much cheaper and easier just for it to be part of the CF package.

I wonder why the LSD isn’t standard in the U.S., but is (so I’ve read) in the UK.

I’m sure we can go on.

That said, I’m fine with the car.
      03-28-2024, 02:48 AM   #2848
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yea frustrating, but most of the X3 models produced since the start of 2022 for the UK are not made in USA.
Appreciate 1
hyde555.50
      03-28-2024, 02:58 AM   #2849
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
True. It’s weird to see what my car does and doesn’t have, based on what was available previously:
  • No blue seat belts (but it does have red and blue stitching on the steering wheel)
  • No adjustable cargo rails in the cargo compartment
  • No puddle lights
  • No gesture control
  • No rear latches to lower seatbacks
  • Something to do with the cargo floor—I forget what, but I read about it
  • I’m probably missing a few others

It also seems odd that there are no adjustable side bolsters (because of ventilated seats)

None of this is a delete based on parts unavailability due to COVID, since it’s a ‘24.

I also find it odd that the CF option has piano black plastic (not wood) to surround the center console and the radio controls. I indulged myself, and replaced the center console surround with the aftermarket CF. Perhaps I’ll replace the radio control surround someday as well. Also, it’s odd that a CF insert for the steering wheel is available as a retrofit, even though it would be much cheaper and easier just for it to be part of the CF package.

I wonder why the LSD isn’t standard in the U.S., but is (so I’ve read) in the UK.

I’m sure we can go on.

That said, I’m fine with the car.
To add to your list, some more recent changes since 2023 MY;
  • No data capable USB C under the arm rest
  • No ambient door bin lighting in all doors
  • No outer vent dial lighting

Yes, the M Sport diff is standard on the M40 in the UK, and all UK G01’s have Acoustic Glass on the front as standard.
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 03-28-2024 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
hyde555.50
      03-28-2024, 03:38 AM   #2850
izjamest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (2022)

What is the difference between comfort and sport steering? Is one more responsive than the other? Or is there just less power assist with sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 05:11 AM   #2851
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izjamest View Post
What is the difference between comfort and sport steering? Is one more responsive than the other? Or is there just less power assist with sport?
With the sport steering option, sport driver experience mode makes the steering more immediate and sensitive to input. Hence, you don’t need to move the steering wheel as much to achieve a desired change.

I can’t recall if the steering feels more weighted, but it definitely allows more precise placement and control.

Last edited by avi66; 03-28-2024 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 08:45 AM   #2852
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
With the sport steering option, sport driver experience mode makes the steering more immediate and sensitive to input. Hence, you don’t need to move the steering wheel as much to achieve a desired change.

I can’t recall if the steering feels more weighted, but it definitely allows more precise placement and control.
eh... more weighing is exactly what it is, in fact its the only thing... are you saying the steering rack speed changes by going into sport? i assure you that doesn't happen...
      03-28-2024, 09:13 AM   #2853
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
eh... more weighing is exactly what it is, in fact its the only thing... are you saying the steering rack speed changes by going into sport? i assure you that doesn't happen...
If we are talking about the same thing, I’m saying the distance I need to turn the steering wheel is less to achieve a desired amount of steering angle. That’s how it feels to me, as the ratio is variable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:19 AM   #2854
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If we are talking about the same thing, I’m saying the distance I need to turn the steering wheel is less to achieve a desired amount of steering angle. That’s how it feels to me.
for some odd reason... bmw doesn't give a true definition on what this does... the only thing i've been able to find is that it increases or decreases steering responsiveness at low speeds when going around say a parking lot... but i have 0 discernable difference between modes
      03-28-2024, 09:20 AM   #2855
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
for some odd reason... bmw doesn't give a true definition on what this does... the only thing i've been able to find is that it increases or decreases steering responsiveness at low speeds when going around say a parking lot... but i have 0 discernable difference between modes
From my manual -

I notice the difference on narrow country lanes, as in comfort I’m moving the wheel more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:23 AM   #2856
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
From my manual -
yea, what does that mean tho... nothing discernable in terms of driving...
in fact, the f80 m3 claimed something similar yet guys driving around the track mostly drove in comfort mode because they all thought it felt more natural... myself included
      03-28-2024, 09:29 AM   #2857
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
yea, what does that mean tho... nothing discernable in terms of driving...
in fact, the f80 m3 claimed something similar yet guys driving around the track mostly drove in comfort mode because they all thought it felt more natural... myself included
What it means for me when driving is the amount I need to turn the steering wheel to achieve the same as in comfort is less, as if the ratio of steering wheel turn to wheel turn is different.

No idea how it works on your car, but that’s how it feels to me. Each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:33 AM   #2858
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

A bit more wording lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:45 AM   #2859
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
A bit more wording lol
yes but other explanations imply the opposite... less effort and weight at higher speeds and more at lower speeds
      03-28-2024, 10:19 AM   #2860
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
yes but other explanations imply the opposite... less effort and weight at higher speeds and more at lower speeds
I don’t recall seeing “weight” mentioned in the BMW stuff I posted above, and less effort covers not having to move the steering wheel as much as the ratio changes.

I can only tell you how it feels to me, and reducing steering wheel movement to achieve the same as in comfort is how I would describe it. It’s particularly noticeable to me on the fast switch back country lanes I drive, as they tend to be narrow, even by UK standards, so changes to the amount of steering wheel input is very noticeable.

As I said originally, I don’t recall a significant change in weight or physical force I need to apply to move the steering wheel, just a reduction in the amount I need to move it.

I don’t know if it makes any difference, but my car has more weight upfront compared to a M40i.

Last edited by avi66; 03-28-2024 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0