BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #45
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midster View Post
After watching the '2018 BMW X3 Crash Test & Rating' video below, I think all bmw cars have the trusted ability to keep people alive after all sorts of collisions with/without the DA/DA+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFmn43dDpg
Thanks for the video link. Impressive crash results.

All the talk of thinner windshield. Looks like it holds up to all the accidents except the side pole collision.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #46
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

This seemed to be the thread to bump to get perspectives on a recent event. I have this funky intersection on the way to my kid's pre-school with a sign that says "right on red after stop." Yesterday, someone apparently interpreted that as "stop, start, then stop again just in case oncoming traffic is turning into my lane" and I was forced to hit the brakes. I have ZDA - the basic Driving Assistant package. No warning lights or sounds so I assume the braking was 100% me.

My question to the group - if I hadn't manually reacted, since I was going from a stop to less than 10 mph before the front car stopped abruptly, would the camera-based system have invoked AEB and prevented a low-speed rear-end collision? Or does ZDA require that the car be at a certain speed for a certain time interval before it recognizes a vehicle in front as a fellow traveling vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #47
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
This seemed to be the thread to bump to get perspectives on a recent event. I have this funky intersection on the way to my kid's pre-school with a sign that says "right on red after stop." Yesterday, someone apparently interpreted that as "stop, start, then stop again just in case oncoming traffic is turning into my lane" and I was forced to hit the brakes. I have ZDA - the basic Driving Assistant package. No warning lights or sounds so I assume the braking was 100% me.

My question to the group - if I hadn't manually reacted, since I was going from a stop to less than 10 mph before the front car stopped abruptly, would the camera-based system have invoked AEB and prevented a low-speed rear-end collision? Or does ZDA require that the car be at a certain speed for a certain time interval before it recognizes a vehicle in front as a fellow traveling vehicle?
Yours is 2018 or 2019 model?

IIRC, I believe frontal collision 'intervention' is standard for 2019 (ie auto braking at slow speed). Without this option, you only get a 'warning' basically telling you an impact is imminent.

Don't know if DA includes this option if yours is 2018. You have the Manual App handy to check?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #48
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

IIRC, I believe frontal collision 'intervention' is standard for 2019 (ie auto braking at slow speed). Without this option, you only get a 'warning' basically telling you an impact is imminent.

Don't know if DA includes this option if yours is 2018. You have the Manual App handy to check?
Thanks - mine is a 2018, and I'm almost certain what's standard for 2019 is the ZDA package itself, for which I think I paid $700 on my build order. I do appreciate the prompt to refer back to my VIN's user manual - the function is referred to in mine as "approach control warning with light braking function "(definitely not created by the marketing department!) and states that it's active at 3mph and above - so perhaps I was right near that threshold.

A few key quotes:

The system can help prevent accidents. If an accident cannot be prevented, the system will help reduce the collision speed.

The system sounds a warning before an imminent collision and activates brakes independently, if needed.

With the vehicle approaching another vehicle intentionally, the approach control warning and braking are delayed in order to avoid false system reactions.

The bolding in that last one is mine - not sure what they mean by that, but perhaps when approaching from a stop, they assume you are in parking mode or something, and the response is delayed. (I didn't happen to notice if iDrive went into park sensor display mode at the time, but that system didn't emit its unique beep either)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #49
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

Thanks - mine is a 2018, and I'm almost certain what's standard for 2019 is the ZDA package itself, for which I paid $900 on my build order. I do appreciate the prompt to refer back to my VIN's user manual - the function is referred to in mine as "approach control warning with light braking function "(definitely not created by the marketing department!) and states that it's active at 3mph and above - so perhaps I was right near that threshold.

A few key quotes:

The system can help prevent accidents. If an accident cannot be prevented, the system will help reduce the collision speed.

The system sounds a warning before an imminent collision and activates brakes independently, if needed.

With the vehicle approaching another vehicle intentionally, the approach control warning and braking are delayed in order to avoid false system reactions.

The bolding in that last one is mine - not sure what they mean by that, but perhaps when approaching from a stop, they assume you are in parking mode or something, and the response is delayed. (I didn't happen to notice if iDrive went into park sensor display mode at the time, but that system didn't emit its unique beep either)
I think 'intentionally' means the driver overrides the auto system, by continuing applying gas for example, if the driver determines the auto system detects a false signal or braking unnecessarily.

For 2019 models, we still have to pay extra for DA, just that this option no longer include collision prevention which is now standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #50
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I personally was going ot get the DA+ but opted for just the DA. Very happy with it and still trying to see collision avoidance work in real life by braking for me as I get closer to the car in front of me....doesn't seems to be working (and I dont' really want to tempt fate). But the Blind Spot monitoring is working as advertised
      01-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #51
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

It goes without saying that these features will become more and more advanced, and even as they are now they are pretty useful in certain situations. I’m finding that the DA+ is quite good on busy motorways. I’m not climbing into the back to make a cup of tea but it does make me feel more protected should I momentarily succumb to tiredness. Even without the semi-autonomous steering being selected, the steering intervention is quite effective.

If you deliberately let it wander out of a lane, it steers itself back. If this was done as a result of the driver nodding off, I can imagine that the effect of the self correcting steering intervention being enough to startle most people back to that ‘alert state’ and realise that it’s time for a refreshment break.

With active cruise control working in conjunction with the lane hold feature, as well as blind spot monitoring it all adds up to adding a bit of a safety net. I’ve been using a lot. I’ve not necessarily needed it on but just wanted to acclimatise myself with the way it all works. Once you are familiar with what it all does and the way it does it, it all becomes a lot more logical.

Straightlining country lanes, you might want to turn it all off though!

The ACC in my X3 works better than it did in my F31. It seems that improvements have been made in the way that the radar talks to the car and in the way it causes the car to respond - it’s all a bit more seemless. It’ll only get better as time goes on...

All it needs now is a rear facing vaporising gun which automatically fires at talegating cars!
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      01-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #52
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
In Canada, most of the features are included in Premium package. You need to get DA+ in order to get Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keeping Assist. I don't really want or need either. Have had those before and did not use them. ACC is super annoying for my type of commute so it's always left off anyway. In Canada, DA+ costs $2500 I think. I would rather put that towards Individual leather .

That being said, I haven't ordered mine yet and am debating between the Ultimate Package + $700 upgrade to Merino leather or going to Premium Enhanced Package + Harman Kardon + Parking Assist Plus (surround view) + Merino leather.

The Ultimate package option is $1800 more and includes a bunch of stuff I would not spec regardless : Air Fragrance, Trunk Storage package, adjustable rear seats, gestures, ACC and LKA. Bit torn, I really see no value in those items but $1800 seems like a cheap price to pay to get them, even if I don't want them... lol...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #53
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
It goes without saying that these features will become more and more advanced, and even as they are now they are pretty useful in certain situations. I’m finding that the DA+ is quite good on busy motorways. I’m not climbing into the back to make a cup of tea but it does make me feel more protected should I momentarily succumb to tiredness. Even without the semi-autonomous steering being selected, the steering intervention is quite effective.

If you deliberately let it wander out of a lane, it steers itself back. If this was done as a result of the driver nodding off, I can imagine that the effect of the self correcting steering intervention being enough to startle most people back to that ‘alert state’ and realise that it’s time for a refreshment break.

With active cruise control working in conjunction with the lane hold feature, as well as blind spot monitoring it all adds up to adding a bit of a safety net. I’ve been using a lot. I’ve not necessarily needed it on but just wanted to acclimatise myself with the way it all works. Once you are familiar with what it all does and the way it does it, it all becomes a lot more logical.

The ACC in my X3 works better than it did in my F31. It seems that improvements have been made in the way that the radar talks to the car and in the way it causes the car to respond - it’s all a bit more seemless. It’ll only get better as time goes on...

All it needs now is a rear facing vaporising gun which automatically fires at talegating cars!
Road spike release for tailgaters!!!!! #jamesbond
      01-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #54
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Quote:
It goes without saying that these features will become more and more advanced, and even as they are now they are pretty useful in certain situations. I'm finding that the DA+ is quite good on busy motorways. I'm not climbing into the back to make a cup of tea but it does make me feel more protected should I momentarily succumb to tiredness. Even without the semi-autonomous steering being selected, the steering intervention is quite effective.

If you deliberately let it wander out of a lane, it steers itself back. If this was done as a result of the driver nodding off, I can imagine that the effect of the self correcting steering intervention being enough to startle most people back to that 'alert state' and realise that it's time for a refreshment break.

With active cruise control working in conjunction with the lane hold feature, as well as blind spot monitoring it all adds up to adding a bit of a safety net. I've been using a lot. I've not necessarily needed it on but just wanted to acclimatise myself with the way it all works. Once you are familiar with what it all does and the way it does it, it all becomes a lot more logical.

The ACC in my X3 works better than it did in my F31. It seems that improvements have been made in the way that the radar talks to the car and in the way it causes the car to respond - it's all a bit more seemless. It'll only get better as time goes on...

Road spike release for tailgaters!!!!! #jamesbond
We can also find a way to activate the rear fog lights, and turn them on for a second or two when needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #55
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
In Canada, most of the features are included in Premium package. You need to get DA+ in order to get Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keeping Assist. I don't really want or need either. Have had those before and did not use them. ACC is super annoying for my type of commute so it's always left off anyway. In Canada, DA+ costs $2500 I think. I would rather put that towards Individual leather .

That being said, I haven't ordered mine yet and am debating between the Ultimate Package + $700 upgrade to Merino leather or going to Premium Enhanced Package + Harman Kardon + Parking Assist Plus (surround view) + Merino leather.

The Ultimate package option is $1800 more and includes a bunch of stuff I would not spec regardless : Air Fragrance, Trunk Storage package, adjustable rear seats, gestures, ACC and LKA. Bit torn, I really see no value in those items but $1800 seems like a cheap price to pay to get them, even if I don't want them... lol...
If I have to name one or two option that I would not give up no matter what, it is the Surround View which I use every day to properly park my car squarely in the middle of any parking spot. Blind Spot warning is a close second and I cannot tell you how many times it has prevented me from getting into close calls...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #56
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It goes without saying that these features will become more and more advanced, and even as they are now they are pretty useful in certain situations. I'm finding that the DA+ is quite good on busy motorways. I'm not climbing into the back to make a cup of tea but it does make me feel more protected should I momentarily succumb to tiredness. Even without the semi-autonomous steering being selected, the steering intervention is quite effective.

If you deliberately let it wander out of a lane, it steers itself back. If this was done as a result of the driver nodding off, I can imagine that the effect of the self correcting steering intervention being enough to startle most people back to that 'alert state' and realise that it's time for a refreshment break.

With active cruise control working in conjunction with the lane hold feature, as well as blind spot monitoring it all adds up to adding a bit of a safety net. I've been using a lot. I've not necessarily needed it on but just wanted to acclimatise myself with the way it all works. Once you are familiar with what it all does and the way it does it, it all becomes a lot more logical.

The ACC in my X3 works better than it did in my F31. It seems that improvements have been made in the way that the radar talks to the car and in the way it causes the car to respond - it's all a bit more seemless. It'll only get better as time goes on...

Nice write up and summary. I think most of the advanced safety features are stuff that we don't need to use everyday, but we would really appreciate they are there when things happen (you had a nice example of nodding off or micro-sleep behind the wheel).
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      01-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #57
CINCYFAN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 & G05

Garage List
Not to be a downer but added safety packages are no longer options in my mind. As I was sitting in my hospital bed recovering from emergency surgery after being t-boned, I decided that I wanted to be seated higher and that my next BMW was going to have any and all safety features available. I scoured dealer websites from my hospital bed and could only find a few X3s with everything I wanted with the right color combos so we ended up placing an order after I was discharged. While my kids weren't in the car, I can still see the glass shards scattered across the backseat and it makes me sick to my stomach.

I think the six airbags that deployed kept me alive but I don't think that DA or DA+ would have helped in that accident. It's more the idea of having a proactive defense, I'm all for loading up a car with anything that makes it safer.
​​​​​​​
Life is short, drive what you want.
Appreciate 3
nvestr150.50
Pretzel92.50
admranger2984.50
      01-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #58
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYFAN View Post
Not to be a downer but added safety packages are no longer options in my mind. As I was sitting in my hospital bed recovering from emergency surgery after being t-boned, I decided that I wanted to be seated higher and that my next BMW was going to have any and all safety features available. I scoured dealer websites from my hospital bed and could only find a few X3s with everything I wanted with the right color combos so we ended up placing an order after I was discharged. While my kids weren't in the car, I can still see the glass shards scattered across the backseat and it makes me sick to my stomach.

I think the six airbags that deployed kept me alive but I don't think that DA or DA+ would have helped in that accident. It's more the idea of having a proactive defense, I'm all for loading up a car with anything that makes it safer.
I'm with you on this one. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience but glad you came out ok.

Yes, I'm all for getting all available safety features, no matter standard features or options. This was why I bought my teenage kid a new car when she started to drive, absolutely no intention to spoil her in any way, but that was the only way so that I could get all the latest essential safety features equipped to her car.

Glad to report that we picked a good safe car. Generally, car companies which pay attention to providing good passive protection are also those tend to be above average in adding the latest safety technologies. Go here to see the video on X3 if you have not seen it already. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...-door-suv/2019

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/x3-/-x4/33285
Appreciate 1
CINCYFAN205.50
      01-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #59
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I personally was going ot get the DA+ but opted for just the DA. Very happy with it and still trying to see collision avoidance work in real life by braking for me as I get closer to the car in front of me....doesn't seems to be working (and I dont' really want to tempt fate). But the Blind Spot monitoring is working as advertised
Not real life experience but close. Check the video here, especially at the 2:40 mark about front collision avoidance.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/x3-/-x4/33285
Appreciate 1
CINCYFAN205.50
      01-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #60
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYFAN View Post

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you're on the mend

I think the safety systems are more tuned to help preventing us causing accidents, you can never account for the other idiots, hopefully more cars will get the auto braking features in the future and prevent this sort of thing
Appreciate 1
CINCYFAN205.50
      01-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #61
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I have had my share of accidents when I was young and one or two of them I think the DA+ would have prevented $$$ in repairs and insurance costs.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #62
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

I have all the nannies in my X5 (for the most part). I had auto brake save my butt once. Came around a corner on a 50mph road and traffic was dead stopped. It reacted quicker than I could and safely brought the X5 to a stop with some room to spare. Could I have stopped in time? Not sure, but it for sure stopped me before I rear ended someone, causing unnecessary pain and suffering.

We ordered the all for the X3 M40i. Super easy decision.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 2
djrobx57.00
XXX3154.50
      01-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #63
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Well I now know that my DA+ does detect cars.. but unsure the stopping capability.

On the way home, the freeway exit was busy.. so as usual a long line.. and then a stupid ass driver cuts me off and brakes near the entrance to the offramp. My warning indicator went off of a sudden stop. Unsure if the X3 would have braked itself since I hit the brakes.. but it did sense a change in speed. It was a a large orange flashing symbol that popped in the HUD if I remember correctly. Happen quickly so I didn't really get a chance to look carefully.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #64
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
Quote:
Well I now know that my DA+ does detect cars.. but unsure the stopping capability.

On the way home, the freeway exit was busy.. so as usual a long line.. and then a stupid ass driver cuts me off and brakes near the entrance to the offramp. My warning indicator went off of a sudden stop. Unsure if the X3 would have braked itself since I hit the brakes.. but it did sense a change in speed. It was a a large orange flashing symbol that popped in the HUD if I remember correctly. Happen quickly so I didn't really get a chance to look carefully.
I think the system also has the capability to 'prime' the brake so the brake can respond quicker even if you end up doing the braking yourself. Either way, we all should be glad that the system is there to keep us safe, even if we can't do it ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #65
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post

It turns red when the brakes activate.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #66
ankur2018
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Driver assistant package

Hi guyz,
Just quick question/query, I have a 2018 Bmw x3 x30i. I have the standard driver assistant package in my car which includes front collision warning, lane departure alert, pedestrian collision and blind spot. Is it possible that I can upgrade my car now to have full Driver assistant plus package that included active cruise control and the lane-keep assist?
Please if anyone knows about this then let me know.

Thanks
Appreciate 0