BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
EvanF
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

IPhone and iDrive issues

Every so often, when playing music via Bluetooth, the system seems to crap out. Songs will still play, but skipping songs takes up to a full minute between button press and action. Also, my apps (Spotify, Pandora etc) will randomly disappear from the media menu.
Any tips? Is this an iPhone issue or an iDrive issue, should I just bite the bullet and go with CarPlay and the full screen hack?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
GoCubs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X4 M40i

Are you wireless charging at the same time?

I've found that if you're wireless charging for extended periods and using the phone for maps/Spotify at the same time that the phone will get really hot, especially if in a case. When phones are really hot they will slow down their processing and then you can get the audio cut outs, etc. Leaving the case off helps a lot if you do it from the start of a longer trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #3
Freezzr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 4-series Gran Coupe

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW 4 GC  [0.00]
I have the same problem too... Continouosly having these problems, and I'm wondering, is it the crappy system or is it my phone software (iPhone, iOS up-to-date):

- connecting Connected drive app, totally drama every F$#$G day, I even had to fill in the identification nr again last week
- bluetooth stopping suddenly when having a call (super irritating as I call with customers a lot when driving)
- bluetooth connection gone after having a call with use of Microsoft Teams
- connection with Spotify after half an hour driving, finally

To add on this, I have the cheap system in my car, I TOTALLY HATE IT. I couldn't make the choice as the dealer had already ordered the car without professional... It's really ruining to fun of the X3 now...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #4
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m40i Individual 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanF View Post
Every so often, when playing music via Bluetooth, the system seems to crap out. Songs will still play, but skipping songs takes up to a full minute between button press and action. Also, my apps (Spotify, Pandora etc) will randomly disappear from the media menu.
Any tips? Is this an iPhone issue or an iDrive issue, should I just bite the bullet and go with CarPlay and the full screen hack?
Thanks!
Since few weeks ago I'm having the same issue with CarPlay. It disappear for few minutes then reappear and resume the song.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:34 AM   #5
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Im good with my Carplay - no issues thus far. I maybe have to pair every month but that's normal. I love my Carplay
      06-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
Thanks!
Yeah, I have similar annoying issues with iDrive in general.

It usually doesn't remember what I was last listening to. E.g. I always use either Bluetooth audio from my iPhone or Presets, but when starting the car sometimes it goes to Satellite Radio. Or sometimes it goes to Bluetooth and starts with the first song alphabetically.

On start, sometimes it doesn't go to my split screen setting and shows the map in full screen.

On start, sometimes it goes to iDrive home.

My default should always be map and audio split screen.

Sometimes Bluetooth takes ages to load and navigate.

Sometimes Bluetooth just stops streaming audio.

Sometimes it doesn't connect the phone, just audio.

It really is unpredictable and unstable and disappointing.

However, these all just seem like software bugs, so I'm hoping an update will fix these issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
Quote:
Thanks!
Yeah, I have similar annoying issues with iDrive in general.

It usually doesn't remember what I was last listening to. E.g. I always use either Bluetooth audio from my iPhone or Presets, but when starting the car sometimes it goes to Satellite Radio. Or sometimes it goes to Bluetooth and starts with the first song alphabetically.

On start, sometimes it doesn't go to my split screen setting and shows the map in full screen.

On start, sometimes it goes to iDrive home.

My default should always be map and audio split screen.

Sometimes Bluetooth takes ages to load and navigate.

Sometimes Bluetooth just stops streaming audio.

Sometimes it doesn't connect the phone, just audio.

It really is unpredictable and unstable and disappointing.

However, these all just seem like software bugs, so I'm hoping an update will fix these issues.
Yes, all software issues. What Nav firmware version do you have?

Fixes to most/all may come if BMW doesn't ignore iDrive6 now that 7 is shipping.
      06-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #8
shemazar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e46 m3

I was just using the iOS 13 beta with the new CarPlay features and its hot! I also have the fullscreen carplay tweak installed and things are glorious. Apple Maps is beautiful in fullscreen, and the new nav ui is really nice.

With iOS 13 too, my wife can control the music from the phone and keep the nav/maps on the screen. Thats new in iOS 13, but its cool.

Fullscreen carplay just makes me not wanna use iDrive at all honestly.
Appreciate 0