BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2022, 07:35 AM   #45
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
We looked at a new X3/4 M to replace our X4 M40i and ended up going for the 23 Macan GTS. PDK, air suspension and looks were a factor.
But tech was not..........lol.
Agree re tech. I prefer the analogue dials and manual park brake on my CS. I wanted to get the Macan before it goes all electric in 24. Is some ways the ID8 on the X3/4 MC is already there. So I prefer the older school less tech driving experience - even though the Macan comes with plenty (though not as much as the ID8 X3/4). I know I'm a dinasaur. I'll catch up with you all in 6-7 years when I get my first electric.
Appreciate 1
JOHNBMWM51989.00
      08-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #46
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Agree re tech. I prefer the analogue dials and manual park brake on my CS. I wanted to get the Macan before it goes all electric in 24. Is some ways the ID8 on the X3/4 MC is already there. So I prefer the older school less tech driving experience - even though the Macan comes with plenty (though not as much as the ID8 X3/4). I know I'm a dinasaur. I'll catch up with you all in 6-7 years when I get my first electric.
ID8 isn't in the X3/X4 yet, that's the i4/iX system. Still ID7 which I actually highly prefer over ID8. The 2023 M3 has ID8 now.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      08-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #47
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
and to be fair porsche has its own share of issues (weak sirius xm antenna) i've come across but not to the degree my bmw had.
Lmao, the internet is a wicked place… cute little “porschah owner”.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 06:02 PM   #48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3M comp

I know this is in no way a reflection of all Macan drivers but I always found this thread hilarious.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/d...manual.109593/
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      08-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #49
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 565565 View Post
I know this is in no way a reflection of all Macan drivers but I always found this thread hilarious.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/d...manual.109593/
That’s funny. Sadly most people who buy fancy imports are buying for the badge not the engineering
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      08-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #50
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Macan guys - it's about refinement.

Doggg Macan msrp is anywhere from $60-$90k that's no Rolls or 911 Turbo S. 🤣

Tuned X3/X4M will blow the doors off most cars and overall great build quality.

These are all german cars at the end of the day and are eons ahead of Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc.

When I get into a Japanese or American car it's sadly not even close yet the price is in the same ballpark.
2022 Ford Expeditions are going for $80k
      08-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #51
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Lmao, the internet is a wicked place… cute little “porschah owner”.
yup i went on to buy a C4S and I also have a Cayenne Turbo Coupe. Not sure why you think that's some kind of gotcha when I was being fair towards Porsche's own problems

you're being a petty broke bitch, indeed the internet is a wicked place to post how dumb you are.

let us know when you trade in your X3 for the RS7

Last edited by supershaft; 08-15-2022 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
10SecGG504.00
      08-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #52
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
Good review... funny thumbnail they used
Anything for clicks, likes or follows. Right?
Don't forget to smash that bell.
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      08-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #53
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

No doubt a Macan drives better, is put together better, and even holds value better. However on a SUV I don't care as much about that last 1% of handling. The BMW is far cheaper for the performance. I guess if I had an unlimited budget Id get a Macan GTS of the two. However I don't need a SUV to be a race car. I can't imagine taking it on track. Id probably get two cars that are more focused first.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #54
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd306 View Post

These are all german cars at the end of the day and are eons ahead of Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc.

When I get into a Japanese or American car it's sadly not even close yet the price is in the same ballpark.
I'm right there with you. A 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT and 2020 x3m would run you about 80k fully loaded. But the jeep ride/drivetrain refinement, interior quality, and material usage falls short of the bmw. I said to myself when I made the switch to my x3m "wow, I get why people buy these now." Looking back, I don't see what was really worth 80 grand on a Jeep.
Appreciate 1
sd306380.50
      08-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #55
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_FriendlyX3M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd306 View Post

I'm right there with you. A 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT and 2020 x3m would run you about 80k fully loaded. But the jeep ride/drivetrain refinement, interior quality, and material usage falls short of the bmw. I said to myself when I made the switch to my x3m "wow, I get why people buy these now." Looking back, I don't see what was really worth 80 grand on a Jeep.
I think in normal times FCA stuff is much more discounted than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #56
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But in this case I think they are right.
No, I don’t think they are. Porsche makes terrific cars like the 911 GTS and Turbo S as well as some totally overpriced dailies like Macan, Cayenne and Panamera. Let’s compare. The F97 is less expensive, quicker, more powerful, has gobs of tuning potential, has better tech, has much more sophisticated powertrain cooling, and has vastly more interior space, and also vastly more cargo space than the Macan GTS. The Macan has quicker transmission, sharper handling and a softer, more compliant ride. It also has that magnificent Porsche badge and, sadly, that’s all that matters for many Macan buyers. When a sales rep gets promoted to a key account manager, buying a Macan is usually at the very top of his “to do” list.
Exactly. Nailed it.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      08-15-2022, 07:33 PM   #57
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Exactly. Nailed it.
You guys are worse than the Corvette crowd. If it’s not your preference of car, it’s a pos. Open your effin eyes and explore other engineering. Lots of bad ass cars out there in the world today.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:43 PM   #58
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Quote:
does Audi SQ5 count? Because that's what the Macan is.
a lot of words to say "i cant afford a porsche"
Stuart you can't post stuff like that on the internet

But he said BMW was a better suv than Porsche

What does mommy say about arguing with the internet

The internet is undefeated

What's this thread about macans x4 911
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:39 AM   #59
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Not sure if they we were watching the same video? They both commented on the performance, handling through turns, mentioned it in comparison to the older X3M, as well as an X3 M40i, talked about the looks for...a good minute with comparisons again, and launched it multiple times giving pretty good acclaim for the performance.

Maybe you need another pass through it lol.
Regarding:

- performance: genuine low end torque related stuff, and launch control for roughly 30 seconds starting 6:56.

- handling through turns: cliche corner bull**** starts 5:51, ends something around 6:30, that's neither exhaustive, nor precise.

- comparison older X3 M an X3 m40i: m40i mentioned 3:16 for 2 seconds, and 4:17 for 3 seconds. X3M: mentioned oversteer regarding the old one 5:59 (2 seconds), xDrive related stuff at 6:17 (2 seconds), diff related stuff 6:28 (2 seconds) and launch related aspect at 7:12 for 2 seconds, too. For those two aspects 13 whole seconds, wow!

Apologies but 2 minutes in a nearly 17 minutes aren't exactly an achievement.

What I am missing: detailed review about handling, brakes (not mentioned at all!), cooling, suspension (the only mentioned the new calibration), trunk (one of the main reasons you buy this thing).

All in all, very blunt review. Entertainment purposes only. These guys seem very likeable, but there is no whatsoever depth to their statements. Savagegeese or whatever their name is, or SpeedLabs do a way way better job.

disclaimer: quickly went through transcript, not necessarily exhaustive.

Last edited by DFTBA; 08-16-2022 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:17 AM   #60
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
Quote:
Exactly. Nailed it.
You guys are worse than the Corvette crowd. If it’s not your preference of car, it’s a pos. Open your effin eyes and explore other engineering. Lots of bad ass cars out there in the world today.
Don't cry.

I love the Macan GTS. But on my shortlist it came 3rd with the GLC63 2nd.

Why?

1. In the UK the GTS is significantly more expensive - like 30-40% per month

2. It's slower

I think the BMW offers better value, better interior and better tech. I prefer the S58 too. I also don't track so the handling is perfect for me.

Like for like on price and I'd probably go green Macan and then hope I didn't meet an X3M or X4M at the lights.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
VMcV3y152.50
      08-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #61
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Quote:
Don't cry.

I love the Macan GTS. But on my shortlist it came 3rd with the GLC63 2nd.

Why?

1. In the UK the GTS is significantly more expensive - like 30-40% per month

2. It's slower

I think the BMW offers better value, better interior and better tech. I prefer the S58 too. I also don't track so the handling is perfect for me.

Like for like on price and I'd probably go green Macan and then hope I didn't meet an X3M or X4M at the lights.

To me those are valid points… not some ridiculous nonsense. I respect everyone’s opinion, but to say one car is better than another on baseless facts like a guy buying one after a promotion is just stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #62
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFTBA View Post
Regarding:

- performance: genuine low end torque related stuff, and launch control for roughly 30 seconds starting 6:56.

- handling through turns: cliche corner bull**** starts 5:51, ends something around 6:30, that's neither exhaustive, nor precise.

- comparison older X3 M an X3 m40i: m40i mentioned 3:16 for 2 seconds, and 4:17 for 3 seconds. X3M: mentioned oversteer regarding the old one 5:59 (2 seconds), xDrive related stuff at 6:17 (2 seconds), diff related stuff 6:28 (2 seconds) and launch related aspect at 7:12 for 2 seconds, too. For those two aspects 13 whole seconds, wow!

What I am missing: detailed review about handling, brakes (not mentioned at all!), cooling, suspension (the only mentioned the new calibration), trunk (one of the main reasons you buy this thing).

All in all, very blunt review. Entertainment purposes only. These guys seem very likeable, but there is no whatsoever depth to their statements. Savagegeese or whatever their name is, or SpeedLabs do a way way better job.

I mean, are you looking for a review or an engineering video? Sounds like it's not what you're wanting out of a "review." There's not really much more to say than "it's good" or "not good," and anything that's not good they'd point out. They also probably "expect" that you watched their 2020 X3M and 2022 M40i videos as the cars are similar and can be compared there.

Savagegeese isn't much better, he has some guys just go over parts lists and takes 7x as long to say basically the same stuff as what these guys do, so...not sure if I really understand.
Appreciate 2
dmanb2b2124.50
      08-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #63
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
If I watch a review of a car like the X3Mx I expect them to focus on what that car was built to achieve in the first place.

For me, they didn’t. You don’t get that, fine. That doesn’t make my point less valid.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #64
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I watch a review of a car like the X3Mx I expect them to focus on what that car was built to achieve in the first place.

For me, they didn’t. You don’t get that, fine. That doesn’t make my point less valid.
It was meant to go fast and handle well, and they perfectly cover that in the video. Like I said, it sounds like you want an in-depth engineering review video of the build of the car itself, not a regular driving review, which is what this video is.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #65
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
To me those are valid points… not some ridiculous nonsense. I respect everyone’s opinion, but to say one car is better than another on baseless facts like a guy buying one after a promotion is just stupid.
There is no need to pretend stupid because I clearly listed whole bunch of reasons why I believe the X3M is the better car. These include affordability, better engine, much better performance, better tech, more cargo space, more interior space, and more. These are all objectively measurable parameters. I’m sorry that you and your lowlife Porschah friend do not agree with my views. This is bimmerpost, most people here are BMW owners and fans. If you go to rennlist or audizine, you will get to hear completely different opinions.
Appreciate 1
JOHNBMWM51989.00
      08-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #66
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Regarding:

I mean, are you looking for a review or an engineering video? Sounds like it's not what you're wanting out of a "review." There's not really much more to say than "it's good" or "not good," and anything that's not good they'd point out. They also probably "expect" that you watched their 2020 X3M and 2022 M40i videos as the cars are similar and can be compared there.

Savagegeese isn't much better, he has some guys just go over parts lists and takes 7x as long to say basically the same stuff as what these guys do, so...not sure if I really understand.
Quote:

If that's all you think Savage Geese is doing, you're right, you don't understand.
Appreciate 0