BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2020, 04:25 AM   #89
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F91, previously F98

Has anyone stacked tunes?

I have racechip on the s58 engine, but I am a bit displeased at the result, even with mixing 20% e85 and 91 pump (that's all I can get). I really want to add to the performance, and possibly do a flash tune, either through OBD or a bench flash, which produces 25hp more, and add a downpipe. I'm not sure if the engine could handle it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:11 AM   #90
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
I was in for a simple oil change. The shop foreman asked me about who I was tuned with. I said my car is stock besides my down pipe that's why I'm getting the check engine in the dash. He said I know your car has been tuned. BMW wants to know if it was a reputable tuner. I said yes. Its PTF. He said ok thats good. Gave a good day. So IDK. it was just a oil change lol.
Maybe he assumed someone that has downpipes likely has a tune?

Seems odd for an oil change
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #91
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMiller View Post
Has anyone stacked tunes?

I have racechip on the s58 engine, but I am a bit displeased at the result, even with mixing 20% e85 and 91 pump (that's all I can get). I really want to add to the performance, and possibly do a flash tune, either through OBD or a bench flash, which produces 25hp more, and add a downpipe. I'm not sure if the engine could handle it.
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't advise stacking tunes. If you want to upgrade to a flash tune, then your racechip is no longer needed. Ditch it, and let the flash unlock a lot more power as it is designed to do.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #92
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't advise stacking tunes. If you want to upgrade to a flash tune, then your racechip is no longer needed. Ditch it, and let the flash unlock a lot more power as it is designed to do.
+1

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
      12-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #93
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I've been thinking of that as well. I have been doing a lot of digging around to learn about overall performance gains. Instead of ecu flashing, which would produce a slight more hp, with a downpipe, I am thinking of keeping the racechip and doing other mods like fuel pump to run higher ethanol, but there is not that many parts available for the s58 engine yet.
I think when the new m3/4 drop, a lot of parts would be available, but that could be from 6-9 months and if manufacturers are ready to drop parts right when the m3/4 are released.
One more question is if I do a downpipe, the check engine will turn on because I don't have an ecu tune, but would that have any negative affect on the engine itself? I heard the flash tune changes ratios to cope with the catless downpipes not just turns the light off?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #94
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was in for a simple oil change. The shop foreman asked me about who I was tuned with. I said my car is stock besides my down pipe that's why I'm getting the check engine in the dash. He said I know your car has been tuned. BMW wants to know if it was a reputable tuner. I said yes. Its PTF. He said ok thats good. Gave a good day. So IDK. it was just a oil change lol.
suby01 when you drove 400+ miles with the downpipe and no tune, did you notice any negative affects? Does the tune just take the light off or does it changes ratios that adapt to the catless downpipe which then the light goes away?

I have a piggyback and want to add a dp so I want to know if its okay to do.

Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #95
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
suby01 when you drove 400+ miles with the downpipe and no tune, did you notice any negative affects? Does the tune just take the light off or does it changes ratios that adapt to the catless downpipe which then the light goes away?

I have a piggyback and want to add a dp so I want to know if its okay to do.

Thanks man
No difference or negative driving feel with no tune and DP. The check engine is there in your face. But the car did not hesitate or act differently, besides being slow. 😆
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #96
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No difference or negative driving feel with no tune and DP. The check engine is there in your face. But the car did not hesitate or act differently, besides being slow. 😆
Lol. how annoying was the light? is it worth it? I would be seeing that light for the next 3 years lol
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #97
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol. how annoying was the light? is it worth it? I would be seeing that light for the next 3 years lol
The light is annoying. Just like it would be in any other car. But except it's still brand new ish. And 70k+ and not actually broken so it speaks to you each time you get in.
There are fixes.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #98
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The light is annoying. Just like it would be in any other car. But except it's still brand new ish. And 70k+ and not actually broken so it speaks to you each time you get in.
There are fixes.

lol. there are real fixes like spark plug defoulers or actual 02 sensor spacers. both do the same thing, just gives the 02 sensor some space from the catless dp and this eliminates the cel. I found this out after I asked how annoying is it lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #99
Daniely30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Quote:
There are fixes.

lol. there are real fixes like spark plug defoulers or actual 02 sensor spacers. both do the same thing, just gives the 02 sensor some space from the catless dp and this eliminates the cel. I found this out after I asked how annoying is it lol.
The problem on s58 is that there is no room to put a spacer for o2. On b58 no problem, on s58 there is not even .1mm to spare
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #100
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Just tune out the code with BM3...
      01-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #101
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Been there tried it. New BMWs are too smart for that. All a O2 spacer does on our cars is give you more time between the CEL showing up. As soon as you go WOT few times its back like your bestest friend in the world. Tried O2 spacers and Mini Cats too. And I am not running a catless CP, its still a 300 cel DP I believe and catted and there is no way to get rid of the CEL.
Only option is an actual tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #102
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

You can also have the stock or competition map flashed with the code tuned out if you're worried about safety of the engine.
      01-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #103
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd306 View Post
You can also have the stock or competition map flashed with the code tuned out if you're worried about safety of the engine.
yes, i don’t understand what his issue is.
Appreciate 0