BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #45
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Try another cable lmao. Come on PTF, that's stupid. Sounds like their product needs an unexpected re-write.
Exactly. And the sooner they realize that, the better for their existing and potential customers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #46
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofernandez View Post
Don't panic guys. I'm sure they will solve this problem soon.
They just can't be as fast as bmw is.
Be aware that this can happen on every update that bmw releases. So for mhd and BM tuners: stay away from new bmw updates.
As we say in IT business: never touch a running system ;-)

P.s. i worked with dzenno (founder of bm)years ago on my e92 and he and his team is more as just competent. They are pro's in their business
Yea, took about 7-8 years to get tuners industry to crack the ECU through OBD2 port.
1-2 years prior, need to bench flash by cracking ECU open or drill a hole to jump it into boot mode before it can be flashed.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #47
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofernandez View Post
Don't panic guys. I'm sure they will solve this problem soon.
They just can't be as fast as bmw is.
Be aware that this can happen on every update that bmw releases. So for mhd and BM tuners: stay away from new bmw updates.
As we say in IT business: never touch a running system ;-)

P.s. i worked with dzenno (founder of bm)years ago on my e92 and he and his team is more as just competent. They are pro's in their business
+1

BM3 ftw

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      11-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #48
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
They didn’t mention it has. I have purchased 5 cars from them in total. Tbh if I had a major engine or drivetrain issue they could in theory say my warranty is void due to the tune. Then again the s58 is made for more power so I don’t expect any issues. 🤞 Once the new M3/M4 comes out I expect most of these will be tuned and they expect it.
They expect it hence the system to flag them automatically and the DME changes to try and lock tunes out, but they won't pay for it.

I wonder what will happen when people return a PCP car at the end with a flag attached to it for a tune, as it cannot be resold with a warranty I wonder if BMW FS will agree to stand on in their role as the buyer of last resort for the GFV?
      11-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #49
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
They didn’t mention it has. I have purchased 5 cars from them in total. Tbh if I had a major engine or drivetrain issue they could in theory say my warranty is void due to the tune. Then again the s58 is made for more power so I don’t expect any issues. 🤞 Once the new M3/M4 comes out I expect most of these will be tuned and they expect it.
They expect it hence the system to flag them automatically and the DME changes to try and lock tunes out, but they won't pay for it.

I wonder what will happen when people return a PCP car at the end with a flag attached to it for a tune, as it cannot be resold with a warranty I wonder if BMW FS will agree to stand on in their role as the buyer of last resort for the GFV?
Time will tell mate.

I guess those with BM3 will have to sell to an independent garage vs BMW dealership at the end of their PCP and take the hit.

So glad so didn't get BM3 on my car, it's due in on Wednesday for the recall.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #50
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

BMW don't check anything at px except a visual inspection - my previous 2 BMW's had been tuned and no issue.

Even if they did start to its easy to change brand.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #51
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

FYI, last week I flashed back to stock for a long drive. I tried to flash back to Stage 1 91 two days ago and kept getting stuck at 5% and gave the drivetrain error and car would not start - obviously. I then flashed back to stock and worked each time. I tried iPhone App and Laptop (with Antivirus disabled), but still didn't work.

I then gave up after a few tries and opened a ticket. They responded quickly and I sent them a few files. They thought everything looked good and wanted to do a remote session, but I didn't have the time then.

So, the next day I only used the iPhone app (after closing the app and restarting the phone) with wifi turned off (to use cellular network and avoid any possible firewall issues), turned off bluetooth, and manually set the IP on the lightning to ethernet adapter IP to 169.254.250.250 and subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 (as recommended). Then no issue and flashed fine running on a 20AMP charger. Not sure if what I did differently actually changed anything or if it was a fluke with their system, but wanted to mention it.

For previous flashes from stock to Stage 1 91, I didn't do anything special besides putting it on a 20AMP Charger.

So, I don't think it was anything to do with a software update as I didn't go to a dealer or have any work done.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      11-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #52
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

PTF reached out to me today, on a Sunday (impressive), to offer me a remote session. I'm not free from 9-5 until Friday, so we have a date now. Will keep everyone informed on our outcome.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #53
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Okay so Ive read OPs post and have been following along since say 1. I think there is a server error or app error for PTF. I didnt have any dealer service updates as of late and I was able to flash earlier this week. Today I tried loading a new map and I cant get it load. It failed half way. Drivetrain malfunction. Car wont start. Had to flash to stock. Cant drive it since Im on E85 and have a stock tune now. Its not a X3M but same exact scenario as you guys. So its not the dealer or the DME its something with PTF.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
sd306380.50
      11-22-2020, 11:27 PM   #54
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Okay so Ive read OPs post and have been following along since say 1. I think there is a server error or app error for PTF. I didnt have any dealer service updates as of late and I was able to flash earlier this week. Today I tried loading a new map and I cant get it load. It failed half way. Drivetrain malfunction. Car wont start. Had to flash to stock. Cant drive it since Im on E85 and have a stock tune now. Its not a X3M but same exact scenario as you guys. So its not the dealer or the DME its something with PTF.
I got couple errors with the same 5% stuck shows server has maintenance in progress. after couple flashes it was throwing an error also before final pop up SUCCESS saying error due to server doesn't respond or smth like that. I thought it was my LTE doesn't has a strong signal cause I was using my cell phone as wifi Hotspot. after other couple tries i flashed it just fine.no issues now. as I see here people have same error as I had. my car wasn't updated recently since I did a brake in service at dealer. I flashed it after I picked up a car. Just my 3 cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #55
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
PTF reached out to me today, on a Sunday (impressive), to offer me a remote session. I'm not free from 9-5 until Friday, so we have a date now. Will keep everyone informed on our outcome.
Same here. Offered Sunday for a remote but I was busy need to arrange another time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #56
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I just flashed this past Friday from stock to stage 1 with no issues or interruptions. I had a battery tender connected prior to and during the flash. Weird everyone seems to have varying experiences
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      11-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #57
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
I just flashed this past Friday from stock to stage 1 with no issues or interruptions. I had a battery tender connected prior to and during the flash. Weird everyone seems to have varying experiences
Did you have the latest software update from BMW? I think this is causing the issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #58
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you have the latest software update from BMW? I think this is causing the issues.
No DME updates for me but it sounds like someone else above had trouble flashing without the update too.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #59
suby01
United_States
Rep

Update to my update.
I was unsuccessful flashing any maps to the car yesterday. And I was unable to download the maps, just like someone mentioned they couldn't as well. This was even though I had good cell service. So it wasn't an isolated incident because I was able to flash to different maps all week.

I contacted PTF support. They asked for my VIN so I provided it to them. I am guessing they made some updates / changes on their end. Came back and told me to flash again just to make sure I close out from the app and log out. (Which I also have been doing all day yesterday).
And someone here also suggested to have the car battery hooked up to charger. I did that and my flash was successful.
Good luck to anyone who is still having issues, I did tell PTF that multiple other users are reporting same exact issues with the S58 and B58. So hopefully they treat it as a system defect and resolve it proactively.
Appreciate 1
RoWoX3M401.00
      11-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #60
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Botttom line, if you take your car to the dealer they will update your DME while they're in there. I had a service due (under warranty) and had no choice. If you can avoid the dealer for discretionary maintenance (I had an appointment elsewhere for my winter tires) until PTF figures this out, you're better off for now. My two pennies......
FYI - I had the scheduled 10,000 mile service last year after the software update came out for the rear camera recall on my 2019 X3 M40i. I asked my service advisor NOT to install the new software update during the service (not because I have a tune, I just didn't want it). They complied with my request and did not install the software update even though it was specifically for a safety recall. So as far as I know, you can ask them not to install any new software updates when you bring your car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:43 AM   #61
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
BMW don't check anything at px except a visual inspection - my previous 2 BMW's had been tuned and no issue.

Even if they did start to its easy to change brand.
As its already flagged they don't need to check anything pop the key in the holder and it'll be there, plus your last 2 cars probably weren't subject to the new system.

I guess you'll have to settle the GFV and try and resell.
      11-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #62
hxr
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M

Just finished a remote session with Serge. Latest version 176 is not flashable at the moment. Something to do with a bug on their development side they're working on.

I reverted back to 175 and now can flash OTS Stage 1 and 2 maps back on. Based in London if anyone wants help
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #63
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxr View Post
Just finished a remote session with Serge. Latest version 176 is not flashable at the moment. Something to do with a bug on their development side they're working on.

I reverted back to 175 and now can flash OTS Stage 1 and 2 maps back on. Based in London if anyone wants help
So it's the app not the dme? You've had your dme updated recently?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #64
hxr
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
So it's the app not the dme? You've had your dme updated recently?
Correct. I've updated the DME myself to the latest 2020 November version and it kept failing to flash at least 5 times on the OTS maps. (flashing back to stock was always successful). The 2020 July DME version still works if you want to flash OTS maps.

They were working on some development for automatic Upgrades and he thinks there's a bug and needs to investigate the issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #65
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

So with all this flagging of software by dealers is there a consensus that it is better to leave the tune installed or load the stock map and relock the DME? In my last BMW I went in for emissions after flashing my vehicle and their program flagged my car because flash process reset the o2 sensors and the vehicle needed to be driven for like 50 miles in varying conditions to readapt. Any likelihood the unlocking of the DME would be undetectable once it is relocked and the vehicle is driven for a bit before going in?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #66
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So with all this flagging of software by dealers is there a consensus that it is better to leave the tune installed or load the stock map and relock the DME? In my last BMW I went in for emissions after flashing my vehicle and their program flagged my car because flash process reset the o2 sensors and the vehicle needed to be driven for like 50 miles in varying conditions to readapt. Any likelihood the unlocking of the DME would be undetectable once it is relocked and the vehicle is driven for a bit before going in?
Your post had 2 questions.
1st. Yes you should lock your DME and flash to stock before going to dealer. Make sure you drive 50+ miles after the flash so there is a regular reading for any codes they need for any software related updates.
2nd. Locking your DME absolutely does nothing to prevent the dealer from seeing your previous flash/tune.
I had my DME locked and drove for 400+ miles to get the data pushed as far back in the reading as far as possible.
Within 10 minutes of the car being at the dealer the shop foreman calls me. Hi so who's your tuner? Hashtag pay to play.
Appreciate 0