BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #45
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

OH, forgot to ask ... are we supposed to trim this piece ... to get the bracket to sit more flush?

and fwiw, I test fitted it and approach from various angles and various bolt orders... the best I could come up with is:

drivers side = perfect
pass side = can only get in 1 screw

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 05-05-2020 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: edited - because they dont care
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #46
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

You can trim it if it's blocking the flush fitment. You're going to have to finagle the fitting to make it work for you. Even the charge/boost pipes have some adjustability that affects how the intercooler lines up. Do you have FTP boost/charge pipes installed?
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #47
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
OH, forgot to ask ... are we supposed to trim this piece ... to get the bracket to sit more flush?

and fwiw, I test fitted it and approach from various angles and various bolt orders... the best I could come up with is:

drivers side = perfect
pass side = can only get in 1 screw

I hope Tiago@VRSF see's this and chimes in
Are you using an older fmic before they had the x3 n55 version?

While I had my mechanic install mine, it was basic bolt on with Minimal plastic trimming on the passenger side for clearance
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #48
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
Do you have FTP boost/charge pipes installed?
I did recently install ftp boost and charge pipes. Nothing at this moment is complete or tightened down as of yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Are you using an older fmic before they had the x3 n55 version?

While I had my mechanic install mine, it was basic bolt on with Minimal plastic trimming on the passenger side for clearance
I recently purchased from x-ph (las vegas based) but the box shows it shipped from Miami, directly from vrsf. My guess is, it is not the older version ... unless they had old ones and sent me an old one

pdubq , more details please , on what was trimmed on the pass side. thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #49
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had some emails from the makers of the fmic, I'd like to share:

I emailed on their website, described my vehicle, what I purchased, and what I need help with
Quote:
"The washers go on the inside of the bracket"
I ask for a picture to illustrate
Quote:
"Unfortunately we do not have pictures available at the moment but there are few DIY's available on the forums."
(no links were provided, nor what I should google / look for)

I get proactive, and provide a few pictures of possible ways to set up the hardware
Quote:
"The spacers are not necessary, you can eliminate those. The washers for the brackets are only necessary if the hole inside the bracket is larger than the head of the bolt, otherwise they aren't necessary.

The course threads mount the bracket to the car, the machine screw and nut are for the intercooler to bracket connection."
I sent a picture of the hardware bag, and asked what to do with the 2 long coarse threaded bolts. I show a piece of plastic where oem intercooelr mounted and asked if I should trim due to Vrsf provided brackets not seating flush (NOTE: I also asked in a fb group for another opinion)
Quote:
"Are we responding here or the multiple places we've seen you post publicly? This is putting a strain on our support team, please do not post your questions anywhere but via e-mail so our guys don't have to scramble to find where else this may have been posted.

The trimming is relatively straight forward. I'd recommend test fitting the intercooler, feeling for where you're making contact and then marking the area that needs to be trimmed."

So far:

-I am pretty disappointed with the support/service
-I am disappointed with the fitment of the brackets
-I wont bother speaking much about the welds and bent fins, I believe that topic has been discussed many times in the past
-I scratch my head as to why bags of hardware is provided (with no instruction) and the user is to determine which pieces are to be discarded and which to be used and how to orient said pieces

/rant

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 05-05-2020 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #50
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:

I emailed on their website, described my vehicle, what I purchased, and what I need help with

I go proactive, and provide a few pictures of possible ways to set up the hardware

I sent a picture of the hardware bag, and asked what to do with the 2 long coarse threaded bolts. I show a piece of plastic where oem intercooelr mounted and asked if I should trim due to Vrsf provided brackets not seating flush (NOTE: I also asked in a fb group for another opinion)

So far:

-I wont bother speaking much about the welds and bent fins, I believe that topic has been discussed many times in the past
-I scratch my head as to why bags of hardware is provided (with no instruction) and the user is to determine which pieces are to be discarded and which to be used and how to orient said pieces

/rant
We attempted to communicate with you via e-mail but you ignored our support team and resorted to posting on the forums as well as facebook groups. It's clear you're not looking for support, you're looking to create as many negative shill posts as possible.

If you're dissatisfied with the product, please respond back via e-mail and we'll set you up with an RMA. The last thing we want is an enthusiast to have a less than stellar experience with our products.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #51
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did recently install ftp boost and charge pipes. Nothing at this moment is complete or tightened down as of yet

I recently purchased from x-ph (las vegas based) but the box shows it shipped from Miami, directly from vrsf. My guess is, it is not the older version ... unless they had old ones and sent me an old one

pdubq , more details please , on what was trimmed on the pass side. thank you
Sorry you’re so frustrated evilchargerfan... wish I had the time, energy, tools, and did it myself, to provide more guidance. But my mechanic didn’t have to do anything custom besides the plastic trim.

Sorry this is the best pic I got, but I posted in another thread:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712087

Hopefully you can make out what got trimmed, based on knowing shot was taken from front passenger side lower grill, and getting bearings based on VRSF logo on the fmic.

Mines paired with vrsf Charge pipe and vrsf catted downpipe as well. End result is pure awesomeness.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #52
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We attempted to communicate with you via e-mail but you ignored our support team and resorted to posting on the forums as well as facebook groups. It's clear you're not looking for support, you're looking to create as many negative shill posts as possible.

If you're dissatisfied with the product, please respond back via e-mail and we'll set you up with an RMA. The last thing we want is an enthusiast to have a less than stellar experience with our products.

this is FALSE (screen shots can be provided for those who need proof, with time stamps)

the purpose of asking for help over email + fb was to increase visibility

I never once "IGNORED" anyone, esp the people whom I seek support from. every time you emailed, I responded. even on the fb post where you told me to check my email, I replied and thanked you

the negativity (more like my disappointment) did not root its head until your last email ... which had a very negative tone, which took place at 11:40 am pst

moving forward, you wont hear from me again, as any attempt for help has been met with very vague responses, sometimes ignoring portions of a question, and false claims of my actions as doing anything deceitful
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #53
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

pdubq

That actually helps alot, now I know to look above the "SF" and trim

Dont be sorry, its not your fault

I'm more disappointed than anything else. I was actually going to buy their DP as well, and a stencil so I can paint "V R S F" on the front to show off the brand.

I'm low on energy now as a result of this experience with their support team, and the excitement of all of this has gone away
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #54
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
pdubq

That actually helps alot, now I know to look above the "SF" and trim

Dont be sorry, its not your fault

I'm more disappointed than anything else. I was actually going to buy their DP as well, and a stencil so I can paint "V R S F" on the front to show off the brand.

I'm low on energy now as a result of this experience with their support team, and the excitement of all of this has gone away
Awesome! Hopefully you get it installed and happy with it!

I sort of suspect they’re facing covid issues, or growth issues... I was stoked they shipped everything so quickly, bummed a bit that they sent the catless dp’s instead of catted, stoked they sent the proper catted ones so quickly when I contacted them, as soon as I had a tracking number for them on the return, bummed when I found they never sent the stencil I ordered,... finally stoked to drive the end result, lol!

I never let them know about the stencil, figured it was $10 and everyone’s facing challenges these days... also didn’t want to wait to paint the logo before having it installed.

I’m really hoping the bit my pic Shows is the missing clue that gets you all bolted back up!!

Also eager to hear if you can feel any improvement from just fmic without dp’s, since I had mine done all together.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #55
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

I get proactive, and provide a few pictures of possible ways to set up the hardware

So far:

/rant
That's some pretty crappy customer support out of them. I was about to go to their website but after reading their replies to you, I don't want anything to do with them, thanks for posting.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #56
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To be clear guys, I never intended to start a war with them.

I have seen Tiago defend the brand on various fb groups. They get bashed a lot, for welds, bent fins, etc. (fwiw, mine showed up with not so awesome welds and a few bent fins, but it didnt upset me at all). I do empathize for them when I see this stuff happen.

Being accused of doing things I did not do, did not sit well with me. Moving forward, I wont invest anymore energy into the brand, and I will refrain from speaking the 4 letters that make up their company (my guess is they are respected on these boards, and I dont want to step on anyone's toes)

For those of you who followed my progress on the charge pipe install, I went in with high hopes and excitement. Now all of that is lost. And right now I stare at my car thinking ... "should I just toss the oem FMIC back on and just be done with it?" ... which is a rather sad sad outcome, and prevents me from finishing up my goal of going stg 2

Well, good news is, I can now turn my attn towards that coolant hose I broke and work on that! lol

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 05-05-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #57
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Awesome! Hopefully you get it installed and happy with it!

I sort of suspect they’re facing covid issues, or growth issues... I was stoked they shipped everything so quickly, bummed a bit that they sent the catless dp’s instead of catted, stoked they sent the proper catted ones so quickly when I contacted them, as soon as I had a tracking number for them on the return, bummed when I found they never sent the stencil I ordered,... finally stoked to drive the end result, lol!

I never let them know about the stencil, figured it was $10 and everyone’s facing challenges these days... also didn’t want to wait to paint the logo before having it installed.

I’m really hoping the bit my pic Shows is the missing clue that gets you all bolted back up!!

Also eager to hear if you can feel any improvement from just fmic without dp’s, since I had mine done all together.
Shoot over your order number and we'll get a stencil sent out ASAP. Surprisingly we've been busier than ever with the recent stimulus and now that all the drop shippers are temporarily out of business but it has been a stress test for sure.

Our support team is ready to help with any issues that may arise, please contact support@vr-speed.com directly with any concerns.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #58
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
That's some pretty crappy customer support out of them. I was about to go to their website but after reading their replies to you, I don't want anything to do with them, thanks for posting.
I'm sorry to hear that but I can understand where you're coming from when reading a one sided conversation that was cherry picked in order to favor the OP. With that said, we're uninterested in participating in public disputes with our customers simply because it's our goal to make sure they have a positive experience with our products.

We'd love the opportunity to change your mind. If there are any items you're interested in, please contact us directly and we'll be more than happy to ensure you have a pleasant experience shopping with us.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #59
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Shoot over your order number and we'll get a stencil sent out ASAP. Surprisingly we've been busier than ever with the recent stimulus and now that all the drop shippers are temporarily out of business but it has been a stress test for sure.

Our support team is ready to help with any issues that may arise, please contact support@vr-speed.com directly with any concerns.
Thanks Tiago! I sent my order number to that email.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #60
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that but I can understand where you're coming from when reading a one sided conversation that was cherry picked in order to favor the OP. With that said, we're uninterested in participating in public disputes with our customers simply because it's our goal to make sure they have a positive experience with our products.

We'd love the opportunity to change your mind. If there are any items you're interested in, please contact us directly and we'll be more than happy to ensure you have a pleasant experience shopping with us.
Interesting you state the OP's post was cherry picked. I don't believe it was but if you would like to supply the "full" version of the story, I'll read it.

The replies I read from your company when someone who did buy from you needed help would have made me regret buying from you. By the way, when I am in the midst of a project and have my car torn apart and need help, I also submit help requests via multiple media, especially when the supplier replies..."Unfortunately we do not have pictures available at the moment but there are few DIY's available on the forums." where the supplier obviously knows of such DIY's but doesn't bother pointing to them and to have placed parts in the kit that are not required on all installs without so much as a sheet explaining when/when not required goes well with your other replies.

If you would really like to improve the situation, then just make it right for the OP and once I read the OP's post confirming it, I may reconsider. Otherwise, I'm done on this topic.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #61
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Interesting you state the OP's post was cherry picked. I don't believe it was but if you would like to supply the "full" version of the story, I'll read it.

The replies I read from your company when someone who did buy from you needed help would have made me regret buying from you. By the way, when I am in the midst of a project and have my car torn apart and need help, I also submit help requests via multiple media, especially when the supplier replies..."Unfortunately we do not have pictures available at the moment but there are few DIY's available on the forums." where the supplier obviously knows of such DIY's but doesn't bother pointing to them and to have placed parts in the kit that are not required on all installs without so much as a sheet explaining when/when not required goes well with your other replies.

If you would really like to improve the situation, then just make it right for the OP and once I read the OP's post confirming it, I may reconsider. Otherwise, I'm done on this topic.
FWIW, when I contacted support about the wrong part being received I received a response very rapidly, and new part shipped out next day. I found their support staff to be friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Part was received with no bent fins, securely packaged, no issues.

Would it be more helpful if they included step-by-step DIY guides for each model their part fits? Certainly... the aFe magnum intake has that, despite being markedly simpler to install. I reckon there’s a disclaimer somewhere recommending professional installation, and that they aren’t tailoring to DIY-ers so much as they are offering quality products at a quite reasonable value.

I don’t know, not to knock on anyone’s weekend-wrench-wielder abilities here, but sometimes there is also extreme value in supporting your local expert mechanic and allowing them to do what they do best? I’ve done brakes, intakes, struts and springs, waste-gate adjustments... and I’d love to have time to resume those adventures again some day. Nevertheless, it was worth every penny of the $225 or so my mechanic charged for the charge-pipe and FMIC install to not have to stress it, not have any question about fitment or missing an issue with the after-market product trained eyes could catch, and have that work and everything else I needed done in a day. But to each his own, right?

All I know is that for my BMW mechanic, it was an unremarkable installation with no issues.

And I guess there’s other options out there, like ARM Motorsports, no idea good or not: https://www.armmotorsports.com/ARM-F...-p/f25fmic.htm they’re installation info looks like it mentioned the 1”x3” plastic bit that needs shaving off, I’d be curious if they provide more detailed info on that.

All I know is for my future mods, I’ll be shopping at VRSF first, based on my experience. (Except AR Design... their products are also AWESOME, gorgeous, and they’re local to Colorado, but dang they’re expensive, and don’t think they have a F25 catted option). Then again, I’m blessed to have an expert mechanic that is also a really generous, honest, and realizes for his business to be successful he needs to be concerned about the client relationship, (long game), more than making as much as he can on each job. So I actually get happy when my car needs servicing, so I get to hang out there for a bit and take one of his old 200k+ Mile loaners for the day .
      05-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #62
BrandonMllr
Rep
Drives: BMW 1series F52

the brackets are very cool, I recommend it to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #63
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

pdubq

I wont quote post 61, as it is lengthy and I think this thread has been derailed enough

I am genuinely happy to hear about your good experience with the brand. I can only dream of getting a similar outcome. Life isnt fair right?

In regards to your words about knocking others abilities.... I am reading that its not meant to target anyone .... but I do feel a little targeted. But that's okay, lets keep things positive in here and not derail further. To be fair, for some tasks that I deem "too much" for myself, like a clutch job, I do pay a mechanic friend. Sadly, all of my mechanics are either at local Subaru, or Toyota dealers. I've yet to meet a BMW one I can build trust with.

Agreed on the "to each their own" statement. Some people just like to do their own work, (case and point, my brake job was a very fulfilling experience) some do it to save money. Some people value their time and pay a pro, or simply make alot of income and prefer paying a pro ... for the record, I respect those who do this as I presume they make a ton more income than I do and I am envious.

Hats off to your mechanic btw, he probably figured out a way to do whats needed to the brackets to make it all fit (per the fb groups, people just slot the holes a little and from there, its easy. I wish I stumbled upon that info sooner).

There is room for other brands, I think competition is healthy. Best of luck with your future mods, and I will be looking at ARM and other brands
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #64
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Evilchargerfan, my bad... I could have chosen my words more carefully, (like when some one leads with “no offense”, you know that follows will be offensive).

I hope you accept my apology, I’d hate to foster ill will here with you and other fellow enthusiasts!

And you’re right... my goal wasn’t to criticize or upset, but really was only to provide balanced experience for folks reading this in the future and debating on vrsf as an option. As forum culture can quickly become one sided, swaying enthusiasts decisions, and be hurtful to businesses... (else Tiago wouldn’t be wasting his time here)

I totally agree, people DIY for many reasons! I wish I had the time for it. Also feel for you on local mech. Had it not been for mine, I was going to leave Bmw family FOR GOOD after having a 2016 320i lease, and being really underwhelmed with build quality.

All that said... assuming you’re in SD area... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look up Rathmann Auto Works, Erik Rathmann’s shop. Used to be in Poway /scripps Ranch area. He’s an INCREDIBLE mechanic, loves doing custom stuff and challenging stuff, tends to avoid oil changes and standard maintenance when he can.

He did a bunch for my E60 535i years ago, including an incredible stealth methanol tank/cover in the trunk, custom exhaust and custom tips, turbo rebuild, quite a long list.

He’s an Alpha Romeo and Ferrari specialist, but familiar with Bmw and other brands as well, but he’s incredible at what he does.

Last edited by pdubq; 05-08-2020 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #65
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No hard feelings at all. We've gotten along handsomely before, lets keep the positive going!

Man, talk about small world ... Scripps Ranch is where I am from, and I still work in Poway.... those 2 areas are, for all intents and purposes, "my stomping grounds".

Just googled Rathmann Auto Works, 5 stars on google/5 stars on fb/5 stars on yelp ... color me impressed. And hes located near Costco, where I pump my gas 90% of the time. I think this guy can be my "go to guy".

OKAY ... back to the thread everyone. Sorry for going off topic
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #66
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No hard feelings at all. We've gotten along handsomely before, lets keep the positive going!

Man, talk about small world ... Scripps Ranch is where I am from, and I still work in Poway.... those 2 areas are, for all intents and purposes, "my stomping grounds".

Just googled Rathmann Auto Works, 5 stars on google/5 stars on fb/5 stars on yelp ... color me impressed. And hes located near Costco, where I pump my gas 90% of the time. I think this guy can be my "go to guy".

OKAY ... back to the thread everyone. Sorry for going off topic
Very small world!! In case you ever ate at P&V Thai Cafe, on Poway Rd, down the hill, my wife and I founded that and ran it for 4 years back in 2009
Appreciate 1