BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

Tire & Wheel Insurance on Your X3MC?

Hi guys,
a buddy of mine is grabbing an X3MC this weekend, he's on the fence about the tire & wheel insurance. I personally have an M4 ZCP with the 666M rims, and it's a necessity for that car.

Have you guys found yourselves going thru rims & or tires frequently? or is the profile high enough?
I've never needed tire & rim insurance on a normal BMW or SUVs. Not sure about this one with the 21" rims. Seems like it would be needed.

He lives in NC for what its worth, not sure how good/bad the roads are down there. They absolutely suck here in the NJ/NY area. Too many potholes to count, and too many debris that will give you flats.
Life is too short to list the non Ms
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I'm in NY and I didn't get it. This is another way for the dealer to make money.

If you get a nail, it can be repaired with a patch/plug for $20. I find that there is much more sidewall than my E46 M3 which I did manage to bend a wheel and split the sidewall on the tire.

But when you look at how much the insurance costs vs. the likelihood of needing it vs actual repair costs vs the ability to invest that money elsewhere, I do not think it is a good value.

Same with all extended warranties. I've seen posts of people saying they were so happy their $1500 repair was covered, meanwhile they spent $2500 on the warranty plus interest of the life of the loan so they actually lost money.

I drive to avoid potholes and slow down when I don't have the option to avoid. Sometimes they catch you by surprise too but I've found the sidewall is fairly thick in this size.

I think the more prudent option would be the spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
EvilEmpirE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant, Porsche 993, M2

If you are careful like most drivers who’ve had lowered cars and big wheels/low profile tires....you should be able to easily maneuver and avoid any issues. We declined it on ours and I’m in the NJ/NYC area. I’ve had big wheels 21” on our previous Q7 and the SUV 21’s have way more “meat“ and “cushion” than say a sedan/coupe on 19s. Having 21s is like having 17’s....meaning you really should be more than fine unless you are just blatantly ignorant or don’t give a sh*t.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
I purchased it but I work in construction and visit several sites daily. I will get nails and they won't always be in a repairable place so I found it worth it. My policy also covers cosmetic damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I also live in NYC where the roads are shit and I turned it down. I purchased the tire and wheel protection for my M3 and quickly learned what a joke it is.

It's a third party insurance program that will literally do anything not to cover a claim. I hit a pot hole that bent two wheels. It was clear they were out-of-round. The adjuster went to the dealer to inspect the wheels and insisted that there needs to be visible impact (not just a bend) then denied the claim. WTF? I called the service manager and told them that if the bend wasn't a caused by an impact, then they must be defective and should be replaced by BMW. After a series of 10+ calls going back and forth, they finally called the insurance company who ended up paying for them.

Fast forward 6 months later when a screw punctured the tire and wouldn't hold air, they offered to plug the tire, not replace it like the dealer said when they sold me the coverage

Don't waste your money. Honestly, if I run over debris or pot hole that causes bent rims. I'll pay out of pocket or file a comprehensive loss on my auto insurance
Appreciate 0