BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

DIY Install Guide - P3 V3 OBD2 Gauge for F9X & G0X X3M / X4M / X3 M40i / X4 M40i

After finally bringing these things to market for the X3/X4 I figured why not show you guys how to install them too.

First, the product page incase you want to get one: https://www.p3cars.com/bmw/p3-v3-obd...9x-gauge-2018/

The install is super simple.

Tools Required

- Plastic trim removal tool
- Small pick tool or flathead screwdriver
- A few small zip ties
- A piece of double sided tape

That's it LOL.

1. Start by removing the weather stripping near the dash area. Just give it a gently pull and it will come right off.

2. Using a trim tool, pry around the side dash panel and pull it towards the rear of the vehicle. There are 4 clips on the backside holding it into place.

Note: there is a flap at the top that tucks behind the A pillar trim. When reinstalling make sure to insert this first. Pics show below.

4. Using your trim tool, gently pry under the silver trim, at the bottom side of the vent. There are two clips that will disengage and the then work your way up the side of the vent near the door. It may take a little pressure. Gently pull the vent out and there will be a wire connect to the back side.

5. Disconnect the wire plugged into the rear of the vent and remove. You can use a cloth and needle nose pliers and it will pop free.

6. For the next steps on installing the LCD screen into the vent I followed P3's guide which can be shown and linked here.

Note: There is an error on step 5b. Rather than using the front peg for the top slat, you will need to use the peg on the end.

Getting all 6 clips free at once can be tricky. I found it easiest to start with the bottom 2 and free those, then with one hand gently pulling on the bottom to keep those free, work the side ones from the bottom corner up. The last two push clips on the right side are tough. I found it easier to just pull and prepare for the slats to explode out lmao. Make sure all other 4 clips are free before pulling.

7. Now it's time to install the wiring harnesses. Luckily there is a straight shot to the OBD port so I fished the OBD connector up through the hole. I used a piece of tape to secure the wires at the desired length that I wanted the OBD cable to hang. I use my OBD port for various things so this will get disconnected frequently and I didnt' want it hanging down to the floor.

8. Reinstall the vent and gauge while routing the plug for the screen along the left hand side. Connect both the OBD and screen connectors into the P3 box. I used double sided tape to secure it to the topside of the cubby under the dash. There is a perfect shelf to sit it on. Tidy up the wires and tug them into the side of the compartment out of the way.

9. Reinstall the side panel on the dash making sure the top flap by the A pillar is tucked behind then reinstall your weather stripping and you are done!

Piece of cake ha.

Configuring the Gauge

The gauge needs to be configured for our cars. I noticed my gauge was already pre-configured. The full guide can be found here but these are the configurations for our cars.

https://www.p3gauges.com/v3-install/

Boost Settings (bSt.X): bSt.F - Intake MAP Sensor B58/S58
cc.X Settings: cc.F

There are a ton of features and readouts for this thing. You can customize what you want displayed, remove anything you don't etc. I recommend reading through this guide and keep it handy because if you're like me I quickly forget what each button and holding does lol.

Lastly, our vehicles have something called an OBD alarm. If the car is locked and with something plugged into the OBD port that is pulling power or data, it will sound the alarm.

To get around this you can:

- Wait 30 seconds before locking the vehicle so the computers are in sleep mode.
- Code the OBD alarm to off via Bimmercode or other software.

With Bimmercode, access the Roof Function Center FZD_08 Module -> OBD Alarm -> set to Not Active. (Active will be shown as default)

Now you're good to go, enjoy!!

Last edited by BrockDM; 09-10-2023 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
Max Well4787.00
Dawgz1016.00
      09-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Thank you!
Appreciate 0