BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2024, 11:44 AM   #67
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
Took mine in today for the loctite fix. I had to share the BMW TI document with the service agent. They took the car in for the day to perform other checks, then later on came back with the below :-) The special glue will take six weeks to arrive, coming from Germany.

Reading all these threads about the clicking makes me wonder. How many of these are a side effect of doing the diff bolt fix? You're dropping the diff which means you're putting stress on the shafts. I wonder if dropping the entire thing (diffs and shafts) will help avoid the issue all together?

I'm hesitant to do the diff bolt fix and have the shaft/spline issue come up, because the dealer will see the mod on the diff and automatically deny the fix for the clicking.

I am planning on doing the JXB carrier upgrade at the same time, hence my idea of having the shop drop everything and keep it aligned while they do the work.

Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:46 PM   #68
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
[QUOTE="TacosRule!;31093091"]Reading all these threads about the clicking makes me wonder. How many of these are a side effect of doing the diff bolt fix? You're dropping the diff which means you're putting stress on the shafts. I wonder if dropping the entire thing (diffs and shafts) will help avoid the issue all together?

I'm hesitant to do the diff bolt fix and have the shaft/spline issue come up, because the dealer will see the mod on the diff and automatically deny the fix for the clicking.

I am planning on doing the JXB carrier upgrade at the same time, hence my idea of having the shop drop everything and keep it aligned while they do the work.

Opinions?

Sound logical to me. Waiting to see how you resolve it without the Einhorn kit.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2024, 02:25 AM   #69
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post

Opinions?

I've heard that JXB unit is pretty awesome.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 4
Jnat417.50
      04-23-2024, 07:59 AM   #70
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
Reading all these threads about the clicking makes me wonder. How many of these are a side effect of doing the diff bolt fix? You're dropping the diff which means you're putting stress on the shafts. I wonder if dropping the entire thing (diffs and shafts) will help avoid the issue all together?

Opinions?
Sounds logical.. my car is still stock hence going for the loctite fix for now. Let us know when you install the JBX..
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 08:18 AM   #71
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post

I'll be doing the vargas kit. I love the british one but i find it hard to justify the price for what is essentially 90% of the vargas kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:56 AM   #72
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Also interested to see the thoughts back on the JXB carrier!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 11:04 AM   #73
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Installed the Vargas rear diff bolt solution only, it was straight forward. Haven't launched yet but i am getting a clunk drive to reverse and vice versa and i didn't drop the diff any so i don't think it's the driveshaft spline issue unless i'm just that unlucky (which is possible).
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 04:45 PM   #74
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M (Pre-LCI)

I had the JXB installed and noticed improvement in the drivetrain responsiveness. There's no more 'dead' feeling when accelerating so it feels more immediate. I had it and the VTT full lockdown kit installed at the same time so can't comment on NVH from just the JXB. But my current VTT full lockdown kit with the JXB has less NVH than just the Einhorn solid bushing which I had installed prior. Nothing wrong with the Einhorn though - just a bit too loud with the clunks than I'd like. You can't go wrong with either solution in all fairness but sadly I fell into the trap of "no NVH..etc" that was being plastered everywhere for the solid bushing but should have trusted my gut and avoided in the first place. Clunk will re-appear even with the VTT kit even though you don't drop the diff but you're adding a solid connection back to the subframe so any noise/vibration IS going to get back into the cabin - no escaping that.
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2024, 06:31 PM   #75
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep

Well i guess it's a trade off for some safety/piece of mind.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 07:21 PM   #76
Bimma360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, E36 M3

I installed the VTT diff lockdown unit this weekend. I have a lot to say, and will do a full write up very soon. The short of it for now is, the NVH isn't bad but even so it's not what I want on this car. So I have something else on the way.
Appreciate 2
Jnat417.50
      04-23-2024, 07:59 PM   #77
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
I installed the VTT diff lockdown unit this weekend. I have a lot to say, and will do a full write up very soon. The short of it for now is, the NVH isn't bad but even so it's not what I want on this car. So I have something else on the way.

Looking forward to the report.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:00 PM   #78
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///LBB Rav View Post
Clunk will re-appear even with the VTT kit even though you don't drop the diff but you're adding a solid connection back to the subframe so any noise/vibration IS going to get back into the cabin - no escaping that.

You mean the clunk from the splines?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:06 PM   #79
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You mean the clunk from the splines?
Tbh I’m not sure where from as I had the splines loctite’d before the einhorn went in and the clunk appeared. I reverted to oem after the Einhorn and the clunk/clicking disappeared again completely. The dealer did not re-do the loctite after reinstalling an oem bushing. So the oem bushing is still installed with vtt kit and clunk is back so I’m thinking that because the rear end is locked in again, that any driveshaft noise (tcase end or rear diff end) are being transferred through as noise mostly (can’t really feel the click)
Appreciate 1
Jnat417.50
      04-23-2024, 11:15 PM   #80
D-Pat Murph
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3Mc

Garage List
2022 BMW X3Mc  [0.00]
Quote:
I bought custom exhaust tips from these guys and their workmanship is absolutely top notch. I am gonna start conversations about this kit.
It is pricey but seems to be more logical than the solid einhorn.

https://www.fjmotorwerkes.net/produc...fj-motorwerkes
Did you purchase this kit? If so, any feedback? I’ve already snapped my bolt and it broke my axle. Luckily they warrnitied it. I’m going stage 2 now with a warranty and just don’t want to see the bolt snap again with the added power.
2001 M3 -sold
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 04:38 AM   #81
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
I don't have the complete kit, just the infamous bolt mod from VTT and i def have a clunk. I guessing it's because the bushing is more solid now with the insert and that's the trade off. If it holds and the bolt doesn't snap i'll take the trade.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:16 AM   #82
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
Tbh I’m not sure where from as I had the splines loctite’d before the einhorn went in and the clunk appeared. I reverted to oem after the Einhorn and the clunk/clicking disappeared again completely. The dealer did not re-do the loctite after reinstalling an oem bushing. So the oem bushing is still installed with vtt kit and clunk is back so I’m thinking that because the rear end is locked in again, that any driveshaft noise (tcase end or rear diff end) are being transferred through as noise mostly (can’t really feel the click)
It would be good if the loctite was reapplied as we would know if it really does work. You'd probably have to wait 6 weeks for it though
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #83
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I really am on the fence on this now. I think your experience confirms suspicions of any aftermarket solution will induce unwanted noise

Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 11:37 AM   #84
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Pat Murph View Post
Did you purchase this kit? If so, any feedback? I’ve already snapped my bolt and it broke my axle. Luckily they warrnitied it. I’m going stage 2 now with a warranty and just don’t want to see the bolt snap again with the added power.

No, im debating to get the vargas. The brit version is too expensive for what it is IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 01:25 PM   #85
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep

Quote:
This imo is correct.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 02:04 PM   #86
Y0jjimb0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3, '20 F97 X3M

Quote:
So the einhorn with probably clunk regardless of whether the splines are loctited?

I'm wondering if I should I have the loctite fix done anyway, as a safety measure to protect the driveshaft, even if it won't get rid of the clunk.

It sounds like the clunk just an inevitable byproduct of having a secure diff.
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2024, 02:21 PM   #87
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0jjimb0 View Post
So the einhorn with probably clunk regardless of whether the splines are loctited?

I'm wondering if I should I have the loctite fix done anyway, as a safety measure to protect the driveshaft, even if it won't get rid of the clunk.

It sounds like the clunk just an inevitable byproduct of having a secure diff.
Yeah spot on mate! I’d say get a diff solution first and then do the loctite to minimise the amount of noise that will come in. The BMW mechanics did actually say that the solid einhorn wasn’t causing any damage to the transfer case and more recently a guy called Rob pulled apart his rear diff to inspect and it seemed like it was doing well too. Based on everything I’ve read, there’s no perfect solution for everyone. I was going to try Clint’s solution (Rennfix) but it sounded like a pita to have to cut the inner collar. The VTT kit is by far the least onerous / labour intensive solution and for me it just works. For now, I’m happy with where things are at with the car and mods to now start tuning.
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2024, 02:33 PM   #88
///LBB Rav
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
It would be good if the loctite was reapplied as we would know if it really does work. You'd probably have to wait 6 weeks for it though
I thought about asking them to re-do it but interestingly after the Einhorn was removed and they put in the new oem bushing, there was no clunk or clicking at all, as they had done the loctite to fix the click before I installed the Einhorn. So I suspect that the loctite on the splines was still holding okay given I had no clicking after OEM bushing was reinstalled after the Einhorn was removed. A little while after the VTT kit was installed, the clunk came back and I know that the diff was hardly moved up to install the VTT inserts so doubt that it would have broken that loctite bond. But now you’ve got me thinking and potentially will book it in again to get it re-done anyway - no harm in it!
Appreciate 2
Y0jjimb0250.00