BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
michaelalex3
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E61 535i M-Sport

How do these cars hold up at higher mileage? (80k+)

So I found an F25 kind of close to me that seems promising, and has all of the options I want (35i, m-sport, DHP, tech package, etc), but it's at 80k miles. While I certainly could try to wait for a lower mileage example to come up, it may take a while given my requirements (MY14+ and options listed above). So my question is, will I likely run into a lot of problems between 80k and 100k if I do buy this car? Obviously previous maintenance is important, so let's assume this car has been adequately maintained. I'm not afraid to put money into the car, but I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of having lots of repairs done. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has a higher mileage F25. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Depending on the history of the previous repairs, if you don't do your own work, it's possible to spend $2000-$5000 on repairs before 100k. Previous maintenance and repairs are 2 different things. You're right though, finding something with those options may be rare, especially DHP.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

My 13 35i is about to hit 88k. Overall no major issues, just the common problems. Such as valve cover gasket, ofhg, water pump, thermostat etc... besides that and basic maintenance. No issues at all. Buuuuut, I took a look at my bushings in the rear and they are starting to look pretty worn. Had the car at the dealer months ago to fix an evap check engine that bmw has under warranty and they showed me a video of my front control arm bushings and they are starting to go bad. I hear a clunk when I go over speed bumps. All in all I am pretty confident I will need to replace front and rear suspension including the struts fairly soon. Combined front and rear suspension parts came out to roughly $2k on parts alone through fcpeuro. Have not even looked at the struts yet.

Sure it's expensive and if nobody has replaced suspension parts on the suv, they are going to need to be addressed sooner or later. You'll be good for another 80k-100k miles though.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i M | 09 Mazda RX8 R3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex3 View Post
So I found an F25 kind of close to me that seems promising, and has all of the options I want (35i, m-sport, DHP, tech package, etc), but it's at 80k miles. While I certainly could try to wait for a lower mileage example to come up, it may take a while given my requirements (MY14+ and options listed above). So my question is, will I likely run into a lot of problems between 80k and 100k if I do buy this car? Obviously previous maintenance is important, so let's assume this car has been adequately maintained. I'm not afraid to put money into the car, but I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of having lots of repairs done. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has a higher mileage F25. Thanks!
We just went through the same thing and I compiled some of my notes and findings in this thread https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803576

Like others mentioned the common problems seem to be:
Valve Cover, Oil Filter Housing and Oil Pan Gaskets
Water Pump/Reservoir Leaks

I think the best insurance would be to take any car you are looking at seriously for a PPI to a reputable bmw indy. They will check for leaks which can be costly. Also great to use said things as negotiation ammo if they find them.

Ours only has 75,000K KMS and has already been through a water pump replacement, reservoir replacement and the oil pan is oh so slightly leaking (will get addressed down the road if it gets bad)

As for maintenance history, see if any of the above has already been addressed - because that means you're probably good on those items for awhile
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Get a pre purchase inspection done- money VERY well spent when buying any used Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

I purchased my 2012 35i with 110k.

My car was purchased with no PPI (I dont recommend this) and with no maint history (something else i dont recommend). For me, it made sense to buy as I do most of my own maint/repairs and I used the above as bargaining chips and purchased the vehicle well below market value.

Over 1.5 years of ownership and 14k miles, Ive put about $2400 in maint into it. I should be "good" to 180k if not 200k... until it needs anything major

As the other have mentioned, lots of common things to address and these cars are mostly reliable

-Valve Cover Gasket
-Oil Filter Housing Gasket
-Water Pump
-T Stat
-Spark Plugs
-Ignition Coils
-Belt + Tensioner + Idler Pulley + Bolt
-ZF Trans Fluid / Trans Pan Filter
-Diff fluids (front & rear)
-Transfer Case Fluid
-The random brittle hose/fitting that just happens here and there (coolant expansion hose, crank case breather hose,"mickey mouse" coolant flange)
-Oil changes (I chose 6k OCI's)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #7
ryuflatron
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 28i xDrive

I got a 2014 N20 with 162k KMs ~ 100k Miles. Not sure how the previous owner treated my x3, but I already changed the differentials fluid, transfer case, tranny fluid and filter with original parts, a circuit board for tail led light. The car still runs with original timing chain and guides, no sign of crack but the valve cover/ gasket is leaking due to I saw a small built up residue on one side of the engine block. Have not decided to change the valve cover/ gasket or save up some more and let the next owner do it. Otherwise, everything is fine, even the ford dealer thought that my x3 has a failed odometer because they barely see any 100k miles still running strong like mine
Appreciate 0