BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

X3M Test Drive

I drove one today, since the M340i lease offer that I got was pretty much the same as X3M lease offer for some reason. So why not jump to M right?

The car I drove had every option checked except for the competition package. It had a great combo with dark graphite paint, Shakir orange seats. Just seeing the car, I was almost convinced I was gonna sign it. The interior is great - very familiar coming from 540i. The seats are nice, the engine sounds great. The steering is awesome, maybe even better than my M4 used to be: very sharp, fast, direct, nicely weighted. Engine sound is also great; it pulls like a freight train and drives like a sports car. (the sound is an absolutely huge improvement over S55 which is the worst sounding BMW I6 ever IMO). It's sharp, fast, beautiful in and out, well built, practical. Would be an absolutely perfect family car, for an enthusiast who wants to give more headroom and glass roof to his kids, but also looking to have a great driving experience. And I could just drive the car off the lot today, and I'd pay less monthly than I do for my 540i.

But I didn't. Even though I heard all about the stiff ride in the reviews, I was under the impression: "Well, they called M4 stiff too, and it wasn't that bad." I also thought it was about expectations: You expect an SUV to be a little softer, so maybe that surprise factor influenced reviewers. But no. They're all right. I don't think I've ever had such a harsh ride in any stock car I've driven including E92 M3, and F82. Even in comfort mode, It's stiffer than anything I've driven. It's jarring, tiring, and it's never saddled. It's absolutely amazing when you're on the open road and pushing to the higher revs (I did that too) bit that's about it. F82 was amazing on open roads, but the setup was also fine (although not perfect - doesn't need to be) in the city, in stop and go traffic and over potholes. But this one, is completely unlivable if you're not in a place with the smoothest of the roads. Even on smooth asphalt, it keeps bouncing! Even my wife - who was trying to convince me to buy this car - was stunned how bad the ride was.

Sorry, but this is seriously an epic fail in my book. This car is a wasted opportunity. If it had a decent ride in comfort mode, even something like M4, it would be the perfect SUV for many people. But I drove it for an hour, and I simply didn't even want to drive it anymore. You might not care about harsh ride, but if you're looking to buy this car without a test drive, keep this in mind.

One thing though: The new M3 with this engine, and new front end design will be AMAZING.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 3
j080808129.00
stein_325i25172.00
Alias1431799.50
      06-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
I'm surprised by all the complaints around the X3M (I have an X3MC BTW) suspension. I'm coming from an RS3 and the X3MC is soft compared to that car. I wish it was stiffer. Maybe people expect a plush ride from an SUV?
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7842.50
      06-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
I'm surprised by all the complaints around the X3M (I have an X3MC BTW) suspension. I'm coming from an RS3 and the X3MC is soft compared to that car. I wish it was stiffer. Maybe people expect a plush ride from an SUV?
Haha, I agree. People are so soft these days. Come on, dude, give your burger-fed tuchus some proper training with this M car!
Appreciate 6
robopp1730.50
sd306380.50
FrankieNuo1292.50
      06-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I drove one today, since the M340i lease offer that I got was pretty much the same as X3M lease offer for some reason. So why not jump to M right?

The car I drove had every option checked except for the competition package. It had a great combo with dark graphite paint, Shakir orange seats. Just seeing the car, I was almost convinced I was gonna sign it. The interior is great - very familiar coming from 540i. The seats are nice, the engine sounds great. The steering is awesome, maybe even better than my M4 used to be: very sharp, fast, direct, nicely weighted. Engine sound is also great; it pulls like a freight train and drives like a sports car. (the sound is an absolutely huge improvement over S55 which is the worst sounding BMW I6 ever IMO). It's sharp, fast, beautiful in and out, well built, practical. Would be an absolutely perfect family car, for an enthusiast who wants to give more headroom and glass roof to his kids, but also looking to have a great driving experience. And I could just drive the car off the lot today, and I'd pay less monthly than I do for my 540i.

But I didn't. Even though I heard all about the stiff ride in the reviews, I was under the impression: "Well, they called M4 stiff too, and it wasn't that bad." I also thought it was about expectations: You expect an SUV to be a little softer, so maybe that surprise factor influenced reviewers. But no. They're all right. I don't think I've ever had such a harsh ride in any stock car I've driven including E92 M3, and F82. Even in comfort mode, It's stiffer than anything I've driven. It's jarring, tiring, and it's never saddled. It's absolutely amazing when you're on the open road and pushing to the higher revs (I did that too) bit that's about it. F82 was amazing on open roads, but the setup was also fine (although not perfect - doesn't need to be) in the city, in stop and go traffic and over potholes. But this one, is completely unlivable if you're not in a place with the smoothest of the roads. Even on smooth asphalt, it keeps bouncing! Even my wife - who was trying to convince me to buy this car - was stunned how bad the ride was.

Sorry, but this is seriously an epic fail in my book. This car is a wasted opportunity. If it had a decent ride in comfort mode, even something like M4, it would be the perfect SUV for many people. But I drove it for an hour, and I simply didn't even want to drive it anymore. You might not care about harsh ride, but if you're looking to buy this car without a test drive, keep this in mind.

One thing though: The new M3 with this engine, and new front end design will be AMAZING.
I can appreciate a Fringe fan, but cool story bro. So you didn't like it, good for you.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7842.50
      06-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
I can appreciate a Fringe fan, but cool story bro. So you didn't like it, good for you.
He also called M3’s new front end design AMAZING. I don’t know man...
Appreciate 3
forza19763405.00
FrankieNuo1292.50
      06-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
He also called M3’s new front end design AMAZING. I don’t know man...
Truth... anyone who calls that amazing immediately is questionable about all car reviews from there on out
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 6
AlexFL7842.50
dhurng408.00
FrankieNuo1292.50
Macanakey138.50
boi222190.00
      06-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #7
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
It’s not stiff in comfort mode. It’s pushing 21” rims with 40 profile tires... math and physics don’t bend.

I bet if you’d have tested the x3m non-comp with 20” wheels, with the right PSI in comfort mode, you wouldn’t have the same opinion.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7842.50
      06-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
He also called M3's new front end design AMAZING. I don't know man...
I'm just gonna say it: maybe he's a Merck troll.
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7842.50
r33_RGSport13099.50
Macanakey138.50
      06-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Maybe I need to trade in my X3MC every 5000 miles.
It gets softer than when it was new.
I wish nothing in this world get loosen up after some miles in it. ::cough::
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Contrary to what people say that BMW offers too many models/trim levels, I think this actually fortifies why they do it.... e.g. why the X3 M40i coexists with the X3M/X3MC.

SUV or not, M cars are supposed to lean more towards the realm of performance with comfort as secondary, at least from my experience with 4 of them. M Sport versions are the inverse, at least from my experience as well.

For me, the X3MC, is the ideal replacement of my F80 lease..... its a "next-gen M3 teaser" in an SUV form.

My wife (an Lexus NX200t F-Sport SUV driver) actually questioned me about the "SUV route" when going to pick up the X3MC... but, when she saw and rode in it during the test drive...she knew and understood from that point. In fact, she commented on how much more plush it was than the F80 is, but at the same time gave that M driving feel.

As point of potential bias, I have changed out to coilovers on all my M cars... ranging from HKS Hipermax RS, Bilstein PSS9, AST5200 and KW Clubsports. Partly due to wanting a lower ride height, but also also wanted something different/better tuned for my driving style. In comparison, I had springs only on an F10 535i M Sport and that was ok in Sport mode, but too soft in Comfort mode. And in all fairness, I will be installing H&R Springs on the X3MC but that is more because of a visual ride height desire.

Lastly, the stock 21" setup (std on X3MC and opt on X3M) will have an impact on the ride stiffness, not to mention proper air pressures as well....but thats with any car/SUV.

At the end of the day, it comes down to expectations and reference points...and if they really align with the perception.... sorry for the rant, there's just a few too many of this posts lately.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X

Last edited by Will Pwr; 06-22-2020 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 6
r33_RGSport13099.50
Thescout134947.00
dhurng408.00
      06-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #11
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Coming from my wife's F80 M3 and my M2C, the X3M is like driving a Rolls Royce. Obviously that is exaggeration, but man this is the smoothest ride I have had in a car in a long time.

I couldn't imagine driving a car where I couldn't feel the road surface or handle like these cars can.

I get that it's not for everyone, but it's all about where you are coming from. If all I did was drive a 540 for 3 years, yeah I get how it's stiff compared to your baseline. But OP, no way the e92 M3 was smoother. That shit almost broke my spine on a test drive back in the day, and I was coming from a heavily modded EvoX that rode hard.

But coming from any sports car/sport version of a normal car, this X4MC is an amazing ride without compromising handling. We take it every time we go drive somewhere where we know the road isn't as smooth.

Our reference point is so heavy in the M and P world, that driving any regular BMW (non-M and including "M performance models" as non-Ms) is like driving a floaty disconnected neutered shit box. I would never pay this money or close to this money for those cars anymore.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
Will Pwr748.50
      06-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #12
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
Contrary to what people say that BMW offers too many models/trim levels, I think this actually fortifies why they do it.... e.g. why the X3 M40i coexists with the X3M/X3MC.

SUV or not, M cars are supposed to lean more towards the realm of performance with comfort as secondary, at least from my experience with 4 of them. M Sport versions are the inverse, at least from my experience as well.

For me, the X3MC, is the ideal replacement of my F80 lease..... its a "next-gen M3 teaser" in an SUV form.

My wife (an Lexus NX200t F-Sport SUV driver) actually questioned me about the "SUV route" when going to pick up the X3MC... but, when she saw and rode in it during the test drive...she knew and understood from that point. In fact, she commented on how much more plush it was than the F80 is, but at the same time gave that M driving feel.

As point of potential bias, I have changed out to coilovers on all my M cars... ranging from HKS Hipermax RS, Bilstein PSS9, AST5200 and KW Clubsports. Partly due to wanting a lower ride height, but also also wanted something different/better tuned for my driving style. In comparison, I had springs only on an F10 535i M Sport and that was ok in Sport mode, but too soft in Comfort mode. And in all fairness, I will be installing H&R Springs on the X3MC but that is more because of a visual ride height desire.

Lastly, the stock 21" setup (std on X3MC and opt on X3M) will have an impact on the ride stiffness, not to mention proper air pressures as well....but thats with any car/SUV.

At the end of the day, it comes down to expectations and reference points...and if they really align with the perception.... sorry for the rant, there's just a few too many of this posts lately.
This is very well said, and like all things, it's relative.

For me, I compare this with my previous weekend/outdoor car so it does indeed feel stiffer and not as comfortable as I might have thought. But once you understand it truly is an ///M car, all of that goes away as it should.

Nothing against OP but he does sound like a band-wagoner, literally just grabbed and forwarded the only bad thing you get from reviews on this beast.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7842.50
Will Pwr748.50
      06-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I love the suspension. Reasonably comfortable to me especially compared to recent M3s. I even throw it into Sport+ suspension if I'm driving over 90 mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:04 AM   #14
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

My test drive in the X3M was a similar experience to the OP. Too firm and an engine that didnt suit an SUV (not enough low down power resulting in too many gear changes). Jumped in a m40i and thought this is exactly how a BMW SUV should be (for a family car)!

Then the figures came in and a X3M was cheaper to run than a m40i. Being the only Mcar i was likely to be able to have (family needs, cost, etc) for some time, I sat on that decision for near 1month and then thought "fook it".

It is still IMO a tad too firm for potholed streets and I havent ruled MSS springs, but overall, I am glad i made the choice........until (if) an M3 tourer comes along
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
      06-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #15
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
My test drive in the X3M was a similar experience to the OP. Too firm and an engine that didnt suit an SUV (not enough low down power resulting in too many gear changes). Jumped in a m40i and thought this is exactly how a BMW SUV should be (for a family car)!

Then the figures came in and a X3M was cheaper to run than a m40i. Being the only Mcar i was likely to be able to have (family needs, cost, etc) for some time, I sat on that decision for near 1month and then thought "fook it".

It is still IMO a tad too firm for potholed streets and I havent ruled MSS springs, but overall, I am glad i made the choice........until (if) an M3 tourer comes along
How the heck can a X3M be cheaper to run than an M40i when it costs more money and has worse fuel economy?

I've test driven a lot of BMW vehicles lately and bought an X3M40i as my daily driver. I was going to choose an X3M, but in the interest of fuel economy and having ID7 right now, I bought the M40i. I did not think the X3M had a harsh ride or I would have never considered it. There's a particular road around here I test drive a car on to know if it has a brutal ride or not. If it's going to jar my back then it's a definitely no go for me.

Rob
Appreciate 2
dhurng408.00
      06-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #16
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post

How the heck can a X3M be cheaper to run than an M40i when it costs more money and has worse fuel economy?

I've test driven a lot of BMW vehicles lately and bought an X3M40i as my daily driver. I was going to choose an X3M, but in the interest of fuel economy and having ID7 right now, I bought the M40i. I did not think the X3M had a harsh ride or I would have never considered it. There's a particular road around here I test drive a car on to know if it has a brutal ride or not. If it's going to jar my back then it's a definitely no go for me.

Rob
His dealer was likely giving him a better deal on the X3M to move units than the M40i. I don't think he literally meant cheaper MSRP or gas mileage wise.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #17
ivansis
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Suspension was my biggest worry since I didn't get a chance to test drive X3MC.
I was coming from S4 (B9) and X3M feels better IMO, - more absorption, more connected to the road but not too harsh or too stiff for a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #18
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
It’s not stiff in comfort mode. It’s pushing 21” rims with 40 profile tires... math and physics don’t bend.

I bet if you’d have tested the x3m non-comp with 20” wheels, with the right PSI in comfort mode, you wouldn’t have the same opinion.
This. Tires on dealer lots are often not inflated to spec pressures, and the reduced sidewall height associated with the 21" wheels provides less cushioning and will adversely affect ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I don't understand how people can say this, and honestly, even if it is stiff, it's an M car, that's the point, if you don't want it then get the M40i, it's an amazing option.
      06-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #20
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post

Rob
In the UK, they were doing £20k discounts and 2.9% APR. Then you factor in the much better residuals and the monthly's are less.

But yeah, fuel is ridiculous when the m340 is getting 40mpg although the same engined x3m40 is suffering 10mpg which i guess is simply the form factor
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #21
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Reading reviews similar to this, I almost didn't test drive the X3M. I went to the dealer to test drive an x5m since I was trading in an F15 X5 but I'm glad I did. The x5M felt soft and felt heavy and I couldn't imagine it being all that fun in the long run. As soon as I drove the X3M, I was sold. In many ways it reminded me of my e90 M3 but faster. It was light and nimble not just for an SUV but for any car

The X3M ride can be harsh, especially on the 21's, but it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I only have 1600 miles on it and it has already softened up since I drove it off the lot. I live in Manhattan where the roads are just awful. The bumps and uneven pavement can get be jarring at times but it's not enough to make me wish I had anything else.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #22
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post

No disrespect, but ride quality is the least of your worries. Let's say that x3m is a $100 more then anything else your looking at, your not taking insurance, tires and general maintenance into account. It doesn't seem like your quite ready for a full m. Try the x3m40i.
Appreciate 0